Thread: Rare 'German' Rifle

Rare 'German' Rifle

I have had some experience with air-rifles other than the BSA Airsporter (self-opening tap), namely the Weihrauch 'Export' rifle with which I was extremely impressed, although my close relationship with my own arm precluded an unpatriotic lapse.

The Frenchman, recently returned to the Cross Keys with his trademark onions and striped Breton jersey, has been regaling me with stories of a rare 'German' air rifle, made by the very Weihrauch foundry as made the Export.

Apparently there are only three in existence, and have the rare quality of complete accuracy. The margin of dispersion is 0.0, group sizes being the same size at ten paces as they are at 40. Of course striking-power reduces with distance, and regrettably they were only made in .177 (No.1 bore) due to the 'German Nation' causing such trouble with small-arms in their brief history.

The rifle is called a 'Weihrauch HW 01 Meisterluftwaffenstutzenshutzenperfektstrafenleibe nsfrausubermaussparkassenleiter'
    It is a break-barrel with the lock of a HW55, but all other parts are handmade, hand-ground and hand-baked.

Apparently, the wife of a Weihrauch worker complained that he was always 31 minutes late on Thursdays and Fridays. He explicated that he was making sure the foundry equipment was in 100% perfect condition, so that the products were made to a recognised standard of perfection.

She retorted that perfection was 'not attainable in this world'. He retorted by secretly manufacturing the HW 01, the perfect 'air-powered lead-slinger'.

Further production of the 01 was suppressed as it would destroy the market for any other airgun, ever. And also it took 2000 hours of hand-work to produce each one, thus making it cost over $120,000 per unit.

Allegedly, NASA were planning to take one to the Moon , as one pellet fired 2m above the lunar surface would return to the firer a few inches lower sometime later, thus giving a more accurate circumference measure of the Moon than has been previously available.

Only three HW 01s were made. If anyone has seen them, at least give report of them, as all in the Cross Keys think the Frenchman is a mendacious liar-fish. According to him they were stolen by a pack of Alsatian dogs in the winter of '56.

Yours in Sport

Mr D
    Last edited by Mr D; 18-10-2009 at 06:04 PM.

I have heard about this rare beast, which I think was known in the factory as the "Meistersmauss(nus)" - the last bit referring to its walnut stock (nussbaum). I believe Dr Beeman has one in his collection. I've also heard a similar story about the NASA project but the version I heard involved using a Whiscombe, for obvious reasons.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I have a few HW guns myself,i would love to add one of those to my collection,in no3 bore.
    Regards
    les

Ill just check my collection.....Na none there.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    I seem to recall that the proposed sales logo for the rifles was "Vorspringer durch Technik" but it was abandoned when they realised they had priced themselves out of the market.

elad is offline Pie Man cos me like PIE
    HELLO

no one lookingoff you go nothing to see here

The shiny thing under the stairs nope havent seen one

are you following me what no not got one

(just going to polish my shiny thing under the stairs)I mean make some tea yes thats it make some tea
    Eat Pie everything's better after Pie

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    You are forgetting one thing a spring airgun wont operate in a vacumm, no air to drive the projectile

Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
    You are forgetting one thing a spring airgun wont operate in a vacumm, no air to drive the projectile

The Meisterluftwaffenstutzenshutzenperfektstrafenleibe nsfrausubermaussparkassenleiter'
    was fitted with its own air-supply taken from a 'rare air-well' in the Caucases, smuggled in by Greek tradesmen in copper-lined gourds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr D View Post
    The Meisterluftwaffenstutzenshutzenperfektstrafenleibe nsfrausubermaussparkassenleiter'
    was fitted with its own air-supply taken from a 'rare air-well' in the Caucases, smuggled in by Greek tradesmen in copper-lined gourds.
    How odd I thought that the special gas was supplied by Tauruscrappusfermentus - however I stand to be corrected.

I heard that this particular rifle was designed to deal with the Clangers if they ever got ideas above their station and became uppity.
    Quite how the Soup Dragon would be despatched I am unable to say, other than it would need at least .25 calibre to bring it down.

Bob

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob1957 View Post
    I heard that this particular rifle was designed to deal with the Clangers if they ever got ideas above their station and became uppity.
    Quite how the Soup Dragon would be despatched I am unable to say, other than it would need at least .25 calibre to bring it down.

Bob
    Although dimensionally identical to the imperial .25 inch, you will find the barrel stamped in the Teutonic scale of calibre .It would have been stamped ....

"Luftgewehr........Drache Mörder......Spitzkugeln 6.35 Kal"

And I think you will also find they are re-swaged from unjacketed Bergmann M1896 bullet heads as the calibre failed miserably as a German equivalent to the .25 ACP pistol round......It tended to merely annoy rather than injure your opponent on the battlefield.....a rough translation of the time for the pistol was "arsche tikler" .....Bergmann wasn't really a gun man you see, more of an entrepreneur......He simply bought the patent of Hungarian watchmaker Otto Brauswetter's design for a locked-breech self-loader without thought of muzzle energy, knock down power etc........a dainty collectors item, but not a thing with which to trust your life to when there are ruffians abroad......

Funny old world eh!

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Although dimensionally identical to the imperial .25 inch, you will find the barrel stamped in the Teutonic scale of calibre .It would have been stamped ....

"Luftgewehr........Drache Mörder......Spitzkugeln 6.35 Kal"

And I think you will also find they are re-swaged from unjacketed Bergmann M1896 bullet heads as the calibre failed miserably as a German equivalent to the .25 ACP pistol round......It tended to merely annoy rather than injure your opponent on the battlefield.....a rough translation of the time for the pistol was "arsche tikler" .....Bergmann wasn't really a gun man you see, more of an entrepreneur......He simply bought the patent of Hungarian watchmaker Otto Brauswetter's design for a locked-breech self-loader without thought of muzzle energy, knock down power etc........a dainty collectors item, but not a thing with which to trust your life to when there are ruffians abroad......

Funny old world eh!
    Thank you for that. It's comforting to know that we are prepared for the Clanger uprising, should it ever happen.
    However, the .25 (6.35) calibre pellet would be considered inhumane for use against Clangers, and should therefore only be brought in to play to counter the afrorementioned dragon.

Bob

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob1957 View Post
    Thank you for that. It's comforting to know that we are prepared for the Clanger uprising, should it ever happen.
    However, the .25 (6.35) calibre pellet would be considered inhumane for use against Clangers, and should therefore only be brought in to play to counter the afrorementioned dragon.

Bob
    Agreed, no one likes overkill and mess....and they (the .177's) are of the same advanced (swaged down) design as the .25's.........The "holy grail" of pellet collecting.....I had a couple of PM's dismissing my bergmann story, as was quite put out to be honest.....This collecting lark is grown up, serious stuff!...Anyway, I have decided to post a pic of said ammo, very much thought and consideration has gone into it, as it is super rare stuff, and there are security issues to consider due to the high,uninsurable nature of this collectors item etc. .....It was only made for 7 3/4 weeks due to protests from clanger fans around the world, and image copyright issues and writs from the BBC......so here goes, hope I don't get into to much trouble.

The 6.35 (.25) is in the large tin with the banned label, the normal issue stuff for major, mother, tiny etc. is shown below......There is also a puny eley wasp .177 for comparison and research purposes......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7607964699940/

Lord help the Clangers when they see their prized superweapon brought down.
    After their defeat, the best option would be to sell all survivors in to slavery.
    The rank and file Clangers would be well employed as dishmops, and their leaders fastened to sticks and used as toilet brushes, to deter any other wooly species from the folly of revolt.

Bob

The bring down of Clangers is remarkably easy. Ive dropped many a clanger in my life.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk