Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: UBC "Chinese Rifles"

sol1821 is offline I'm back from resting, and I have the Jaffacakes!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pad. E View Post
    Hi Sol

The x ring is 10.1 . So if all your pellets were straight though the x ring then you score 50.5 or you had one x ring & four 10's then it is 50.1

So all it means is that we can deduce who has had the better group/score.

I think I'm right anyway Target Bunny is the man on that department.

regards
    Paddy
    cool

as it was 10m pistol week i got a bit carried away and shot my rifle with open sights at 10m then reading through saw that it was open at 6yrd and optical at 10m. so went and did my 6yrd scores.
    is it ok to submit my open sights score at 10m this month as im in the process of getting a scope for it then start with the scope at 10m next month just so i don't miss a month??
    cheers sol
    Particle physics gives me a hadron.
    Sliced bread.
    The best thing since ripped up bread.

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    Like Jim McArthur I shot this one the other day and it wasn't as easy as I had expected. My main problem was aquiring the correct aim point and black on black foresight and target. To illustrate, it was 45 left target and 40 right, because on the left I dropped a flyer low and left and on the right I dropped a flyer totaly off the scoring zone. The groups of four were passable on the left and good on the right. The odd thing is that even using the criteria below I would only have dropped 1 point on the left target and none on the right.

If there are no fanatical objections I will alter next months target by moving the
    10 zone to the x and shifting all the other zones inwards by one point.
    Now I'll wait for comments before I do this.
    Target Bunny
    Hi Jim I would prefer to use Jim Mc's suggestion to use the old target. This new one is very "black", canes the printer ink

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post

I like the old red white and blue target we used last Season.

But is this new one reslly that easy?

Probably so. But my scores don't so indicate!

Jim
    Hi Jim, I really do think it's too easy, but I did like the look of the old target.

Paul

Hi Sol

The x ring is 10.1 . So if all your pellets were straight though the x ring then you score 50.5 or you had one x ring & four 10's then it is 50.1

So all it means is that we can deduce who has had the better group/score.

I think I'm right anyway Target Bunny is the man on that department.

regards
    Paddy
    Hi Paddy, if that's how they need to be scored can you adjust my scores by 0.1 on each distance.

Thanks

Paul
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

I shot it yesterday with my old Crosman 66 pump up (10 pumps for a massive 6 ft.lbs, but I shot it on 5 pumps) open sights 3, 3 sighting shots, pretty well bang on at six yards, not bad for a rifle that's probably been standing nearly 20 years since I last shot it at paper targets. I've not had time to add up the scores but I'd agree the 10 ring is a little large for 6 yards.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Exclamation Rifles Range

Hi Adam
    Yes it is to large for 6 yards which is why it's meant to be 10 Metres for rifle.
    Anybody else make this error?

Now the message below is on the UBC website but since we want responses please have a look.

After the first round with the new target there is some debate as to whether the new target is too easy. Fair enough let's look at the options.

Paddy wants to change things around to prevent them getting stale so a new "vintage" target was needed. the one in use is based on an original 5 to an A4 sheet used during the 60s & 70s but for rifle shooting. It has been enlarged to allow for pistols. Then the "Lord of Cammo" decides to expand to rifles as well in this section. No problem there as both of us want to encourage people to shoot. "Oh yeah! Can you get it on the board by the weekend"? This is on Thursday! "And since we're at it can it cope with rifles at 10 metres as well"?

So you got the one we have just shot. The options are as follows. 1) The whole thing will be reduced with the outer white failing toscore and the X ring being the bull with the rest of the rings scoring out from that. Have a look at the one marked sample below. 2) Keep the one we have but score outwards for rifle and inwards for pistol and ignore the X ring.

I don't mind but Paddy and I want the contest to be as mutually agreed as possible because if there is no agreement Paddy as the contest organiser will simply make a rulling and it's "end of" at that point.

So hit the bulletin boards with your comments.
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Hi Adam
    Yes it is to large for 6 yards which is why it's meant to be 10 Metres for rifle.
    yes,
    i thought it was 6yrds open sights
    10m optical sights
    with rifles
    Sliced bread.

Hi Adam

Now the message below is on the UBC website but since we want responses please have a look.

After the first round with the new target there is some debate as to whether the new target is too easy. Fair enough let's look at the options.

Paddy wants to change things around to prevent them getting stale so a new "vintage" target was needed. the one in use is based on an original 5 to an A4 sheet used during the 60s & 70s but for rifle shooting. It has been enlarged to allow for pistols. Then the "Lord of Cammo" decides to expand to rifles as well in this section. No problem there as both of us want to encourage people to shoot. "Oh yeah! Can you get it on the board by the weekend"? This is on Thursday! "And since we're at it can it cope with rifles at 10 metres as well"?

So you got the one we have just shot. The options are as follows. 1) The whole thing will be reduced with the outer white failing toscore and the X ring being the bull with the rest of the rings scoring out from that. Have a look at the one marked sample below. 2) Keep the one we have but score outwards for rifle and inwards for pistol and ignore the X ring.

I don't mind but Paddy and I want the contest to be as mutually agreed as possible because if there is no agreement Paddy as the contest organiser will simply make a rulling and it's "end of" at that point.

So hit the bulletin boards with your comments.

Thanks Jim for this reply.

It goes to show how much we work for our club. Sometimes we do things with such a short time scale & the only way to test it, is for it going live. So from me thanks Jim.

Now I still haven't had chance to print the target let alone shoot it. So I'm only going on what everyone is saying.

Now with what Jim has explained with his options, they are viable & can be easily changed for round two.

We do try & give as much opportunity for the UBC members to come up with ideas & suggestions. Just like the new Open Class was a suggestion of Paul. I proposed to take it on within the vintage comp as for me it suited it best, for running & doing the admin work.

So guys if you want to go with Jims options or use the old one as 6yd & new one for 10m I'm fine with it. Aslong as we are all clear before round 2.

If not as Jim says I'll make the final decision as I'm the Organiser.

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Thanks Jim for this reply.

It goes to show how much we work for our club. Sometimes we do things with such a short time scale & the only way to test it, is for it going live. So from me thanks Jim.

Now I still haven't had chance to print the target let alone shoot it. So I'm only going on what everyone is saying.

Now with what Jim has explained with his options, they are viable & can be easily changed for round two.

We do try & give as much opportunity for the UBC members to come up with ideas & suggestions. Just like the new Open Class was a suggestion of Paul. I proposed to take it on within the vintage comp as for me it suited it best, for running & doing the admin work.

So guys if you want to go with Jims options or use the old one as 6yd & new one for 10m I'm fine with it. Aslong as we are all clear before round 2.

If not as Jim says I'll make the final decision as I'm the Organiser.

Regards
    Paddy.
    Hi Paddy, can I ask again, why can't we use the old target for both. I'm talking about the multi coloured retro one. I know Jim Mc was hoping for that as well. I don't know anything about sizing for different distances but from what I looked at they all look sort of the same. I do know that the one of the targets was resized to take account of pellet sizes, I think.

Anyway that was my two pennies worth, I hope everyone chips in with their comments.

I do appreciate all the work you guys do, thank you.

ATB

Paul
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

Quote Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
    Anyway that was my two pennies worth, I hope everyone chips in with their comments.

I do appreciate all the work you guys do, thank you.

ATB

Paul
    i think something a little harder might be needed. depending on peoples scores this week

im fine to go with the flow though
    Sliced bread.

Question New Comp??

Reading all these threads its becoming confusing, ref target I thought the rules said rifles open sight 6yds, optical 10mtrs, indeed it looks as though
    some have shot this way already, target i thought was all 10, but is it now 10.1 for the X ring??, can some one PLEASE give a set ruling for this month,
    and may I suggest discuss changes!! after this months comp is completed to avoid further confusion, I can't shoot till later in the week due to work commitments, and @ this rate we'll get daily changes.:
    ...mike...

Quote Originally Posted by mickson View Post
    Reading all these threads its becoming confusing, ref target I thought the rules said rifles open sight 6yds, optical 10mtrs, indeed it looks as though
    some have shot this way already, target i thought was all 10, but is it now 10.1 for the X ring??, can some one PLEASE give a set ruling for this month,
    and may I suggest discuss changes!! after this months comp is completed to avoid further confusion, I can't shoot till later in the week due to work commitments, and @ this rate we'll get daily changes.:
    ...mike...
    Hi Mike, it is getting a bit confusing isn't it. Here's my take on it.

The 10 ring counts as a score of 10, the x ring counts as 10.1. 6yds are shot as open sights, 10mtrs are shot as optical. That's what I did anyway.

Good luck for later this week

ATVB

Paul

ps please put your vote in for your preferred target
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

Question New Comp??

Just had another look @ vintage rules seems to say 6yds open sights,optical
    sights 10mtrs, target seems to say 10ring+x = all10, but hey do'nt mind as long as i know what to do, and we all do the same, atb to all...mike...

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I agree that a lot of shooters don't understand all the work Jim D. is doing with these targets, so I too would like to extend a big Thank You to him.

I don't know that the old target was necessarily better, only prettier!

But here's a thought: what IS shooting all about, really, when it comes right down to it? It's about hitting a target. That is to say, A target - as in ANY target.

If we really want to become accomplished shooters, we need to be able to rise to the occasion, and hit whatever target is posted.

If it's "hard to see", or "the bullseye is too small, or too big" : well, therein lies the challenge! Try to hit that little bullseye. Or try to hit that big bullseye better than the other shooter, or better than you did last time.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Exclamation New Comp??

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I agree that a lot of shooters don't understand all the work Jim D. is doing with these targets, so I too would like to extend a big Thank You to him.

I don't know that the old target was necessarily better, only prettier!

But here's a thought: what IS shooting all about, really, when it comes right down to it? It's about hitting a target. That is to say, A target - as in ANY target.

If we really want to become accomplished shooters, we need to be able to rise to the occasion, and hit whatever target is posted.

If it's "hard to see", or "the bullseye is too small, or too big" : well, therein lies the challenge! Try to hit that little bullseye. Or try to hit that big bullseye better than the other shooter, or better than you did last time.

Jim
    I to commend jim + all U fella's that run All the comp's, & do'nt mind what target we shoot i'm just seeking clarification, the original rules became clear, but recent threads on here seem to suggest things may have changed!!, luckily work commitments mean i won't get to shoot till thu/fri,just want to check distance and scoring before i do as per my 2 previous threads
    ATB to all ...mike...

Quote Originally Posted by mickson View Post
    I to commend jim + all U fella's that run All the comp's, & do'nt mind what target we shoot i'm just seeking clarification, the original rules became clear, but recent threads on here seem to suggest things may have changed!!, luckily work commitments mean i won't get to shoot till thu/fri,just want to check distance and scoring before i do as per my 2 previous threads
    ATB to all ...mike...
    Hi Mike

This has become more complicated as the more time it goes on

On the Vintage / Open Class Thread it states for the categories ~

Open Class

Rifle Open sights 6yds
    Rifle Optical sights 10m

The main problem is the target,

Jim D has already sent me a revised target. So like I said earlier we will run this target for this round & then we'll take it from there on & come up with a viable solution so the majority is happy before Round 2

Please bear in mind that we don't sit down at the table face to face. All this is done via the internet & sometimes within a very short time scale.

Regards
    Paddy
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Smile New Comp??

Hi Mike

This has become more complicated as the more time it goes on

On the Vintage / Open Class Thread it states for the categories ~

Open Class

Rifle Open sights 6yds
    Rifle Optical sights 10m

The main problem is the target,

Jim D has already sent me a revised target. So like I said earlier we will run this target for this round & then we'll take it from there on & come up with a viable solution so the majority is happy before Round 2

Please bear in mind that we don't sit down at the table face to face. All this is done via the internet & sometimes within a very short time scale.

Regards
    Paddy
    Thanks paddy like i said in my threads i don't mind what target we use, glad U've clarified distances, as for scoring i'll assume 10ring +
    X all score 10, regarding targets i'm on the fence till first months results are published, some of these rifles have terrible triggers, and may struggle even with large tenring, thanks buddy atb...mike...