Thread: Cased BSA Air Rifle

Cased BSA Air Rifle

One to test Lakey or Slug Gun's grey matter or indeed anyone else with the right knowledge.

I recently bought a pine cased BSA and am happy the case is correct but am not sure the green baize lining is original - see photos. Clarity is poorer than I would like as had to use flash indoors rather than venturing outside in the poor weather. The lining is dark green in colour and not blue as the photos suggest.
    Has anyone got an original or pics of an authenticated original case they could post on here for comparison?

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/josie....eat=directlink

I'm aware the cases came in several grades and the 3rd or Best grade was identical to the second, other than it was lined in Green baize, according to the 1909 BSA book of the Air Rifle. My lining is frayed at the edges and while certainly old, I'm not sure if it is original as would have expected to see slightly better quality on an original. I believe no baize covering the top of the partitions is correct as if they were covered, the lid would not close properly.

Second question concerns the silver oil bottle that came with my case. It is marked as being of US origin and mentions both 05 and 07 (I assume 1905 / 1907!) patent dates. Strange thing is I've seen similar bottles with other cased BSAs - E.g. 1994 Airgunner Annual and while not of BSA origin, could BSA have been an agent for the US manufacturer at the time or is it pure coincidence?

Third question concerns availability of the Cased set. Does anyone know when these cases ceased to be offered as accessories? I haven't seen any reference to them post WW1 but does anyone know for sure?

Final question is about the key. Mine has a lock but no key - Does anyone have a key that may fit? It would be of similar size to the key that came with 1930s Webley Pistol cases but my Webley key doesn't turn the lock.

Kind Regards,
    John

Hi John,

Lovely set !
    I've got one but I think the case layout is different. Unfortunately I haven't got any pics of it and the case is packed away at the moment.

But heres some pics I saved of another lovely cased one off the web or maybe even the BBS. I thought it would be ok to post the pics. As you've probably seen theres one illustrated in Knibbs book too.

Also heres that Bsa oil tin, though its really for a rifle ! I've never come across one before.

What year does your rifle date from ? I wonder if the pattern of cases changed over the years, perhaps coming from different suppliers.

If you gop to an olde worlde locksmith, they generally have hundreds of old keys and might let you go through them until one fits.

[URL=""]

Last edited by silva; 01-11-2009 at 12:11 PM.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Thanks Silva, A lovely example and baize looks as old as the case. Spanner appears to be the early one with pellet seating probe. Never seen one before, so it was worth putting up this post on the strength of your reply alone - thank you.

I believe my case dates from before WW1. When I first saw it, there was a refinished 1930's Club in the box, which I had no interest in, so spent a couple of days negotiating rifle and accessories only at the recent Trafalgar Arms fair. I've got 2-3 BSAs which look great in there but cannot make up my mind which one to leave inside! I also own another "2nd" grade cased BSA without the baize lining and with the main partition removed. Interestingly, the case is approx 1 1/2" longer than the one I illustrated and contains a .22 Sporting Pattern dating from around 1912.

Never seen the oil tin you kindly illustrated but what a nice example.

Kind Regards,
    John

John,
    The case itself seems entirely original but the lining I think is almost certainly quite new.
    I say that purely on the basis that it just looks too damn clean to be 100 years old. It has been neatly cut into place, it is not dog eared, stained or moth eaten as 100 year old baize should be. Look at Silva's example to see what I mean. The only other two I know of are in a similar fraying condition, as you would expect.

I also have one of those little oil bottles. I think they were around in large numbers in the 20's/30's and just got bunged in the box. No provenance to BSA I don't think.
    I have never seen a BSA wood case advertised beyond 1919, though they may have been still available for sale after that date, as old stock.
    Like all cases for air rifles I doubt they sold in large numbers especially the more expensive version. The working class men shooting at bell targets in the local pub (1910 to 1920) probably struggled to fund the pellets let alone the rifle - a case would have been a dream.
    How many Webley Mk.2 Service cases does one see for example? Hardly any.
    Has anyone even seen a leather and canvas cased Mk.2 service - I know of no one that has, let alone owns one.

The Kleenwell oil can was sold in the 1930's and could be bought as part of a set which would also have included BSA Cunirid, BSA Polishing Paste and BSA Safety Paste. They were known as BSA Scientific Cleaners.
    The Kleenwell was "a thin alkaline oil for washing out the bore after shooting or after using BSA Cunirid." (See the 1932 Parker Hale catalogue Page 27.)
    It cost one shilling for a 4 oz bottle. Nothing to do with BSA air rifles therefore but nice to have and quite rare.

Silva - does your BSA Spanner have the Piled Arms stamped upon it. It is unusual in shape as it has a longer probe than on others I have seen?

Thanks Slug Gun,
    I agree with your comments and think the lining was probably replaced some time ago but unlikely to be 100 years old. Still, I'll leave it in place as have no wish to alter anything.

Regards,
    John

Got nothing to add to the highly detailed responses so far, only to add that they are all brilliant quality boxes!!

Now all that I have to do is find a genuine BSA Air Rifle box myself

Lakey