Thread: New Member & some questions

New Member & some questions

Hi,
    I am new to this forum and this is my first post although I have been following the forum for a month or so.
    I currently shoot both shotgun and rimfire, clays and game for the shotgun and vermin etc. for the rimfire.

I am in the process of joining a gun club and am pretty sure that my main interest will be BP (or the common substitutes if the wife’s not happy with having explosives in the house!!)

A couple of questions which I would appreciate peoples views on.
    Firstly BP revolvers, whilst the Colt looks better than the Remington I don’t like the open frame in terms of strength or the lack of a rear sight. As a first revolver what would people recommend would it be the Remington 1858 New Model Army or should I consider the Ruger Old Army? What are the pro’s and con’s between the two?

Also when I put in for my variation I would also like to add a BP rifle. Here I am even less clear what to consider. I think I want a rifle rather than a musket, distances 100 to 200yds with the capability for say 500 yds.
    Any suggestions would be welcome so that I can research in greater depth.

Best Regards
    Lansdown

Hi Lansdown.

The Colt replicas are fine pistols but I'm not keen on the 'wedge' idea for barrel locking. There is a rear sight, albeit crude - a notch in the hammer. Main problem we see at my club with the Colts is jamming as a result of cap fragmenst finding their way into the 'works'.

More popular, by a long way, are the Remmington repros (.44 cal). Rear sight still crude (as in 'spirit of the original'), just a groove in the top strap.

Try a few guns and see which one feels best for you. I love the Ruger Old Army but have small hands so doesn't suit me. My Remmy 'Texas' (.44) is fine though and despite having fired many thousands of rounds still shoots better than I can!

If you plan to enter the more 'formal' comps be aware that 'modern' enhancements (like adjustable sights) will take you out of the mainstream - 'Spirit of the Original' pretty much rules.

As for a rifle, for 25 or 50m shooting for fun a smooth bore (musket, held on SGC) would be fine. At longer ranges though you really need to look at a 'proper' (FAC) rifle.

As for a rifle, for 25 or 50m shooting for fun a smooth bore (musket, held on SGC) would be fine. At longer ranges though you really need to look at a 'proper' (FAC) rifle.

Which club are you joining? At my club (Worcester Norton) there's an 'informal' club comp for muzzle loaders on the second Sunday of every month - rifles first, then revolvers, all shot at 25m. A good opportunity to see what people use and pick up plenty of free advice if you visit.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by John Bedford; 10-11-2009 at 11:22 PM.

As above really. Deffinetly try different models before buying. The Ruger is probably one of the best b/p pistols to shoot for everything bar spirit of the original comps but they dont suit everyone. I had a std length one which i found too big for my gammy wrist but now have the 51/2" one in stainless without the target sights and its exellent. I also have a Rogers and Spencer in London grey with std sights if i ever fancy a go at spirit of the original. Be warned though. Its quite addictive and Once you get into it you will find your collection growing so dont worry too much about comps straight away.
    £200 will get you a nice s/h Remington or a Rogers and Spencer so its not that expencive to own more than 1 revolver.
    As for rifles the .577 muzzle loaders such as the 2 band navy are great fun to shoot and not dear to buy. Personally id rather have the rifle than the smooth bore but it comes down to pensonal choise. As with pistols, join a club and try before you buy. Youl find that most shooters of the black stuff are keen to pass on their experience and their veiws on whats worth having.
    Keep us upto date with how you get on, Tim

Haddington...via Mackemland, born in Yorkshire
    +1 to whats been said

BEST way = go to a local club where folk USE BP, then try some of what they have & see what suits you

I went the route of the 1858 over the Colt type...couldn't hit a barn door with it though

Then, saw a nice .36 Colt Navy - sold the 1858 & got the Navy - magic bit of kit (then found out that ALL the prize winners in the club were using .36 Navy's!!)

Now using it with paper cartridges which means I can weigh out the powder at home (as I gave my flasks away) - plus the original guns were issued with paper cartridges, so more "spirit of the original" - besides, its much less mess & quicker to do on the day

For rifle, also look at the .451 types - Whitworth, etc.
    As has been said - a smooth bore with a bbl over 24" is just classed as a shotgun so will be easy to buy/try

Good luck - enjoy the black arts
    .22 BRNO Mod 2 & 511, .22 SGC V-22, .223 (Armalon), .30-06 M1903A4 & Win 70, .36 Colt Navy 1861, .45 Win 94, .455 New Service. 410 Webley b/a, 12ga: Ithaca 37DSPS & FN A5 & Rem 870 & Win 1897, 10ga "Greylag"

Hi Lansdown

Welcome to the forum !

Pity you are not a bit closer - we shoot only at Bisley - you could come & try a few pistols & we have a few BP rifles in the club too !

Happy shooting !

Cheers

Roy

New Member & some questions

Gentlemen,
    Many thanks for your response’s and advice – it’s very much appreciated. I got hold of a Henry Krank catalogue (which is a pretty impressive document) and have managed to make some sense of the revolvers, but was struggling with the Musket/Rifles with the sheer volume, type and calibre choice!

Your advice regarding joining a club(s) is what I am currently in the process of doing.
    One club I am looking at shoots at Severnside once a month – I like the longer distances for the rifle. I did meet a couple of members of the Worcester and Norton club there about 6 weeks ago – a very decent couple of gents who let me have a go with their guns. They suggested I have a look at the Worcester Norton Club which I did – the club secretary kindly showed me around one Sunday morning when the black powder shooting/competition was underway stood there for a good half hour or so enthralled – pretty impressive stuff!!!! I am now on the waiting list awaiting the next induction day which I think is likely to be in Jan next year.

One final question (at least at the moment) I was interested to see in the Henry Krank catalogue the 9 shot Le Mat revolver with the central smooth bore barrel. Does anyone shoot these? Not sure I would be interested in one just intrigued with the hybrid design.

Once again thanks for your responses.
    Lansdown

Quote Originally Posted by Lansdown View Post

One final question (at least at the moment) I was interested to see in the Henry Krank catalogue the 9 shot Le Mat revolver with the central smooth bore barrel. Does anyone shoot these? Not sure I would be interested in one just intrigued with the hybrid design.
    Lansdown
    Several years ago, I was at the range when I noticed another shooter loading a strange looking revolver. Upon closer inspection it transpired it was a 9 shot LeMat. That gentleman was gracious enough to let me handle it and I was quite surprised by its fine balance, though it looked quite awkward and bulky. I also understood from the shooter that it was extremely accurate and I the cards he shot did not disprove it. I have yet to see a LeMat firing it’s buckshot load and look forward to that someday

I was so captivated by the LeMat, I soon put in a variation for one, only to find out that not a single shop had one in stock. Kranks was willing to get me one, but that never materialised after about 4 months of waiting. As many things in life, I moved on and soon forgot about it until now. Yep, highly tempting

ATB,
    Krish

Quote Originally Posted by Lansdown View Post
    Gentlemen,
    Many thanks for your response’s and advice – it’s very much appreciated. I got hold of a Henry Krank catalogue (which is a pretty impressive document) and have managed to make some sense of the revolvers, but was struggling with the Musket/Rifles with the sheer volume, type and calibre choice!
    Just be aware that not everything in the Krank's catalogue is available without a long delay. They carry a good stock of revolvers, but rifles are a different matter. Ken (of Kranks) said that they had to include everything as a condition of being a dealer/importer.
    Certainly the three or four that I came up with were not available without a very long wait (months).
    But they do carry a much bigger selection of second hand than I thought, so as soon as I have my FAC I'm making the pilgrimage up there
    Frank

I know a Dealer with a new LeMat at waaaaaay under Kranks prices if you are interested

Eamil me rather tham PM

Cheers

Roy

What would the LeMat calibre be stated as - .44/.65 ??
    Frank

I know the real babies were .42 & .63 -Maybe Krish can step in & offer advice

I think the repros are .44 & 16 bore

Roy