Thread: Original mod 5 piston seal help

Original mod 5 piston seal help

I am refurbishing the above and discovered a wrong type of synthetic seal bolted onto the end of the piston. I have checked with chambers and the replacement seal is synthetic but I cant see how this fits onto the end of the piston. Has anyone replaced one of these and is the bolt and washer normally used to hold the synthetic seal on?
    thanks

hi, pulled one of these [circa 1979]apart last night ,seal is pushed over a boss on the end of the piston,there is no screw or provision for one ,i might be wrong but maybe yours has had the piston modified to accept a non standard seal.hope this helps..cheers ..greasemonkey

Hi thats very helpful and has solved the mystery there is a boss on the end of the piston so it looks like the bolt has been added. Thanks very much for your help

I suppose you have a rear sight spare kicking about as its missing them

sorry mate, cant help on that one ,cheers greasemonkey

John Knibbs will get you any part that you need for a Diana/Original air gun.Give them a call and speak to Mark Knibbs, he is always willing to assist.

Thanks for that contact them

Quote Originally Posted by steveyb View Post
    I am refurbishing the above and discovered a wrong type of synthetic seal bolted onto the end of the piston. I have checked with chambers and the replacement seal is synthetic but I cant see how this fits onto the end of the piston. Has anyone replaced one of these and is the bolt and washer normally used to hold the synthetic seal on?
    thanks

Hi, I've done two of these recently, they are fitted to a circular dovetail. I've used two ways of fitting a seal,

The first one I used the end of a twist-bit the same diameter as the circular dovetail. Square the end off and side the seal just onto it, this will flare the seal and when place end on to the circular dovetail will slide straight onto it.

Or warm the seal and use a v small amount of lube on the circular dovetail. Place the seal on a bench, lineup the piston and push down sharply, this is not the best way as you could damage the seal and at about £12 each from chambers you want to get it right first time.

Good luck, Phil

=
    Last edited by Phil G; 29-10-2009 at 09:38 PM.

Thanks for that. Do you by any chance know anyone with a rear sight for one of these. Chambers have them but they are £50.I was hoping to pick a second hand one up although I know its a long shot
    many thanks

thanks
    Hi, I am almost sure this has a leather piston head !!!!
    I did one about 30 years ago, Ha ha, I think this Mod 5 is 1950,s, Probably the sights are worth more than the gun , Anyone Know ?

Cheers ged.

Thats where I was getting confused the bolt and washer indicates a leather seal but chambers show it as a synthetic seal and the piston also has the boss on the end to take a synthetic seal

Thats where I was getting confused the bolt and washer indicates a leather seal but chambers show it as a synthetic seal and the piston also has the boss on the end to take a synthetic seal
    Take my word for it, ! The earlier guns were leather. As were ALL
    The early guns, Just because you haven,t seen one . Doesn,t mean they
    weren,t there !
    I for one learn 10, new airgun bits/tricks every day ! Cheers, Ged.
    Sights Mod 5 " Early " ( Same as Original 35 at the top )

The sights for the later Mod 5, were the same as Originals 27, & 35,
    I have some, but only on guns, Chambers, £ 50 + post ???? Cheers,

Hi Ged

Many thanks for your input, it is much appreciated.

I had thought that my pistol was quite an old one but I can't find a serial number or anything like that to date it. Can you tell how I may find out since you are evidently far more experienced with this model than I am?

I had assumed that the piston washer should be a synthetic moulding from the circular dovetail location stud on the end of the piston but since I don't know how a leather washer assembly would be fixed, can't be certain. See pic attached for the piston end.

Ignore the threaded hole in the centre which I an certain was added by a previous owner (but again may be wrong!).

Like you. I am learning all the time and really appreciate other owners sharing their knowledge, shows what a friednly bunch of guys we air-gunners are!

I have a seal on its way so will see if it fits OK and then at least I may be closer to the truth.

TopDog has kindly agreed to host the pics for me and we hope it works OK. If not I am sure that David (TopDog) will help by attaching them to the thread.

Again, many thanks for your input, it is really very much appreciated.

ATB
    Steve

==

I can't find a serial number or anything like that to date it

I have seen one with no numbers on, those I have seen with numbers have the date not a serial number ie 09/68. Most are found at the rear end of the cylinder at the side below the rear sight.

Good luck, Phil