Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Views on the New Webley Alecto

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I spent quite a bit of the down time between the six yarders playing with this pistol on Saturday. First impression was it was a bit too plasticky and the twin release catches were too fiddly.
    However, you soon get the knack of opening it and it becomes instinctive.
    The plastic? Well to be fair it ought to be called polymer, plastic is what airfix kits are made from, this stuff is streets ahead of that and very well engineered to boot. Its what the gun is made from and it does its job, well.
    Cocking effort on one stroke I would say is less than the Gamo compact. Two strokes significantly more but not to too difficult. Three strokes requires quite a bit of effort but it's not likely to be a serious problem as I can't envisage a need for repetitive shooting at full power, in pistol HFT you presumably get some breathing space as you change target.
    The trigger. Well all that I can say is that once I'd pulled it a couple of times to gauge travel and pressure it didn't then feature in my thoughts for the rest of the day, what more can you say, at this price point it's superb.
    There will be an Alecto in my collection, just don't know when.
    Did the Webley man get them both back? Only one seemed to keep getting stuck in TargetBunny's inside pocket all day
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Alecto

This looks ideal for our Silhouette Pistol comps (10/15/20/25 metres). I'll check out the Airgun Centre on Sunday and see if they've got one in stock.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Anyone know how much it weighs?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hi Jim

It felt slightly light to me, the reasons I think were unconscious and that (a) it felt lighter than you'd expect for the size (thickness of the body, chunky grips etc) and (b) it felt light compared to my HW75 which is all metal and wood. It also felt slightly muzzle light, and the power on the higher settings led to noticeable muzzle flip. Mounting a red dot would help a lot with that.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    Hi Jim

It felt slightly light to me, the reasons I think were unconscious and that (a) it felt lighter than you'd expect for the size (thickness of the body, chunky grips etc) and (b) it felt light compared to my HW75 which is all metal and wood. It also felt slightly muzzle light, and the power on the higher settings led to noticeable muzzle flip. Mounting a red dot would help a lot with that.
    Hmmm....I prefer pistols a bit on the heavy side, especially muzzle heavy. Adam, how would you say that it compares with the HW 40 in these respects?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I don't have an HW40 to compare with Jim, so can't say on that but from memory there is a reasonable amount of room inside the top housing so it should be possible to add some weight inside if necessary to get more at the muzzle.
    I found that the muzzle flip was noticeable at full power (three pumps) but was almost non-existent on low power (one pump).
    Jef

Jim I've not shot a HW40 recently enough to compare. If I was forced to take a guess I'd say the Alecto was a little heavier than the 40.

Yes the flip was noticeable on two pumps but I noticed a little even on one. It's not a criticism though. Maybe it's the way I hold them but every air pistol I have ever shot moves on firing. The deadest I have shot is the LP10 but even that, with it's rear moving compensator weight and ported barrel, still moves a bit.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Anyone know how much it weighs?

Jim
    1060g (just weighed one!!!)

Cheers.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    I've been re reading this thread and there were at least 10+ people who were going to buy one of these. I bought one and then sold it to cookie simply because my hands were too big for the grip. Only 2 have appeared in the UBC comps, one was mine, now cookie's and the other belongs to Ric O'shay who wasn't mentioned in this thread.

Were people put off by the bad press showing this to be a re badged existing Turkish pistol

Was it the lack of availability before Christmas

Did you decide in hindsight that what you already owned wouldn't be bettered by this

Over to you guys & gals
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

I was intending to purchase one, although I don't think I posted to that effect on this thread, but I have not, yet.
    I have been side tracked by the purchase of a Colt 1911, resulting in the need to save up my pennies again (well £2 coins actually). I was well on my way when I got the urge to hunt out a FWB 65/80. This also worked out well with the purchase of a 65 so back to saving again. Then I got the chance of an SMK XS78, a long standing ambition, at a very good price.
    Ho hum, I may yet get an Alecto, it's still on my wish list......
    .....but currently in third place
    Jef

Quote Originally Posted by jefL View Post
    There will be an Alecto in my collection, just don't know when.
    Did the Webley man get them both back? Only one seemed to keep getting stuck in TargetBunny's inside pocket all day
    Well said Garry, I was looking for a reason to hang on to the Compact.
    I'll guess the Alecto will have to be an additional gun then when I can save the necessary funds. May take a while as THIS arrived earlier this week courtesy of Eddiekneejerk. Cheers Ed

NB Ed's picture

Sorry mate, you did twice
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

Oops! I had a feeling while I was compiling that post that I should re-read this thread.

Still, making myself look a chump keeps you lot amused.
    Ah well, C'est la Vie.
    Jef

Oops! I had a feeling while I was compiling that post that I should re-read this thread.
    Oh you so should have
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

It's a very nice gun and I may have one one day but looking at my collection I've realised I need to have less of a magpie mentality, and concentrate on fewer items, but ones that really suit my needs. The Alecto does many things well but I already have pistols in those niches.

Angry Return to sender

In reply to whoever it was asked, I regret to say that the "Webley man" DID get the pistols back and the only fun I had was helping him prise the "Prototype carbine" from Tony's warm and extremely tenacious hand.

Yes I still want one but "She who Must Be Obeyed" is against "More guns" and I will not sell any of my current collection.

Target Bunny.
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!