Thread: service mk2 rear sight

service mk2 rear sight

hello,ive got a problem with the rear sight on a mk2 service rifle and am hoping for some advice. i want to use the peep hole sight so need to lower the rear sight blade but it is siezed.the knurled adjusting knob is wound all the way to the top and wont wind down.it does move a tiny bit and i dont want to force it but the fraction that it does turn is turning the threaded stud it screws onto with it.In other words(this is an easier way to explain) if it was a nut and a bolt they are siezed together,should the nut screw down the thread or stay on the top and the thread screw into the metal below?

On mine the nut definitely screws down the stud thread and the stud stays immovable.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thanks for that,its had two days in penetrating fluid so im ready now to launch my attack with mole grips and a chisel wish me luck

Try a bit of gentle heat also with perhaps a blow lamp, have used this method many times with penetrating fluid on siezed motorcycle fasteners with great success.

Sabre
    Last edited by sabre; 28-10-2009 at 06:11 AM.

cheers for all advice,managed to get it by splitting a large wrawl plug,fitting it over+gripping it with pliers,no marks at all

Quote Originally Posted by SLUGGY View Post
    cheers for all advice,managed to get it by splitting a large wrawl plug,fitting it over+gripping it with pliers,no marks at all
    Good idea that Sluggy, I'll have to remember it.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.