Thread: Webley mk3---what colour?

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Webley mk3---what colour?

Ive got a dog rough 2nd series Webley mk 3. The right side of the stock was broken off and the threads in the stock screw holes were butchered etc. The stock is very dark and I suspect someone may have varnished it years ago. rubbed down where Ive repaired the stock and it seems quite light underneath. So what was the original colour and finish?
    I have got the action working now but think the slot in the piston needs a touch of weld on it. The LH thread in the trigger block has been tapped to 3/8 Whitworth etc. I just want to get another wreck up and running.

keith66 is online now Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    There was considerable variation on colour of wood on these, they were all walnut some quite light in colour & others reddish, one i foolishly sold a few years ago had a black walnut stock. The original finish was a type of laquer i think.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Webley Mk3 ---What colour?

This is (I guess) about 1952 as the no is 14500ish. It is very dark and does look like it could be lacquer as it is a bit crazed and has a few chips---Id say its dark walnut colour. I was toying with stripping it off but if its original will just leave it. I think there are 16 flutes on the sides of the stock.

i have a few MK3's. The one i have that is fluted is much lighter than the other 3 (one is reddish one is blackish and one has no stock ) but there was a very wide variation on the wood/colours, anyway the fluted version i have is a similar colour to a hw80

Here are my two, an early and a late one, they're a similar colour but the later version has a bit more grain...

>>>mk3 comparison<<<

>>>again<<<

they look different in this pic

>>>one more<<<

john
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

Thumbs up reply

there you have it guy any colour so long as its pine-ish to darkish walnut ,ive seen just about everyshade in between! the most surprising example i came across was owned by a gypsy type who lived locally,something of a poacher i suspect he had " wait for it carbined it" well now ive said it phew still chills me to the bone even now;strangely he must have had some skill because it had been successfully crowned and dyed to a very attractive darkly polished finish,kitted out with a small high quality scope and home made leather sling ,i almost bought it on account of its individuality but the thought of the hacksaw cutting away at the barrel stopped any idea of that.hope i havent put any ideas into your head!!!.
    regards bob
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,