Thread: Galway Fieldmaster

Galway Fieldmaster

Can anyone tell me where to find a serial number on this gun?
    iv just aquired it tonight , i know very little about it other than they are quite rare
    Could someone give me a rough valuation? its .22, bluing is about 75% good, woodwork about the same.if i can work out how to post pics i will as i realise its hard to value without seeing it
    Thanks
    ed

The serial number on the one I had briefly was on the back of the action IIRC correctly, it was number 6 I think.

Despite being described as good number 6 was actually a dog and potentially dangerous to use. That particular rifle was the only time I have had a bad experience trading on here and I am £250 out of pocket as a result!

Despite their rarity I am not sure how valuable they would be, but I would guess £250-£300 for one in good condition and safe working order.

So far iv discovered that my serial number is 21, but out of how many made iv no idea
    i took the stock off this morning, found 2 loose screws holding the trigger on but apart from that all seems in order
    any more info on these guns would be greatly appreciated
    Ed

Galway Fieldmaster

Just bought one and I am a little worried as the serial number is 6 which it would seem has some history but I have just spent £140 on fixing the trigger mechanism as the rear screw had duff threads and the barrel was misaligned so it was leaking air everywhere. But managed to sort all the problems out took me about 4 hours and its fine now. As for additional info I am led to believe that the gun has interchangeable barrels if you can find the .177 and .25 versions. The power can be turned up by twisting the barrel but I wouldn't recommend it as you are asking for some serious trouble. Parts are hard to come by and you will have to find a really good gunsmith. But all in all i am very satisfied with mine now it has been fixed and it is a good addition t my collection. I will be restoring the stock as is has a few dents and scars but nothing too bad it can't be repaired with some TLC. Hope this helps

Does yours have a twangy hammer spring?
    iv got mine all sorted now but the noise from the spring is bugging me

Quote Originally Posted by steviepfb View Post
    Just bought one and I am a little worried as the serial number is 6 which it would seem has some history
    Out of curiosity where did you get it from? Not somewhere in Cheltenham per chance?

galway fieldmaster

No bought it locally and had a few problems to sort out but thankfully they have all been ironed out but as for the service by Daystate i am a bit sceptical if they even looked at it before they charged £140. Now it's lovely and yes there is a slight twang on the spring but not that loud. I have just fineshed stripping down the stock and restaining it so it looks like new. Really pleased with it and impressed with the accuracy hitting targets at 40yds no problem. But need to find some literature on them now Daystate didn't have anything so its down to other owners. Does anyone know if there is an owners club??

Smile Galway Fieldmaster

Forgot to say that according to Tony Daystate who was really helpful they were only manufactured for five years from 1983 to 1988 not sure how many were produced but they were modelled on the Daystate Huntsman Classic. Hope this helps