Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Views on the New Webley Alecto

Views on the New Webley Alecto

Hi Guy's and Gal's, those of you that were at the UBC meet on Saturday and had a go with the New Webley Alecto please leave your reviews here

At first glance it looks a bit like a cross between a HW40 and a Compact. On handling it I was surprised at the wieght, it was a little heavier than it looked, but when raising it up to take aim you realize it's actually a very nicely balanced pistol. The Grip is a little on the large side if you have small hands, though the shape and adjustable palm shelf did give me a nice fit.
    Now the important bit, what was the trigger like? All i can say is that it was fantastic, it felt very crisp and light and was a pleasure to use. the saftey catch was placed just in front of the trigger so it could be flicked off to fire very easily with your index finger. the multi pump worked well and if you over pumped, it would push excess out through an exhaust port. It had very good fully adjustable sights with a front post that could be pushed round to allow a higher post to pop up. The Alecto also has a top rail and a bottom accessory rail so you can fit all your scopes, red-dot, laser, torches etc. The Alecto was a joy to shoot straight out of the box, I can see this pistol getting even better once worn in with some lead down the barrel.

All in all this is a great Pistol that i think will become a great starter pistol for those wanting to get into Target Pistol Shooting. For those of us that just enjoy to shoot, you will love it. I will be ordering mine shortly.

Thank you to Webley for letting the Umarex Boys Club have the chance to try out the great little pistol.
    Last edited by cookie; 26-10-2009 at 09:31 AM.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Thumbs up Alecto pistol

Yet another good review, hope you enjoy when you get one...mike...

Damn this Webley Alecto

Was just seriously thinking about venturing back into the world of pistols and thinking about purchasing another HW40 for my sins (regret selling previous one) when the Webley Alecto was brought to my attention

Having spent the best part of the afteroon reading all the threads on here and elswhere about this 'New Webley' looks like my wallet will take a battering when these go on general sale

Love the looks and love the Power settings option, will be perfect for me to use the lower setting for my garage range to keep the noise to a whisper and the higher power setting for fun down my club on spinners, knockdowns and further away targets

I can also see the Rail underneath coming in very handy for a bit of Laser fun also

I want one and want it now

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    I will be buying one,
    I like the engineering, metal internals around the breech/valve where others use plastic.
    SSP power with one stroke, more with two and near legal limit with three.
    Seeing the result of the Snooker shoot-off at the meet showed what this could do in the right hands, the fact that neither of them held it before the day speaks volumes on it's useability!
    Love it!
    Nick
    Last edited by magicniner; 25-10-2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Dyslexic fingers - AGAIN!

Alecto pistol

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    I will be buying one,
    I like the engineering, metal internals around the breech/valve where others use plastic.
    SSP power with one stroke, more with two and near legal limit with three.
    Seeing the result of the Snooker shoot-off at the meet showed what this could do in the right hands, the fact that neither of them held it before the day speaks volumes on it's useability!
    Love it!
    Nick
    How hard/easy is it to cock for 1 stroke?...mike...

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Mike,
    It seemed easier than my Beeman 2004 ( HW40 copy), I'd have to have both together & compare though, I'm a bit of shovel handed ape
    Clare (Cerebral Chasm) had more of a play and had no problems, if she's tried an HW40 Clare may be able to give a more objective view?
    It's a sweet pistol,
    It Will Be Mine!
    Nick

Crossposted from the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    Very nice gun. Feels a bit bigger in the hand than a HW40 or Compact. The body of the pistol is a little chunkier to accommodate a broader air cylinder. The whole body of the pistol is plastic unlike the Gamo which has steel side pieces. I can't remember whether the HW40 is similar. This makes the pistol fairly light for its size and very pointable. I had a slight concern that this might be less rigid but could see no signs of flexing under load of cocking.

Cocking effort is very light for the first stroke. Power is reckoned to be about 3 ft.lbs on one stroke. We didn't have a chrono but it certainly felt to have enough poke even on one stroke, and a little more than my HW75 which does about 2.5 ft.lbs.

The second stroke takes a little more effort. I'd guess this one is similar effort to the HW40's. Judging by the way the spinners reacted, power is noticeably higher on this setting. This comes with a bit more crack on firing and a little more muzzle flip. The third stroke is stiffer again, but not too difficult if you're used to the knack of cocking single stroke pistols. A louder crack and a bit more flip is the result. It certainly feels like it could be near the limit.

The trigger is light and smooth, but on the test guns there was no stop between first and second stage. To be honest I don't know if it's supposed to be a 2 stage trigger, but I would hope so. Hopefully some adjustment will bear fruit here. It's certainly a predictable let off point and easy to shoot accurately.

There is a weaver rail on the forward part of the lever/barrel assembly for a red dot and a picatinny style rail underneath for a laser or torch.
    I'd add that this pistol is a perfect low-cost alternative to the usual PCP suspects at pistol FT/HFT. It's full power, accurate, self-contained, nice trigger and has a weaver rail built in. One of these and an inexpensive weaver red-dot off the bay and you're off, with plenty of change from 200 notes for some pellets.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by mickson View Post
    I would say pretty easy. It seemed easier than my HW75 and easier still than an HW40. I've not shot a Gamo for years so can't make a comparison.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Thumbs up Alecto pistol

I would say pretty easy. It seemed easier than my HW75 and easier still than an HW40. I've not shot a Gamo for years so can't make a comparison.
    Thanks for the info...mike...

Adam,

Would you say the sound levels are on a par with the HW40 on the low power setting?

Tia

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by mickson View Post
    Mike,

I had a go with Cookies HW45 yesterday on one of the comps and had to ask him or Delta1 to close it for me as I just don't have the upper arm strength.

I had no problem on single pump cocking the Alecto. The Alecto has two clamps that need to be released at the same time, which I found a bit fiddly. Pulling it open was no problem and it needs little pressure to close it again. Two pumps was doable but a bit of an effort and three pumps - not a chance in hell for me.

Clare
    Last edited by Cerebral Chasm; 25-10-2009 at 09:17 PM.
    I am a Lady
    AA S200 Mk3, Walther CP99, Soon to own a Webley Alecto

Webley Alecto pneumatic pistol

A lovely pistol.

Now I have had a sleep I can write a bit more on my thoughts of the new Alecto.

As someone new to air guns I wish I had waited and made it my first pistol. As it is it will be the second one in my going-to-grow collection.

How does it look? Big and black. To be honest I am not enamoured of the looks. It does look a bit plasticy. But the looks pale into insignificance once you actually hold it. Unlike Cookie I thought the Alecto was lighter than it looked and was pleasantly surprised. It has dual release clamps which I found a little awkward, but I will get used to them in time. Once opened you see the pneumatic cylinder and release valve, which look well engineered, all nice and shiny. I like shiny things. Saying that I thought that the trigger and safety both being silver with the rest of the pistol being black cheapened the look for me. I would have preferred to see it in black. Cookie mentioned about small hands. I think I have average sized hands for a lady and I found it fine. Although the palm rest will need to be adjusted up just a tiny bit when I get mine.

The Alecto has a 1, 2 or 3 pump option. The single pump action was great for 6 yard as was the double pump. I can’t comment on the third pump as I don’t have good enough arm muscles – maybe I need to learn the technique, because if it only takes brute force then I’ll never get 3 pumps out of it. It would be a case of only using three pumps when Cookie or Delta1 were around to do the pumping for me, just like the HW45 on Saturday.

I adore the moulded grip with moulds for your trigger finger, thumb and wrap fingers. The nicest touch for me was the safety switch being immediately in front of the trigger. I really like that you operated it with a quick flick of your trigger finger.

The trigger, I found nice and light and like everything else it is adjustable. I’d like to get to play around with the trigger, but would more than likely go back to factory settings, as I was more than happy with the way the mechanism worked.

Another thing I didn’t get chance to play around with were the adjustable sights.

Is there anything I have forgotten? Oh yes... Shooting it. The Alecto sits very nicely in my hand (I prefer to shoot one-handed). I liked the sights and the trigger was smooth and there was no recoil - so more chance of me hitting the target. Nicely balanced and as mentioned before, lighter than it looks. I didn’t spend a lot of time shooting it as the boys wanted to play. But having spent time watching them and especially the shoot out on the snooker spinners (where neither shooter had used the Alecto before and one of them scored a 147) speaks lots for it’s accuracy.

I think what Webley really need to do is let me have one for a while so that I can do a more in-depth review as a lady shooter and someone new to the sport.

Guess what I am buying as my next pistol at the end of November
    I am a Lady
    AA S200 Mk3, Walther CP99, Soon to own a Webley Alecto

Talking Alecto pistol again

Thanks for a good report, as a now weakened male it may! be what i need to keep shooting or possibly a tau7...mike... Nearly forgot congrats on Ur performance with a borrowed pistol in the PCP shoot
    Last edited by mickson; 25-10-2009 at 10:11 PM.

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    Short & sweet for me. Nice weight, not too light, well balanced. Silky smooth trigger, one stroke/pump a lot easier than my Gamo Compact. Build quality seems good. Whisper quiet on one stroke, easily good for 6yds. Great safety, very accurate.

Final verdict, I'm placing an order for mine tomorrow

Paul
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Another Short & Sweet reply I'll leave the indepth review with the people who can shoot

For me I liked the looks, build quality. The only thing for me is being a left hander I couldn't appreciate the grip properly. However I was still able to shoot it without it being too uncomfortable.

I'd be really interested in trying a dedicated Left Hand version.

Then having said that if Sinead or Sloan would want to have ago with my one they'd struggle. So will there be a Ambi grip Alecto?

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK