Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When you were young--which gun

1970's??
    Remember my nans freemans catolougue

http://www.thecatalogshop.co.uk/free...ogue-1970s.php

Webbley Vulcan or BSA Airsporters, THE guns (rifles) for playgorund cred plus the Webley prem and tempest pistols???

I had a US Bluestreak, swopped for a BSA Scorpion from a US Airforce kid whos dad was due to be posted back to the U.S.

Remember it was unique as it would shoot through the garden gate rather than bury its pellet in the garden gate!!

Where is it now????
    So many years so many trades

I was lucky enough to have a Webley Osprey as My first rifle.

I also had a Webley Falcon, which was mega accurate, if underpowered.
    But in the days before chrono`s, that didn`t worry me, as I shot thousands of head of vermin with that gun (TRUE). I am sorry to say I swapped it for a Honda C70 step thru to use up the woods in the end. I desperately wish I still had it!!!

But the gun I always wanted was a Vulcan, and I was lucky enough to buy one just before webley stopped making them. I sent it to Venom to be tuned, and very nice it is too!!! I still have it!!

Zatnikatel is offline He's coming in. I feel safer already
    Quote Originally Posted by The armourer View Post
    I had bad taste, ie, worse than now, I always lusted after my next door neighbours ASI Sniper!!!!!!
    My first proper (if you could call it that) rifle

The first gun I really wanted when I started shooting was a Webley Tempest, I eventually got one but it took me some years to do. I still have it although it doesn't get much use these days.

atb, Glyn

First airgun i could afford was a BSA mercury back in 78 (still got it) but I lusted after a HW35E and saved like mad until I could afford one.
    I only kept it about a month because it was the biggest pile of poo going, traded it for a BSF55 which kept me hapy until I got an Innova, never went back to a springer after that.

I've said it before but I had my actual first gun behind my parents back and got found out! It was a BSA Meteor

I then saved and got a Relum Super Tornado (hmm emphasis on the "super" did it for me)

Then when I started work and a mate said he was packing up shooting I managed to convince him to sell me his year or so old Webley Vulcan Mk1. As "powerful as the law allows" How many of us can cast our minds back and reading (and re-reading) those adverts and clinging to every advertising blurb and item of specification

Like so many back then I did aspire to the HW80 and FWBs of the time. I did get my hands on a new 80 fairly quickly (and this is still my main rifle so many years on), but the FWB eluded me until not that long ago.

I guess the Original/Diana range of rifles also caught my eye, but again it was to be many years before I got my hands on any.

Back in the day (and to a certain degree now) it was all things Germanic. I do however still have a very soft spot for the Vulcan above (I still have it). It was the menace of many a crow and rook around these parts!

Dave

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    I know what you mean Ed----but this was more about what you would have got to shoot with. .
    O.K.......my first, new in the box, air rifle...was a daisy 1894 winchester BB gun ( Christmas present)........I tore away the wrapping as I knew it was a gun....but I really wanted a "proper" air rifle.I was mad on westerns, so my parents thought It would be perfect!

BUT......

My first, bought with my own money....paper round and "borrowed" pop bottles from building sites on evening "missions" (remember getting the money back!)......was THE gun that an older friend let me have a go on, and I wanted one as soon as I held it.......a NIB BSA mercury in .177...complete with fall off every 1/2 tin of pellets, BSA 4x20 scope........and the sad thing is......for the life of me I don't remember what happened to it

My first rifle was a BSA Meteor that my dad bought home from the scrap yard where he was a lorry driver. He cut the main spring down to reduce the power and it was great fun in the garden.

Then I part exchanged that with a bit of cash for a BSA Airsporter and that got me hooked and I went and bought a brand new BSA Airsporter S in 1980 and it cost me 3 weeks wages as I was just 17 then.

I kept that for 20 years and it was pristine when i sold it with a nice tasco scope for £100, oh how I wish I had kept it!!

I tried Nick Jenkinson's Venom HW77 at a FT club in Devon in the mid eighties when I was about 13. That's what I always wanted, the stock was great, and it was really smooth to shoot . I got a job mowing lawns for £5 a week but never managed to save enough to get one P.S. Is Nick on the BBS?

My first gun was a Sharp Innova, my Grandfather gave it to me for christmas when I was about 8 or 9 I think. Great gun, really regret selling it, and I sold it about 20 yrs ago - still gutted!

my first real airgun sharp innova took me 6 long mouths too save for one and that was a second hand one but a always wanted one of them called a double express i remember reading about thing in a airgun mag but can't remember if they took of never seen or herd of one for sale

Quote Originally Posted by humperdingle View Post
    I always wanted an ASI Magnum... Dunno why, it just sounded cool

Until I got my 2nd hand HW80 when I was around 14.
    asi mags were pants,i had 1 and a .177 webley victor,much better gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxterbasics View Post
    Simple-HW77-THE best airgun ever made I used to drool over them in Henry Monks gunshop in Chester. I finally got my own when I started working at 16 I have owned quite a few different 77's since then, including Venom Tuned and a very special Airmasters version.
    Damn-I miss that gun.
    sold the asi magnum and webley to get a .22 hw77....very good gun in comparison to anything else that was available in the early-mid 80's.

Wow, this is all bringing back memories!

My first was a SP-50 at 12 or so. Oh, soooo much more upmarket than a Gat. Then moved on to a Crossman medallist 1322, followed by Super Meteor .177. That meteor was one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned. (OK, more likely, given the amount of shooting I did back then, it was the rifle I had most practice with). Got a HW35 at 17 with my first pay packet and haven't looked back.

Grayling is offline Lego Leggaed letch and Lohan Lover with added Moist
    An Englishman & Scouser born & bred AND PROUD!
    I wanted an Air Arms Firepower or Combat with the autoload system, but settled for the Hi power with out autoload because it was a few pounds cheaper, big mistake ! That same autoload system is now as rare as hens teeth.

I also wish I'd bought a few tins of Champion Ballistic pellets, Nato bullets, sussex sabo's because they are all like rocking horse poo or go for extortionate amounts on fleabay.
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.
    Co-founder of Treats 4 British Troops

imorik is offline I stick my head out and take it on the chin.
    Was only one gun of desire for me when I was a young lad - BSA Airsporter. Never did get to own one . Made my first rifle, an ASI Rangemaster, look and feel like the poor relation .
    AA TX200 MK2 .177, MK3 Barrel, long stroked & shortened T/P
    AA TX200 MK3 HC .177, 22mm internals, shortened T/P
    http://www.anstonftc.co.uk/

Gun i had first was a mk 3 Webley Vulcan, Had more fun, and shot more vermin and pellets with that gun than all others combined. I pested my ma for 6 months before i got that gun for Christmas 1990. My best mate at the time had one and i HAD to have one.

Dave