Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry Krank's BP

Henry Krank's BP

Now that Swiss powder has gone to £50 a kilo, I am looking for more affordable ways to keep shooting. I go through one 1kg of powder every few weeks and this day light robbery in price hike is really going to hurt.

Hunting for cheaper option I came across Henry Kranks’ own brand of BP. I would be grateful if anyone can shed some light as to their performance, preferably with comparison to the Swiss.

ATB,
    Krish

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Krank

Can't make a direct comparison with Swiss but I've used Krank's BP for some time and find it OK.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Lightbulb Bp

Another possibility is a very reasonable powder from Derbyshire Arms in Hatton. Gary sell a lot of BP and the last batch I got from him was £20 per kilo. I use it in my Brown bess and flintlock pistols and its fine.

One of the guy is using it instead of swiss in his .44 revolver and finds it very good and half the price.

just a thought

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by lilguy43uk View Post
    Can't make a direct comparison with Swiss but I've used Krank's BP for some time and find it OK.
    What grade of powder do you use and is it for rifle? I am only shooting BP cartridge rifles at the moment.

Nigel, sounds interesting. Do you have more info on this powder that you are using?

Thank you both.

Krish

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Both

Quote Originally Posted by Anand View Post
    What grade of powder do you use and is it for rifle? I am only shooting BP cartridge rifles at the moment.

Nigel, sounds interesting. Do you have more info on this powder that you are using?

Thank you both.

Krish
    Krish

I use FFFg for my pistols and FFg for shotgun cartridges.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

kranks

I used Kranks for several years (medium) in my 45-70 and found it ok. It fouls out pretty quickly though on warmish/hot days but I suppose with the right lube/blow tube technique you could control this.

If however, your shooting with accuracy in mind then in my hands (and a few others that shoot Kranks in the club) it never seemed to group well at distance, grain size was irregular and there was alot of dust particles in the powder. You may wish trying to sieve the powder to increase the consistency

Swiss always performed better, less fouling, less dust particles in the powder and better grain consistency.

The guy that imports Accurate powder into the UK also imports a Czech BP. This has got better burning characteristics than Kranks and not far of Swiss. Its certainly has got more wellie behind it when you light it up (measure for measure).

If its any consilation Im in the same boat now!
    Pete

a kg of powder every few weeks? I regularly shoot a .36 pistol, sometimes a .45 and I haven't used that in 6 months. My curiosity is piqued...what do you shoot, black powder gattling gun ?

Are you shooting at 100M or out to 600M? I have been using "Medium Powder" in my 2 band Enfield (my local suppler gets his powder from www.black-powder.co.uk ) which is adequate for use at 50M on my range; but in my experiance, using an 80gr load, the bullet will not reach 600m.
    I use "Fine Powder " in my pistol which is fine at 25M .I have compared my normal powder with Swiss no 2 ,with an equivalent load, there is no doubt that the Swiss is the more powerful powder.

Quote Originally Posted by fcat View Post
    a kg of powder every few weeks? I regularly shoot a .36 pistol, sometimes a .45 and I haven't used that in 6 months. My curiosity is piqued...what do you shoot, black powder gattling gun ?
    Last time we spoke - Krish was loading for a Sharps 45/70 .......

Cheers

Roy

Thank you all for your kind replies.

Pete, glad you are in the same boat My primary concern is accuracy. Swiss gives me that. I have heard about sieving powder; maybe will try it myself.

Fcat, wish it was Gatling gun but sadly not. Just a 45-70 Sharps; I shoot 2-3 times a month with around 30-40 shots a session. And my loads are topped to a full 70gr as well. You’ll find that 1kg just vanishes pretty quickly. The irritating part is I have a Shiloh 45-90 on the way and that's going to consume even more

Bryant, my usual shooting distance is from 300-1000yds as that’s what I enjoy most. From what you say, this powder probably won’t suit my purpose.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

ATB,
    Krish

I used to use kranks/Col Farquarson quality powder until I discovered TPPH and my shooting improved quite noticeably. Then when TPPH was hard to obtain, I switched to Swiss and don't think i could really contemplate going back to the cheap stuff.

Having said that, I am running short of powder and don't think there's any to be had in Kent AFAIK. Anyone know where I can get Swiss in the SE please?

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    Having said that, I am running short of powder and don't think there's any to be had in Kent AFAIK. Anyone know where I can get Swiss in the SE please?
    Steve.
    Steve,
    Pete Starley is your man for Swiss. His website is below with all the details.
    http://www.black-powder.co.uk/

He will send it by courier to you.

ATB,
    Krish

Krish,
    I think you would be very disapointed.The powder I use is also quite dirty,somthing to consider when shooting a Sharps.

I heard a rumour the Kranks sell what the Americans would call WANO, it's okay but I think I'll stick with my Swiss #4

Bp

Hi Krish sorry for delay in replying self induced computer problem I followed an MS windows prompt to remove a LSP did and hey presto removed the mailguard etc.

Re the black powder from Derbyshire arms, i dont know the make, its a medium powder without dust but does make your hands messy. Gary gets it in bulk and puts it into containers. Form more info give him a ring 01283 520937 or email grybate@aol.com

Nigel