Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eley ammo

Yes, if you're putting them right in the middle, using Club doesn't matter. Not sure how far I would trust it outdoors, but indoors at 25yds it should be fine. You may lose the odd marginal shot because the ragged hole allows the plug to tear out, but it's not bad stuff.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

Quote Originally Posted by richardio123 View Post
    Sounds like the rifle should be good, the x at the end of the serial number means it is a picked barrel because of its accuracy.

On the ammo front I would say, I shot a pos with Eley (brown box, £3) and last night while I used my Tenex and averaged a 98.5 over the evening, one of the guys did 99's all night with club!!!!!! I also think if you have it in your head the ammo is the problem sort it out and shoot happy. A good shot is a good shot and almost certainly result in a 10 whatever the ammo especially at short range ;-)
    I here what is being said regarding the lower grade ammo being accurate for some folk and their rifles but OTOH, it has been said and is a fact, that batch testing, different lots can have violently different results in a given rifle. From the beginning of my ventures into .22 target shooting, I have mostly used E'Match of various batches. Purchasing 400 at a time. I have had varying results but always put it down to my poor shooting if it went wrong. On one occasion I purchased a tin of 500 Magazine, because I was told that they shot very well and were cheap. Apart from all the grease on them, they were average in my experience. The recent use of a batch of E'Club, which gave me terrible results, which I again put down to my own inability to shoot accurately and it pi**ed me off, caused me to immediately, (at the same venue and time), Change over to shooting a couple of groups with my latest batch of E'Match. I didn't remove my jacket or anything else between the change. I just got down and shot.The change in accuracy was so immediate and to me astounding, that I am certain that this batch with it's particular speed rating suits my rifle extremely well. I shall attempt to get another batch as close to that speed rating as possible and see how it and I perform.

Thanks for all the very useful advice and comments.
    Bob G

Oops

BigAl,

You may well be right regarding the 16xx series actions not having the belleville washers.

Bob,

If that's the case then kindly disregard the information regarding spacers - may be of use to someone else though!

The 16xx guns were a bit of a halfway stage between the old 14xx series guns and the newer 18xx and then 19xx series guns. If the two bedding screws have a stack of dished washers (5or 6 IIRC) that are fixed in place on the shank then you have Belville washers. These are designed to keep the torque constant as enviromental conditions change. for example as the humidity changes the wood of the stock swells or contracts, changing the torque. Many shooters will replace the washers with a spacer, although I suppose you could just use much shorter machine screws rather than bolts.
    As to ammunition choice, I hope the following is helpful:

___Make___ Average ___SD__ Number of cards

Overall

Eley Match _95.06_ __1.95_ 112
    Geco_____ _94.36_ __1.79_ 2

25 yard

Eley match _96.28_ __1.66_ 25
    Geco_____ _94.58_ __1.84_ 24

I have not posted the long range results as it is really stasistically irrlavent as I shot 87 cards with Match and one with Geco. As you can see using quality ammo over a year, in this case 2006/7, gives a 1.7 point per card advantage to the quality ammo even at 25 yards. Also for your information the Geco was all from the same batch, well it was at least allfrom the same case of 5000 rounds. The Eley Match was from two different batches one listed at 1061fps and the last 6 cards 1064fps. If anyone is interested I will have a look at the stats between the batches of match.

Hope this is of interest.

Alan
    Last edited by BigAl; 25-10-2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: getting the formatting correct

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    The 16xx guns were a bit of a halfway stage between the old 14xx series guns and the newer 18xx and then 19xx series guns.
    Yes, albeit 16xx is a designation that was made up afterwards by shooting nerds - I don't believe Anschutz ever used it. In any case Anschutz marked all the "16xx" serial numbers with an "X"; it's nothing to do with having selected barrels. The poster who said so above is talking b*ll*x. There's an urban legend that they all tended to have better than average barrels, but I don't think there's any conclusive evidence on this and Anschutz, for obvious reasons, isn't saying.
    Last edited by sandy22; 27-10-2009 at 11:31 PM.

In any case Anschutz marked all the "16xx" serial numbers with an "X"; it's nothing to do with having selected barrels. The poster who said so above is talking b*ll*x. There's an urban legend that they all tended to have better than average barrels, but I don't think there's any conclusive evidence on this and Anschutz, for obvious reasons, isn't saying.
    There is another factor with the so-called 16xx barrels, to quote from "Ways of the Rifle" Edition 1, pp188:
    Old rifles from the 70s and early 80s were built of higher quality stell. Especial fame is especially accorded to Anschutz barrels with serial numbers between 16xxxx and 19xxxx......
    I have what I always called one of the last 1413s but now see it referred to as a "1613". It has as serial no 177191x, right in the middle of the range above and it was a quite exceptional barrel. I never believed the story about the "x" suffix at the time, but much more recently someone retailed it to me again citing the passge from Ways of the Rifle as justification! Talk about an urban myth!!

Rutty