Thread: Found a nice rifle, at last.

Found a nice rifle, at last.

Been looking for a good, Birmingham made, Parker Hale 'Volunteer' 3 band rifle for ages. Finally picked one up at the weekend. Haven't fired it yet - work intruded, as ever. Roll on next weekend!

A few pics:- http://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu105/JohnB357/

Only a cheap camera, so pic quality not brilliant.

Hi John,
    Can I ask where you got it from? I am looking for a BP rifle.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Effigy View Post
    Hi John,
    Can I ask where you got it from? I am looking for a BP rifle.
    Hi Frank.

Got it from Fenland Rural Sports, Warboys, Nr. Huntingdon. First time I've been there and very impressed - well stocked, well laid out shop and very helpful staff. Several M/L rifles in stock.

If you go on to the Guntrader web site and do a dealer search you can see their (Fenlands) stock list.

Best of luck!

Nice one John.

Best be carefull the wind dont change or you will be stuck with that big grin forever.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Quote Originally Posted by smokeless coal View Post
    nice one john.

Best be carefull the wind dont change or you will be stuck with that big grin forever.
    :d:d:d:d

Firdt session with the rifle today - basically to make sure it went bang when told to. It does.

Only powder I had to hand was Triple 7 FFFG (that I use in my revolver) and for 'ammuinition' used patched round ball - not ideal as the rifle is made for 'bullets'. I was shooting at 50m

Tried (by weight) 30g, 35g & 40g of powder. 35 seemed to shoot the sweetest. Initially gun shot about 18" to the right and over a foot high. Sights are adjustable for windage but elevation already on lowest setting so looks like I'm going to have to aim low.

Tried 1 shot with 55g 'proper' black and a 480g cast bullet supplied by another member - again, way high at 50m

So, more 'development' work to do yet. Now I can get the shots onto the target next I'll try for a group - ran out of time today.

Waiting on the paperwork for 'proper' BP and a supply of heavy bullets. Patched round ball and 777 meantime.

bent barrels will do that John.

joking

interested to see how it performs at 100 or more.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Hello John, I have the two banded parker Hale in .577, beautiful rifles, and a lot of fun to shoot. obviously no jokes on this section. Sorry

Regards Ray
    Last edited by rtillyer; 15-11-2009 at 09:07 PM.