Thread: police visit

visceral Guest

police visit

in June the company I work for sent 7 of us on a course with network pest control (with Mr Doe) on the safe and effective use of air weapons.

they then purchased a HW80, and set us loose on the invading feral pigeon population, to date we have evicted 275.

We inform the local constabulary of every shoot, record the log number in our safety file, chrono the rifle (bit difficult at night) then go blast some pigeons.

Anyway, today after informing the Police of our planned shoot, a patrol car turns up at our factory gate - apparently our "high number of calls" to the police informing them of our shoots, has raised some interest - The guys were fine, just interested in what we were doing.

I found this really quite funny, and indicative of the times we live in, as when I possessed an FAC and owned 9mm .357 .44 and .22 lr pistols - I only ever saw the police ONCE! when I originally applied!!

John Henry 1 Guest
    I think generally that this is indicative of the police, contrary to some beliefs. There are a few over enthusiasic and inexperienced officers in the new ranks but as I have said before where would we be without them, we have the best police force in the world, not perfect but the best.
    Cheers

Due to an "incident" that was pure BS I had a visit from the uniformed police, I am used to visits from FLOs as I am a RFD, however once the uniformed blokes realised it was a malicious phone call we got to talking and they said there were a few cops that were keen on airguns and two that regularly go beating (steady Sid ) for a local syndicate, being a fine chap I gave them a copy of Airgun buyer, and a few weeks later found they had bought themselves airguns and had joined a club

So at least some of the boys in blue understand why we like guns

Baz

Wish my employers were this understanding. I had 'unofficial' permission to have a go at the rabbits and pigeons on site but the manager who gave said permission has now retired. Try ansking any of the p.c., namby, limp-wristed idiots we've got now and gthe recoil in horror. Seriously. I work on a site containing some large-ish buildings which are starting to get infested with ferals, yet mention humanely dispatching them with an air rifle and get branded a 'psycho gun nut' by one and a slightly worrying Rambo wannabe by virtually all of the rest. I have tried explaining how pigeon droppings carry all sorts of horrid diseases but they just start on about netting up holes where they get in and getting bird scarers and pressure washing the affected areas. Then when they find out the cost of said operations they scream blue murder. One even said they would get in a professional company to deal with the problem if they needed to but when I tried to recommend Total Pest Control he changed the subject?!
    Only one other will come out shooting with me but I am going to knock it on the head as, with ever more restrictive policing being the norm I will now not shoot without a signed permission letter.
    "Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering KABOOM!"

visceral Guest
    with the factory i work at producing food, there is alot of pressure to keep the birds under control.

our shooting team is one of many control measures we have in place (it's also the cheapest and most effective!)

Originally posted by Browser
    Only one other will come out shooting with me but I am going to knock it on the head as, with ever more restrictive policing being the norm I will now not shoot without a signed permission letter.
    I will never go shooting without not only having permision, but having it in writing & with me! Since shooting FAC, I have given my FLO a file with copies of te permision, a OS map blown up & copied for the shoot & a satalite shot from multi-map. This way there is a record & the land gets FLO blessing very quickly.

One of my club mates was shooting with a friend, perfectly leagally I may add, in a closed industrial estate. Letters of permission on the windscreen of the car, and in pockets, they went out.
    After around 30-45 mins his missus called "erm... I've got the police here, someone has reported you for shooting illeagally and carrying a gun out in public"
    anyway the police were put on the phone "can you tell us exactly where you?" He told them "Ok stay where you are someone will be down in a minute".
    After half an hour of waiting they said sod this and went back to the car (all of a few hundered yards). When at the car they heard sirens in the distance. After a couple of mins more another call "hello this is PC soinso form the Armed Responce Unit can you tell us EXACTLY where you are" So he tells them, turns out the police were a few miles up the road in totally the wrong place. A few minutes later the sirens are a lot louder and the cars come into veiw swerve to a stop and everyone jumps out fully togged up expecting a stand off.
    After guns were put on the ground and the officers were happy they weren't phycopathic snipers hell bent on destroying the local populus, they came across and chatted made sure everything was in order and then buggerd off leaving the two guys to get on with it. It turned out it was a malicious call from a local. I don't know if the police followed it up.
    kinda makes you think though you couldn't imagine the police making a call to an armed robber "erm.... you couldn't tell us exactly where you are coud you .... its just, we can't find you"

Garrick

I've just started phoning the Police about my going onto land to 'pest control'. One piece of land I have written permission, the other, 'word of mouth' (at the moment).

It seems prudent to inform the local 'Nick' of your intentions. (If there are adjacent houses, I introduce myself and my car also). The Police seem pretty clued up on this, and are very very helpful. My first 'arranged' visit surprised me when I rang to confirm my impending shoot. On offering my contact mobile telephone number, they were able to give me my name and address? Could be that I'd rung them once before, but I was surprised. Now I just give my phone number and confirm the car registration number being used. Last night, someone even rang me back to make sure I had been given the "incident" number to quote if a patrol/ARU should arrive.

And since I'm expecting to go on an organised deer cull with at least one Policeman next week (soon to be my new 'best mate' ), I'd say some officers in the local area are quite 'pro' in the right circumstances.

Last edited by Baldie; 24-09-2004 at 01:08 AM.
    To be good, one must do good.