Thread: From bull's eyes to Bull's arse. ??

From bull's eyes to Bull's arse. ??

My fine Light Pattern which was shooting like a dream suddenly started spraying lead around like a shotgun. I checked all the screws and cleaned the barrel but there was no improvement, in fact it was getting worse so I decided to strip it down and here's what I found..

http://www.pbase.com/davecthomson/image/118586281

This is the first time I have ever stripped an old BSA and I was pleasantly surprised at how easily she came apart.
    I have decided to replace the piston seal with a modern Delrin one, I approached Dave of "Bonnie and Clyde" and he said he will make one for me, he really is a genuine nice guy.

The rifle was shooting at round 6.5 ft/lbs before this happened, I'm not sure if I should replace the spring or not although it looks a bit worn in places.
    I looked on Chambers site but there are no Light pattern springs on there. Are there any alternative springs that would fit? Maybe Cadet or Meteor ?
    Thanks for looking....Dave...

spring

Knibbs does a good one but it is too long, it will need to be cut down. Would be interesting to see how it works with a synthetic washer. +1 on Bonnie & Clyde, Dave is a nice guy. PS how is the Breakdown Pattern going?

edbear2 Guest
    Hi mate........you cant really complain after 70 years.......that looks like an original (or at least genuine BSA) washer unit...IMHO the light model is a cracking gun..every one I have shot or owned seems to be very accurate and its a perfect balanced little gem.....in the photo your piston looks to be in good condition, but again IMHO would benefit from a polish on the bearing areas. On the seal front, I too am trying a synthetic unit..I got mine from maccari...linky thing here;

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395025

Job has progressed a bit......The maccari unit is fitted to the (slightly shortened) piston....I have counterbored the block to allow for a stepped delrin spring guide. The spring to piston clearance is marginal, so am working on this, also on how to do a top hat as the piston head has a machined notch for the cocking lever .......The cylinder has been honed and polished, and the top drilled and tapped for a Leupold one piece scope mtg (off a BAR)......hoping for a smooth, 10.5 -11 pound rifle in .177, with a nice old all steel weaver 10x scope....

Thanks for sharing your experience, nice pics ....

Quote Originally Posted by Prewar View Post
    Knibbs does a good one but it is too long, it will need to be cut down. Would be interesting to see how it works with a synthetic washer. +1 on Bonnie & Clyde, Dave is a nice guy. PS how is the Breakdown Pattern going?
    Hi Scott, I was looking in Hillers guide and it says a Meteor spring cut down will fit Cadets and Cadet Majors and as they are only about a tenner from Chambers I thought I would try one of those, I expect Knibbs will be expensive.

The Breakdown Pattern is fine although my Wife isn't keen on shooting it she prefers a Webley Junior, maybe its because I shot a hole in her curtains when I meddled with the trigger setting
    I will take some pics when I get all the parts and reassemble the gun.
    Dave..

Job has progressed a bit......The maccari unit is fitted to the (slightly shortened) piston....I have counterbored the block to allow for a stepped delrin spring guide. The spring to piston clearance is marginal, so am working on this, also on how to do a top hat as the piston head has a machined notch for the cocking lever .......The cylinder has been honed and polished, and the top drilled and tapped for a Leupold one piece scope mtg (off a BAR)......hoping for a smooth, 10.5 -11 pound rifle in .177, with a nice old all steel weaver 10x scope....[/QUOTE]

Hi Ed, I think the piston seal is the original BSA one, the gun looks as though its never been apart before, no mullering on any screws and everything tidy inside.

Looks like you have been busy with your project some pictures would be nice before you reassemble it. A scope mount off a BAR ? A Browning Automatic Rifle ?? I have fired one in my military past but never saw one with a scope on, amazing..
    I'm not capable of the more skilful side of engineering, so I sent my T pattern BSA off to Dave of "Bonnie and Clyde" and he is working his magic on it for me. Its the first pre war BSA he's ever worked on, he tells me it should be very smooth and running at between 10-11 ft/lbs when he is done with it.
    Dave...

If you have spring problems, it is worth contacting Chambers with the spring dimensions you require. It seems they have a database and can look up what other rifle has the spring size you need. I have done this for old rifles and they have been most helpful.
    Cheers, Phil

Hi Phil, thanks for that info, I will give them a ring about it..
    Dave...

Thats what happens when you use cat slugs .. I bet the previous owner was a bit dodgey too