Thread: nostalgia trip

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

nostalgia trip

a few memorable page titles from my newly acquired 1979 airgun world.
    TUNING TROUBLES,some unexpected difficulties with a weihrauch hw35e.
    THE RELUM TORNADO,scarcely a day goes by in any gunshop when a customer does not request spares or info on the relum tornado.
    THE NEW BREED OF JACKAL .22HI-POWER,unique sighting system,610fps,customised silicone chrome mainspring,all british design and mnfctr,16mm 6groove hard steel barrel,[as powerful an airgun as you can legally buy]
    THIS IS THE VIXEN,based on the weihrauch hw35,guide tube low friction plated,new nickel alloy hi tensile main spring, transferport diameter and shape modified according to cal,chamber crosshatch honed and polished to very fine tols and molbd coated,[breech block engraved vixen].
    THE LION RIFLE,should appeal to plinkers and hunters unable to afford exotic rifles.[ i couldnt afford even a lion ]
    THE WHALEY CROSMAN 716XL SUPER,we are sure you will agree this gun will outperform any other sporting airweapon!!!!.
    and to finish customise your airgun with les herridge.i want the next edition ,im entering the fwb sport comp with a runner up prize of an emge pistol,and how about "you dont buy an original 35s just for its muzzle velocity!!!.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by red bob View Post
    a few memorable page titles from my newly acquired 1979 airgun world.
    TUNING TROUBLES,some unexpected difficulties with a weihrauch hw35e.

AS FAR AS I REMEMBER a man with no mechanical sympathy grinds a cylinder into a very wobbly shape and then corrects it with a hone

THE RELUM TORNADO,scarcely a day goes by in any gunshop when a customer does not request spares or info on the relum tornado.

Because they are a nightmare.

THE NEW BREED OF JACKAL .22HI-POWER,unique sighting system,610fps,customised silicone chrome mainspring,all british design and mnfctr,16mm 6groove hard steel barrel,[as powerful an airgun as you can legally buy]

Design stolen from the Swiss, with a German barrel and 'this was fitted to the SMLE Mk IV in 1936 sighting system'

THIS IS THE VIXEN,based on the weihrauch hw35,guide tube low friction plated,new nickel alloy hi tensile main spring, transferport diameter and shape modified according to cal,chamber crosshatch honed and polished to very fine tols and molbd coated,[breech block engraved vixen].

Can't deny it, splendid tool, but is it really worth the extra money? A Bonnie & Clyde kit costs less and does better

THE LION RIFLE,should appeal to plinkers and hunters unable to afford exotic rifles.[ i couldnt afford even a lion ]

Forerunner of the DB4 etc, I was intrigued by the sliding compression-chamber fixed-barrel design (years ahead of the HW77), but was advised by Manchester Air Guns 'you really don't want to buy it, they are very poor quality' - and yes they had them in stock! Open sights only so nothing live should be shot beyond 20 yards.

THE WHALEY CROSMAN 716XL SUPER,we are sure you will agree this gun will outperform any other sporting airweapon!!!!.

850 fps, three shot capacity, recoilless, oak furniture... sounded like a superb gun but in the 'flesh' they looked so trashy, the has-been glamour model reduced to a trailer-park flesh-circus ... an expensive disappointment for everyone concerned. No-one would ever quote group sizes and the Sharp Innova detonated them a year later...

and to finish customise your airgun with les herridge.

I think he did have some sound ideas, although some of them were cheap and chavvy.

i want the next edition ,im entering the fwb sport comp with a runner up prize of an emge pistol,and how about "you dont buy an original 35s just for its muzzle velocity!!!.
    The Original Diana 35 never made uch in the way of power whatever gedfin2 says. But its a nice rifle as long as the game are not too far away.....

o yes back to reality thanks ,but its to late any gun with two mainsprings and a t#### like a brass bow string must be packing a punch! hasnt it?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by red bob View Post
    o yes back to reality thanks ,but its to late any gun with two mainsprings and a t#### like a brass bow string must be packing a punch! hasnt it?
    Hmm. Best thing is to fit the Tornado with a BSA Meteor spring and a spring-guide (even a floating piece of tube). Then you might stand a chance...

When IS someone going to run a Relum Tornado HFT comp? It's about time we had a single-brand comp. Like the MZ series for motorbikes in the 80s ...

ive only just stopped laughing at the concise and very accurate takedown of my trip which is rapidly turning into a nightmare;BUT i repost you with an article from said issue and i quote "almost a 1000 readers entered our comp to win the exciting whaley/crosman 716xl super this powerful pump up rifle is extremely popular so its easy to see why so many readers have entered the competition"
    a thousand readers cant be wrong .bob
    1979 prices .
    hw35 delux£75
    anschutz335s £57
    airsporter £49
    buccaner£30
    fwbmod 80 £220 [blimey 5 airsporters worth]
    original condor £57
    bsf b55 lux ££88 [untuned]
    Last edited by red bob; 02-11-2009 at 10:50 PM.