Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope question...

Scope question...

I've been swapping scopes over on my rifles tonight. Put a recently acquired Deerfield 3-9x50 onto my 97K.

I've taken off the older Simmons 3-9x40 which I've screwed onto an even older ASI Rangermaster but I've noticed that the glass in the eyepiece is rattling a bit. I can move it with thumb. Now everything is still where it should be, focus is fine and before anyone asks…no I didn’t drop the scope.

What I need to know is can a scope be taken apart easily or not? The rattling will annoy be after a while and I’m certain it won’t do the scope much good if I leave it as it is.

Cheers!

Mike H Guest
    Try a LITTLE bit of Threadlock on it. Halfords
    Mike.

Hi Mike

Threadlock huh? Won't that bugger up the glass? I presume you tried it before on a scope? What's the chances the 97K has done this damage? It's a .177, pretty new to me and it does have a mean kick!
    Just wondering as I now have the Deerfield on it.

Mike H Guest
    Just carefully put a small smear around one part of the outside of the locking ring. Shouldn't need much at all. Not sure if the 97 caused it though.
    Mike.

Pavel mate - how's the new scope lookin?

In the past with scopes on springers I've had the same thing happen - usually a result of the recoil shaking the threads holding the glass in place loose a tad.

If it's in the eyepiece end, then the entire eyepiece needs to be unscrewed from the scope - first thoughts may be that it'd compromise the gas filling in the tube, however if the glass is already "loose" then any pressurised gas filling would be shot anyway.

Once the eyepiece is off you should see two slots on opposite sides of the threading - you can put a fine bar (metal ruler etc) across these and tighten the glass up again to remove the rattle. A dab of threadlock on these threads should prevent the issue from reoccurring.

If you're concerned about the fog-free filling having escaped then you can either approach a "scope repair" station to have it refilled, or some recommend holding the two parts in a cold freezer for a few moments before reassembling in situ - the theory being that the cold air has a lower inherent moisture content than air at room temp

For cheaper scopes I'd say it's not worth too much hassle on that part, although the freezer trick costs nothin

HTH,

Dan

Mike H Guest
    Oh and ... it worked on rattly old single cylinder bikes for me As long as you put it on the outside of the ring then none should get near the glass.

Mike.

Hi Dan

The new scope is fine thanks. Just need to zero it in on the 97k now.
    As for the loose glass on the other scope, yes it's on the eyepiece end. I have already unscrewed it so far but didn't want to force it off just yet, to be honest I was unsure wether it was even meant to come off. Your probably correct on the gas issue, the glass is too loose for it to be still floating around inside. I'll give Mike and your suggestions a go.

Cheers lads!

On many scopes, the eyebell doesn't completely unscrew off the scope because of an internal retaining clip. However, for what you want to do, you might not need to remove it - the lenses are usually held in an alloy tube which is screwed into the end of the eyebell, so grab the eyebell in one hand and with the other, attempt to unscrew the very tip of the rubber eyepiece. If its the same design as the one I played with, the alloy lens tube should unscrew out. On the inside of this there should be a locking ring for the eyepiece lenses, unscrew this carefully, put a tiny amount of threadlock on its threads on the outside of this ring and refit with care. Reassemble the eyebell and hopefully job done - don't blame me if it all goes banana shaped!

As for the dry air in your scope, don't worry about it too much - just avoid breathing into the scope. Maybe cover it up with clingfilm or something while you do the threadlocking nonsense.

Fiddler Guest
    Similar thing happened to me on a whitetail classic i simply unscrewed the eyepiece removed the tube and nipped up the retaining ring, job done

Numb, Fiddler,
    Yup, that's exactly what I did in the end. Going to buy some threadlock today.

Again thanks!

John Henry 1 Guest
    Good old Nikko eh. Bet the lenses aint falling out of that one.

Cheers:

Hi John

Yeah, the Nikko is perfect mate.

Unhappy OPPS!

Anyone got a phone number for Simmons??

Cross-hairs no longer cross.

Fiddler Guest
    Here you go m8y

Simmons (Europe) Ltd
    Universe House
    Key Ind Park
    Planetary Road