Thread: Remingtom 1858 NMA

Remingtom 1858 NMA

Hi Guys and Girls,
    I am having a problem with my revolver and was wondering if anybody had the same experience and if they had found a cure.
    After firing only 6 shots I have to remove the cylinder and clean the cylinder pin.
    If I don't clean it every 6 shots it becomes very difficult pull the pin out.
    The pin is caked in black residue and is quite hard to remove.
    I am using 777 not black powder.
    Having spoken to other NMA users in my club they don't seem to have the same problem.
    The clearance betwwen the front of the cylinder and the barrel seems to be OK.
    Any suggestions as to what is causing this and any possible solutions would be most welcome.
    Cheers
    Mike

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

A lot of reasons

Has the pin or cylinder got excessive wear on them, allowing crud to blow into the gap?

I found that this problem can be minimised by greasing the pin well after cleaning the revolver.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Are you using grease on top of the ball?

Nma

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for swift responce.
    I have measured the bore of the cylinder at .279 and the pin at .274 so there would be 5 thou clearance which sounds about right.
    Yes I do use grease over the ball and I run the pin dry.
    I have not tried to grease the pin, will this help to to stop the ingress of crude?
    Cheers
    Mike
    Last edited by mjr693; 04-11-2009 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Change of dimensions

I had this problem. The Remingtons are known to do this. Its when they get hot too. They expand and just gum up. What lube are you using? I use a synthetic oil that doesnt burn. It got a teflon property in it and it works a treat!

Jim

I gave up on over ball grease with my Rem (Pietta). Just made a filthy mess! As far as 'chain fires' go, no way is a spark going to get past my tight fitting (.454) ball, wad and filler.

I use liquid Alox on the cylinder spindle - there's a flat on the underside (of the spindle), just a light smear along the flat when I put the gun away after cleaning following a shoot.

At the range I always put the gun on to half cock as soon as cyl empty and then spin the cyl while the guns still warm. Then cyl out, a squirt of WD into the spindle bore and onto the spindle (with the barrel pointed down and the spindle 'withdrawn' there's a 'well' you can fill with wd.) then a quick run through cyl bore with an old air pistol cleaning brush. Re-install cyl, reload & carry on shooting.

Sure it stiffens up with each reload but stays 'manageable'.

Might sound complictaed but only takes a few seconds with practce.

Nma

Hi John,
    Many thanks for detailed advice, I will give it a go and hopefully it will improve.
    Cheers
    Mike