Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Views on the New Webley Alecto

Spoke to Simon from Webley, he is thankful of the feedback from all at the U.B.C Meet & the support we have shown the company

Me I'd definetley have one. However with me being Left Handed & Sinead Right Handed, it would mean purchasing two. However I've asked the question whether there would be an ambi stock?

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Quote Originally Posted by mickson View Post
    Went to my rfd today re Alecto he did'nt have a clue so i gave it up as a bad job
    hope U get Urs soon...mike...
    Ehhhhhh, What this Gary not clued up at walkers?

Surely some mistake mind you its not got theoben or rapid stamped on it

Went to my rfd today re Alecto he did'nt have a clue so i gave it up as a bad job
    hope U get Urs soon...mike...
    I have emailed Webley asking if they can send me a list of all the RFD's who are going to stock the Alecto so that I can post it on here. If you phone the number on their website and press option 4 you get to speak to a lovely lady who will be able to tell you whether or not any of your local RFD's are on their list.
    I am a Lady
    AA S200 Mk3, Walther CP99, Soon to own a Webley Alecto

Exclamation Clued UP

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    Ehhhhhh, What this Gary not clued up at walkers?

Surely some mistake mind you its not got theoben or rapid stamped on it
    Got to be fair it was'nt Walkers, ...mike...

Got to be fair it was'nt Walkers, ...mike...
    Ah my bad Just putting your location and local RFD together and coming up with 5 Doh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jefL View Post
    Not sure I totally agree with that. Granted the Alecto has a very good trigger straight out of the box (assuming that the ones we had on test hadn't been tweaked) but after three different mods to my Compact trigger, that too is now very good, not much to choose between them.
    Fair comment Jef, maybe I should've qualified that by saying I've only done the trigger screw mod to my Compact.

However, my missus loved it and said in front of

SEVERAL WITNESSES

that I could have one!

Seriously though, it's a subjective thing. The trigger's not bad, but the standard Compact grips don't fit me too well and cause me pain on prolonged shooting. I know I could faff about and sand them down to a perfect fit, but that isn't me; I like to be able to pick up a gun and feel comfortable shooting it, then clean it and put it away until next time. I just feel I could do that better with the Webley.

My thoughts on the Alecto

Hey guy's and gal's,

As most of you know, I think I was probably the greatest sceptic as to what the Alecto would be like, given all the bad press from people as to whats happened to Webley products over the last few years and having almost made the mistake of buying a Typhoon last year.

I got to play with the Alecto on the range and I shot many targets with it and although the sight's were not set up for me, I got consistant sub half inch groups using a wide variety of pellets
    If I had taken the time to set up the sight's correctly and adjusted the palm shelf for my hands I would have no doubt reduced the group further and been spot on the bull one the target.

I gave it a really good test and I repeated many of the targets at all three power levels and I have to say I was extremely impressed with the Alecto.
    I loved the feel of the pistol, its looks (although I think the palmshelf looks odd on such a tactical looking pistol) and its superb operation
    Another great feature is the supeb placement of the safety catch. I am a sod for forgetting to disengage the safety on my pistols, the placement of the saftey on the Alecto means that when I place my finger near the trigger, I feel the catch and instinctively disengage with a tiny movement of my finger before I place my pad on the trigger. SO EASY and I don't have to lower the pistol like I do with most
    This pistol will help greatly restore the name of Webley back to what it should be

You all know I'm a picky son of a bitch, but I would give the Alecto a good 8.5 maybe even a nine out of 10
    It is now at the very TOP of my pistol wish list

On the same theme, I got to play with quite a few Webley Rifles including the Venom Viper, Black Widow, Venom Sidewinder and the newly produced untested 'Concept' carbine.
    I have to say, Webley is well and truely climbing the reputation ladder again in my eyes.
    My next rifle will be the Venom Sidewinder.

Many thanks to Brian at Webley for bringing the guns to Coventry

Tony
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

Wink Prickly!!

Prickly, Tony oh perish the thought,no more prickly than I am sarky
    ...mike...

More musings on the Alecto

After having time to think, to read all the other people's thoughts and re-read my own review, I think my review was very straightforward and factual but did not give a true impression how much I like this pistol. IMHO it is the best all-round air pistol you can buy at the price point.

In my review was a little critical of the trigger and I do hope that it can be adjusted to a nice crisp second stage let-off. However thinking back to shooting the snooker target with it, I got into a rhythm with it very quickly and from then on I could mentally put the pellet exactly where I wanted it (well, almost!). After half a dozen shots the trigger break did not impinge on my mind at all. This sort of instinctive shooting is what you strive for, especially with pistols.

I'd love to see what it could do with a decent red dot at longer range, rested and freehand. I think the forward mounting rail might stretch the eye relief of a pistol scope a bit, especially if you're a gibbon, but a nice panoramic dot would be great. It's already a winner but if it can group tightly at long range on 2 and 3 pumps then that would be the icing on the cake.

I too thought the twin release catches a bit fiddly. Not sure why there couldn't be a single thumb release button like on the HW75 or Gamo. And if only it looked a bit less like a Desert Eagle, had a blued steel body and a stippled wooden grip, and the weaver rail went all the way back, it would be perfection! But as it is, it's still pretty damn good.

I would be tempted to drill a 6mm hole in the rear of the plastic top section, in line with the barrel. The overlever HWs have a gap at the back which allows you to look down through the barrel and gives easy access for pull-throughs or cleaning rods. This would be easy to do and would be a very useful feature.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Anyone know how much it weighs?

Jim
    1060g (just weighed one!!!)

Cheers.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    I've been re reading this thread and there were at least 10+ people who were going to buy one of these. I bought one and then sold it to cookie simply because my hands were too big for the grip. Only 2 have appeared in the UBC comps, one was mine, now cookie's and the other belongs to Ric O'shay who wasn't mentioned in this thread.

Were people put off by the bad press showing this to be a re badged existing Turkish pistol

Was it the lack of availability before Christmas

Did you decide in hindsight that what you already owned wouldn't be bettered by this

Over to you guys & gals
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

I was intending to purchase one, although I don't think I posted to that effect on this thread, but I have not, yet.
    I have been side tracked by the purchase of a Colt 1911, resulting in the need to save up my pennies again (well £2 coins actually). I was well on my way when I got the urge to hunt out a FWB 65/80. This also worked out well with the purchase of a 65 so back to saving again. Then I got the chance of an SMK XS78, a long standing ambition, at a very good price.
    Ho hum, I may yet get an Alecto, it's still on my wish list......
    .....but currently in third place
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

There will be an Alecto in my collection, just don't know when.
    Did the Webley man get them both back? Only one seemed to keep getting stuck in TargetBunny's inside pocket all day
    Well said Garry, I was looking for a reason to hang on to the Compact.
    I'll guess the Alecto will have to be an additional gun then when I can save the necessary funds. May take a while as THIS arrived earlier this week courtesy of Eddiekneejerk. Cheers Ed

NB Ed's picture

Sorry mate, you did twice
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

Oops! I had a feeling while I was compiling that post that I should re-read this thread.

Still, making myself look a chump keeps you lot amused.
    Ah well, C'est la Vie.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Oops! I had a feeling while I was compiling that post that I should re-read this thread.
    Oh you so should have
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55