Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airgun Myths and outrageous claims

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Airgun Myths and outrageous claims

As a follow on to the "guns of youth" thread, crosman 766 thread etc, what are the myths you heard as a youth (Airgun related---keep it clean)? The common ones were either paratrooper or Relum related about going through a milk bottle without smashing it and breaking a widow at 200 yards. I know some of the advertising blurb bent the truth but lets keep it to what we heard off our peers.
    Also---daftest thing you heard of someone doing ( again airgun related). Ive a feeling this might involve mainsprings.

keith66 is online now Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    In the Shooting Times on the 28th October a reader asked for info on a Relum tornado he owned.
    John Knibbs replied & i quote "Unfortunately the company no longer supplies air rifles, it is a very well made & robust air rifle with a fixed barrel, a loading tap and is cocked by an underlever, it was only produced in .22 calibre and, when well maintained, is very powerful producing energy slightly under the british legal limit of 12ftlds".
    I couldnt resist posting it here

imorik is offline I stick my head out and take it on the chin.
    Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    As a follow on to the "guns of youth" thread, crosman 766 thread etc, what are the myths you heard as a youth (Airgun related---keep it clean)? The common ones were either paratrooper or Relum related about going through a milk bottle without smashing it and breaking a widow at 200 yards. I know some of the advertising blurb bent the truth but lets keep it to what we heard off our peers.
    Also---daftest thing you heard of someone doing ( again airgun related). Ive a feeling this might involve mainsprings.
    Had a Webley Vulcan .177 in my late teens that did exactly that .
    AA TX200 MK2 .177, MK3 Barrel, long stroked & shortened T/P
    AA TX200 MK3 HC .177, 22mm internals, shortened T/P
    http://www.anstonftc.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by imorik View Post
    Had a Webley Vulcan .177 in my late teens that did exactly that .
    My first AA Firepower done that a few times

Also shoot a plastic 2lt bootle of water, first shot goes though without any water leaking, 2nd shot then it starts to pour out.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

I tried to put a Meteor Mainspring in a Gamo Falcon when I was about 14. It ended up in the bin

keith66 is online now Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    First mainspring i ever took out aged 13 was in a Warrior air pistol, as i unscrewed the front block i had no idea it was under tension & as it got to the end this fat lump of iron plus spring leapt from my hand & exited my bedroom through the window which happened to be shut at the time. I found it in the garden & i remember my dad was not best pleased.

A friend of my Dads wanted to give me his air pistol,a Diana(gat type).
    This was many years ago before gun paranoia took over.The transaction took place in a pub garden,where I was told"you can hit split matchsticks with this"I dont know about that but it certainly devastated my Airfix collection!
    atb Glyn

AH the " BOTTLE TRICK " only works with BBs

A school friend and I many years ago, Fitted a cut down Puch maxi fork leg spring into my webley mk3 in order to tune it.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    ...breaking a widow at 200 yards... .
    I suppose if youhit her with it... Sorry could not resist

Have to say though those old adverts are a bit fanciful, its the Webley pistol=accuracy ones that get me though, espeically the pre-war variety with groups of army or navy personnel confidently practising with their Mk1s.

I remember the local "big Kid" (a thirteen or fourteen year old) bragging to us (10 year olds) that the rifle slung over his shoulder could penetrate a dustbin and come out the
    other side and this whilst stood outside the local newsagent's , and in the days of solid galvanized steel dustbins that were built to withstand being bounced on the edge of the dustcart when being emptied by the binman.
    When asked to prove it he said he was short of ammunition and was saving his last few pellets for rabbits, no doubt to be shot at 100 yds.
    This was in the mid-1960s
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

I had a very close call as a youth trying to fit a monster ox mainspring into the cylinder of my bsa mercury. I was straddled over the the top of the cylinder pushing down on my dads shed floor with all my might, then it slipped and the ox spring very nearly entered me ..

Quote Originally Posted by BenGun View Post
    ...then it slipped and the ox spring very nearly entered me ..
    At least you could have found gainful employment as Zebedee's stunt double.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    At least you could have found gainful employment as Zebedee's stunt double.
    A spring in the ring is no laughing matter sir...

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm

177 spring.

Shortly after Airgun World revealed that the Feinwerkbau Sport used a different mainspring in its 177 than 22 air rifle every air rifle at school was suddenly more powerful "cos av put a 177 spring in it".
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.