Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Views on the New Webley Alecto

Quote Originally Posted by airgun308 View Post
    the pistol is over priced you are much better off with weirrauch hw40
    Why???

I have both and would like to know your reasoning behind your statement.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    You could try importing a Zoraki HP-01 direct from Turkey maybe... They coct less over there anyway.
    The Zoraki HP-01 is listed as 9.6 joules or 7ft/lbs.

The Webley version must be have been modified in some way to lower power.

Thumbs up Alecto

I don't own 1, but have noticed various competitions not just ubc, where they are shooting the crap out of hw 40 pistols, and ssp's, i am happy with my current clutch of pistols, but the ALECTO will be my next purchase i'm sure!!
    ...mike...

Quote Originally Posted by sol1821 View Post
    my only criticism is the grip isnt big enough
    Agreed, I don't exactly have sausage fingers but the grip squashes my hand together a little.

Quote Originally Posted by mickson View Post
    I don't own 1, but have noticed various competitions not just ubc, where they are shooting the crap out of hw 40 pistols, and ssp's, i am happy with my current clutch of pistols, but the ALECTO will be my next purchase i'm sure!!
    ...mike...
    If you clamp an HW40, to eliminate the shooter's skill from the equation, you can practically get each shot through the same hole at 10m, so how much better than that can an Alecto perform?

I just ran a 10 shot string through my HW40 and the variation was 2fps overall!!!

The Turkish manufacturers of the Alecto are not really comparable to Weihrauch are they? Sure they may indeed turn out to be comparable, in a few more decades!

Until they do, there'll always be a justified question mark over their reliability, and future support, which considering they're pitting themselves against the likes of Weihrauch, you'd think a firm with any sense might try to market its reliability... Assuming it's even there to market?

You buy a Weihrauch today, and you have peace of mind that you'll always be able to get your hands on spares, and parts. Not to mention it's proven reliability.

imo, you can't really ignore good engineering and reliability when rating any kit, and Zoraki still have a lot to prove.
    Weihrauch HW40 (.177), Weihrauch HW45 (.22), Weihrauch HW45 Silver Star (.177)

Speaking as a long-term big Weihrauch fan (see sig!), I still think the Alecto is a better all-round pistol than the HW40. The HW40 has a better trigger and is cheaper, but the Alecto has the higher power option and (for me) a much better fitting grip. If you're interested in longer range shooting as I am, the power you get on two pumps - not really that much hassle to put in - is the killer app.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by shammo View Post
    If you clamp an HW40, to eliminate the shooter's skill from the equation, you can practically get each shot through the same hole at 10m, so how much better than that can an Alecto perform?
    The reason is the same one that dictates that no one uses 6ft/lb target rifles for FT/HFT - the longer the pellet stays in the air the more effect wind has.
    Plus faster pellet equals flatter trajectory, again better for variable distance targets - less hold over/under required.
    For indoor shooting with fixed size & distance targets the requirements change,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    The reason is the same one that dictates that no one uses 6ft/lb target rifles for FT/HFT - the longer the pellet stays in the air the more effect wind has.
    Plus faster pellet equals flatter trajectory, again better for variable distance targets - less hold over/under required.
    For indoor shooting with fixed size & distance targets the requirements change,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Hi Nick.

All very well in theory, but too many variables involved for anyone to assure better results based on that, imo.

Surely the most important single variable is shot-to-shot consistency; as this is the one metric that represents a culmination of every aspect of a gun's design, and it'd be interesting to see how consistently the Alecto performs over a shot string with one pump, 2 pumps, and 3 pumps.

My guess is that when you go for the second, or third pumps, consistency drops.

Besides, quality of design, and build quality are my first considerations, as performance in the short and long term follow on from this.

If the Alecto matched the HW40 for quality, then fine, all the extra points it scores on flexibility and power count for something, but in my book this is still very much in question.

atb,

shammo.
    Last edited by shammo; 17-06-2010 at 12:36 PM.

Incidentally, isn't the trigger chrome plated?

Also, the main compression chamber/valve assembly also looks chrome plated.

If they are then this just shows a design focus on style over substance.

Also, after recently getting into pistol shooting I've learned just how much more important trigger performance is, and a single stage trigger must have a big impact on accuracy.

I even read some people stating that it isn't a real mechanical breaking trigger as such; you apparently have to get used to the break point by memory!

Is this true?

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    My reply to the first of two reply posts is that you are arguing against all the most experinced outdoor shooters - Good Luck!

My reply to the second is that getting picky about surface finishes is just that and makes no point relevant to the argument so far and furthers no argument!

Adam is a better pistol shooter than I will ever claim to be, he has experience of Steyr and Rohm target equipment in addition to all others mentioned in this thread.
    There's your testing - I bow to his greater experience despite the fact that he seems to largely agree with me
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Hi shammo

Can I ask if you've actually shot an Alecto? Apologies if you have, but it comes across like you're dismissing it because of things you've read; basically, internet hearsay.

When I first read about the Alecto I was initially dubious, a plastic-bodied pistol made in Turkey but badged as a Webley. The previous Turkish-made Webley pistol, the Typhoon, was universally panned.

However all that changed when I had the chance to have a decent play with one at the October UBC meet. It felt great in the hand, and the fact that I won a snooker shoot-off with it (scoring a 147 break), having previously had only half a dozen shots with it, showed it was inherently very accurate and the accuracy was easy to access. The limitations of the trigger did not seem to impair accuracy or shootability.

A quick word about shot to shot consistency. Many people get too worked up about this IMHO, it's far from the be all and end all of things. It's also meaningless unless measured with weighed pellets.

At pistol ranges it will make very little difference at all. In fact some of the most accurate rifles on the FT circuit are the Steyrs and they tend not to perform as well as other makes over the chrono. 10fps variation is common but doesn't affect their accuracy at 55 yds.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

It's a two stage trigger on the Alecto, although the second stage is a little creepy. Once you're used to, it's not a problem!

I've never shot a HW40 so I can't compare, but Out of all my pistols, it's the most accurate and easiest pistol to use.

Adam is a better pistol shooter than I will ever claim to be, he has experience of Steyr and Rohm target equipment in addition to all others mentioned in this thread.
    There's your testing - I bow to his greater experience despite the fact that he seems to largely agree with me
    Regards,
    Nick
    Aw, shucks!

Quote Originally Posted by shammo View Post
    it'd be interesting to see how consistently the Alecto performs over a shot string with one pump, 2 pumps, and 3 pumps.

My guess is that when you go for the second, or third pumps, consistency drops.
    That can be arranged, when I next set up for a chrono session.

In theory all SSPs which dump all the air for each shot should be very consistent; I'd be surprised if there was much difference between any of them.

Bob. is offline I think I'll keep with "Registered User" then
    There are a few chrono string results in this posting.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/show...=434617&page=3

Bob.

My reply to the first of two reply posts is that you are arguing against all the most experinced outdoor shooters - Good Luck!

My reply to the second is that getting picky about surface finishes is just that and makes no point relevant to the argument so far and furthers no argument!

Regards,
    Nick
    So what if my point of view goes against yours, or any of the rest of the "experienced" outdoor shooters?! I'm not out to join a clan, just out to put forward my views on the Alecto.

The OP is "views" on the Alecto right, and I've expressed mine. My views are no less relevant than yours or anyone else's.

I personally value build quality and design over other aspects, and my reasoning as to why made perfectly clear.

As for you stating my reference to the surface finishes as not furthering the argument, I couldn't disagree more.

MY point to add about views on the Alecto is about build quality, and I consider chrome plating as cheap and tacky, and just one indicator of its lesser design, therefore totally relevant to the point I introduced.

As far as handling one is concerned, I haven't to the degree that some may have as far as shooting it is concerned, but I have to sufficient enough a degree to make initial conclusions about its build quality, which I point out again is the crux of my argument.

I also stand by the value of shot-to-shot consistency as a reliable measure of performance, and to those that don't... Fair enough!