Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UBC "Chinese Rifles"

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends

UBC "Chinese Rifles"

I've already posted this on the UBC forum, but as there seems to be few visitors there I thought I'd put it here as well. Not strictly pistols but with the UBC the link is there.

Thanks

This is just an off the wall idea.

Many years ago when I raced 1/10 electric buggies the club I raced with held a restricted class of racing. Mardave were a budget brand that produced a very basic Mini carpet racer. The idea was that everyone used a standard Mardave Mini, cost around £30, no modifications were allowed and all the radio kit & batteries had to be budget. Back then a top race buggy would have cost the best part of £500+ so this was a breath of fresh air.

Still with me?

My proposal is that we run a "Chinese Rifles" comp. 6yds with open sights, 10yds with scopes. Simple Bulls Eye comp, 10 shots. These days you can buy a simple rifle and scope for less than £100 new, this would replicate the Mardave Series I remember of old. Springers only, no Co2. It would be more about skill than equipment.

I know there is an option for rifles in the Vintage section, but there are quite a few top end target rifles in there, albeit vintage now. Look at the recent scores though and you will see almost perfect rounds.

My idea is a budget comp for the masses, not expensive to get started but damn addictive.

Your comments please.

Paul

ps I'll happily run this comp.
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Sounds like the Vintage rifles category but without the vintage requirement.

My honest response is that it sounds like a good idea, but the problem is that we already have so many shoots - Vintage, Paid, Police, 10m, 6yd - that it's becoming a problem for the shooters to shoot them and for the administrators - and poor Paddy is doing most of the work - to announce, create targets, add up scores, etc.

If we did this, we'd probably have to add it as another category with Vintage - or, open the Vintage category to include it - since we already have more shooting categories than we have weekends in the month TO shoot them.

Also, I'm wondering what effect this would have on our Vintage competition, whcih has already had a disappointingly low turnout. Might it decrease participation in Vintage? Or increase it, if "cheapie" rifles (and pistols?) could be used as well? Only experience could answer that question.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hi Jim, it is like the Vintage but without the target rifles. I have already asked Paddy if I can shoot an indeterminate age Chinese Snowpeak .22 underlever that I got cheap in the 10mtr Optical division.

I do see your points though, I would be more than happy to share the admin work with Paddy, if he wants.

I would be quite happy to shoot 6yd in the vintage with a Chinese rifle. It gives me another excuse to buy another gun

Paul
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

Lightbulb Chinese Lifles

Hi Paul
    OK you want a Chinese lifle contest and are prepared to run it I will organise a site for you to run it from. I'm happy to set it up but after that it's over to you. I will also mention it on the Bunny and put in a link.
    I can't speak for the UBC but if you ask I imagine there will be no problem afiliating the site but as I am not the entire management team I can only offer personal help. The site would be free.

Incidentaly the QB78 is a a damn good cheap lifle based on the old Crosman and in the right hands gives very good results, can be tuned so far past the legal limit that you need a telescope to see it, and is freely available.

Regards
    Target Bunny
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    Incidentaly the QB78 is a a damn good cheap lifle based on the old Crosman and in the right hands gives very good results, can be tuned so far past the legal limit that you need a telescope to see it, and is freely available.
    I quite agree Jim, this one is on my list as a possible future purchase if I can find a way of sneaking it past 'er indoors. Pistols are easy, they fit in a carrier bag along with stuff from B&Q making it easy to get them into the shed, and they fit in the cupboard. Rifles, however, tend to be more difficult to get in, but not impossible . But they don't fit in my secure cupboard, the gun safe is full with shotguns, Daystates (well A Daystate), and a couple of old springers, so it has to stay on view where she may well spot it. I would need to dismantle either the B2 or the HW35 and stash it at the back of the power tool cupboard to make a space.
    We'll see
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Can i use this as a spring pistol then ?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/harvey_s/4096368082/

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Can i use this as a spring pistol then ?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/harvey_s/4096368082/
    Dear God, what's that

Paul
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

Dunno, but it looks like it should be section 5
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by jefL View Post
    Dunno, but it looks like it should be section 5
    Or "Class 3", as we'd say in the US. Which includes: destructive devices, fully automatic, SILENCERS, rifles with barrels less than 16 inches....

....See, your laws aren't always tougher than ours!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

just out of interest...does that include compensators as opposed to moderators?

No, not so long as they aren't designed to muffle the sound.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    Hi Paul
    OK you want a Chinese lifle contest and are prepared to run it I will organise a site for you to run it from. I'm happy to set it up but after that it's over to you. I will also mention it on the Bunny and put in a link.
    I can't speak for the UBC but if you ask I imagine there will be no problem afiliating the site but as I am not the entire management team I can only offer personal help. The site would be free.

Regards
    Target Bunny
    Thanks for the offer Jim, appreciate the offer. I was hoping this may have struck a chord with the UBC members but it seems to have fallen flat. What the heck I might just go and buy a QB78 and hope that something changes. I've got my Snowpeak springer that Paddy says I can shoot in the vintage 10yd Optical section. It was worth a try.

ATB

Paul
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

Hi all.

What I propose to do is incorporate an 'Open Class Rifle' within the Vintage.

As to Mirror what Jim Mc saying about the low turnout in the Vintage especially the optical rifle which was only me & there not being enough weeks in a month

So from the 28th November I will start Season 2 of the Vintage Competition & have the Open Class ready.

I've changed the >RULES< on the UBC Competition website.

If you have any questions just let me know.

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Thanks Paddy, you're a STAR . I just need to get the 6yd rifle bought, mmm, wonder what to get

Thanks again mate

Paul
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55