Thread: Webley power

Webley power

I have a nice Webley Mk3 in .22, and having just stripped and relubed and checked on the chrono, I find it`s only doing a little over 5 ft lbs. All the internals look good with a square section main spring fitted. I have not used a large amount of grease and the spring feels reasonably strong when cocking. The tap also seems a good fit and holds the air for a short while. Any ideas , suggestions would be appreciated.

Mainspring probably too powerfull, mk 3s are strange beasts, power goes down if you use too strong a spring, get an original spec spring from Chambers.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dave blakemore View Post
    Mainspring probably too powerfull, mk 3s are strange beasts, power goes down if you use too strong a spring, get an original spec spring from Chambers.

Dave
    Hi Phil

Above sounds good advice. I bought a Mk3 rifle that was developing only 6 ft lbs but by shortening the spring power went up to almost 9 ft lbs
    I then changed the piston washer to a PTFE one and power increased to about 10 ft lbs

Power of a good .22 Mk3 when well run in is usually close to 10 ft lbs

Square section springs have a lot to answer for. They have ruined many a good old gun.

ATB
    John
    hold me back !!

Webley Mark 3

Leaving aside the question of the spring, if you have put in a new leather washer it will take several hundred shots to settle down. I have replaced the original leather washer with PTFE in three of my Mark 3's and power comes up almost instantly to around 9 ft/lbs.

Pellet choice is also important with an old .22 which is of course nearer to 5.6mm than the modern .22 which is nearer to 5.5mm. I have found that some modern .22 pellets virtually fall down the barrel of an old Meteor .22.

Mike95

Quote Originally Posted by dave blakemore View Post

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post
    Hi Phil

Above sounds good advice. I bought a Mk3 rifle that was developing only 6 ft lbs but by shortening the spring power went up to almost 9 ft lbs
    I then changed the piston washer to a PTFE one and power increased to about 10 ft lbs

Power of a good .22 Mk3 when well run in is usually close to 10 ft lbs

Square section springs have a lot to answer for. They have ruined many a good old gun.

ATB
    John
    ditto

Thanks for the replies. I still have the original leather washer on the piston.