Thread: Crosman 766 working now

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Crosman 766 working now

Ive got the 766 working now (thanks to some help) and had a go at plinking with it. The Scalemead sight I tried was turning in the clamps so I tried another scope (it came without sights) that fitted, a 4x20 with no name. It was very accurate on 5 pumps but I didnt like the feel of it OR the pumping (the old tennis elbow). After that I tried the Diana 27 I got a couple of weeks ago and a Diana 22. Ive got to say that I find them much more fun. I find the Crosman to be a bit souless as I do modern guns had apart (ie mk6 meteor and a couple of Gamo,s). What do you lot reckon?
    Next thread Baikal IZH 53M pistol!

I have a 766 that is about 25 years old (ex JSR I think for about £20), complete with original silencer I found at 'The Midland' all those years ago. I have it fitted with a 4 x 32 scope. It is not the most accurate rifle around beyond about 10 yards and I admit that a long plinking session pumping is a bit of a strain.
    But ... it has been my short range (upto 10 yards) ratting rifle in the past and has disposed of the few rats we had mooching about when we first moved to this house ... a neighbour had an old chicken shed which has now gone and, seemingly, took the rats with it.
    I keep it with some affection.

Cheers, Phil

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    I have a 766 that is about 25 years old (ex JSR I think for about £20), complete with original silencer I found at 'The Midland' all those years ago. I have it fitted with a 4 x 32 scope. It is not the most accurate rifle around beyond about 10 yards and I admit that a long plinking session pumping is a bit of a strain.
    But ... it has been my short range (upto 10 yards) ratting rifle in the past and has disposed of the few rats we had mooching about when we first moved to this house ... a neighbour had an old chicken shed which has now gone and, seemingly, took the rats with it.
    I keep it with some affection.

Cheers, Phil
    At school a mate of mine got shot with one and "it went raight through (his) welly at 200 yards"
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    At school a mate of mine got shot with one and "it went raight through (his) welly at 200 yards"
    Crikey ... Even fired at 45 degrees to the horizontal I did not think the 766 would fire that far. But I only used pellets, not BBs. ....

Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    Yes ... no doubt true as with my 766 I used to regularly light matches stuck in the ground at 100 yards. And that was after the pellet had cut a cotton thread suspended at the 50 yard marker. All with open sights.
    Dream on....
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    Ive got the 766 working now (thanks to some help) and had a go at plinking with it. The Scalemead sight I tried was turning in the clamps so I tried another scope (it came without sights) that fitted, a 4x20 with no name. It was very accurate on 5 pumps but I didnt like the feel of it OR the pumping (the old tennis elbow). After that I tried the Diana 27 I got a couple of weeks ago and a Diana 22. Ive got to say that I find them much more fun. I find the Crosman to be a bit souless as I do modern guns had apart (ie mk6 meteor and a couple of Gamo,s). What do you lot reckon?
    Sounds like a very different beast to the 766 I had many moons ago.
    The one I bought new had a very flimsy barrel shrouded in black plastic, when I tried a scope on it I could see the barrel bend through the scope dependant on my forearm grip.
    Not a hope in hell of any accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    Hi Guy

I'm glad the new exhaust valve is doing its job.

I could never understand why Crosman made low powered multi pumps, they're not much good for hunting and as you've found out they're too much like hard work for plinking.

Perhaps there was a need for a low powered gun somewhere in the world ?

All the best Mick