Thread: Re-Blue/Black

Re-Blue/Black

I'm undretaking some projects this winter,mainly older airguns and was wondering if there was anyone here that could offer the service of hot blueing/blacking.I can strip and polish all the metalwork before hand.The local guy I used in the past has given it up.
    While I'm on the subject of this type of refinishing,I was thinking about setting up my own tanks and have looked with detail on the process and equipment needed,do you think there would be enough interested parties.
    I realise this wont make me rich,but more in the form of a hobby that pays for it's self. Cheers ,Pat.

Collin Malloy , at Manchester airguns has a very good reputation,
    0161 681 7947
    , .22 Midas , .177 TX200 SR. ZASTAVA PISTOL.177.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    As far as doing it yourself goes, it is not for the faint hearted. I have hot blued several pistols and a few rifles, and it involves concentrated solutions of caustic soda and sodium nitrite at 140 oC. The baths have to be constantly topped up with water, which is very dangerous on a large scale, as it spits and boils like mad. Having said that, you can get really good results with a little practice.

Go for it Pat. I'm sure there will be plenty of help, advice and work from "the Gentlemans" section. Good Luck, let us know what you decide. ATVB
    Mark

Bluing

Try bluing a pistol first, you can do it on the hob in an old stainless steel saucepan if you are careful. The materials will cost less than £10 and taking few simple precautions you will be rewarded with a lovely finish, comparable to most new guns.

Bluing

Collins Chemical Blacking in Carshalton Surrey might be of help. They are on the web or look in the back of Classic Bike or Classic Motorcycle Mechanics magazine