Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pointy pellets of old

H\N Pointed were ok..and silver jet..the rest had no point at all.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Sabos would punch a hole through a wine bottle without breaking it - now that is plinking! (HW35E used to do it).

(Not as good as skittle shoots using 12g pumps in the old days but still fun)
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Old Brass View Post
    im sure they did a champion 'ballistic' aswell......with a ball bearing up the skirt..... why...dont ask me ive no idea.... looked the part though.
    yes they did i have an unopened tin in.22 amongst some of the other pointy pellets mentioned, i might give them a try just to see how bad they are, trouble is i'm a crap shot anyway so how will i know?

An over Vacuumed cottage in NEWPORT Isle of Wight
    Quote Originally Posted by grezoor View Post
    yes they did i have an unopened tin in.22 amongst some of the other pointy pellets mentioned, i might give them a try just to see how bad they are, trouble is i'm a crap shot anyway so how will i know?
    nooooo there not worth opening!!!! there worth more to a pellet collector i bet.

An over Vacuumed cottage in NEWPORT Isle of Wight
    well.....

milbro pointed... oh dear

and there was another make that i cant remember from the late 70s early 80s....
    if you went out with a pocket full of them beggers for a days plinking you'd be in for a glum time.....or sell ye gun thinking it was noo good

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    H&N Coppa Point. These are absolutely the mutt's nuts when fired through my BSA Centenial.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldyman View Post
    H\N Pointed were ok..and silver jet..the rest had no point at all.
    I think these are the fore-runners.....later re -badged as Beeman, but these are the Japanese originals.......even the packs are the same as Beeman.....the quality is outstanding when viewed close up, real little works of art .......and they seem to group really well........I don't hunt, so can't comment on their knock-down ability, but they certainly are accurate......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...77788/sizes/l/

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    I think these are the fore-runners.....later re -badged as Beeman, but these are the Japanese originals.......even the packs are the same as Beeman.....the quality is outstanding when viewed close up, real little works of art .......and they seem to group really well........I don't hunt, so can't comment on their knock-down ability, but they certainly are accurate......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...77788/sizes/l/
    I have a couple packs of these too .

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Silver Jets were excellent quality, allegedly, but so expensive no-one could afford them.

H&N Pointed were very good if you checked them before using, and discarded the fairly rare dodgy ones.

All the others gave poor accuracy, Jackal Jets being some of the worst. Even the RWS Superpoints were not very accurate and they seemed well-made.

One of the surprising pellets of the age was the Beeman Silver Bear/H&N Hollowpoint. This gave extremely good accuracy.

In general though, match pellets like H&N Match or RWS Meisterkulgen were far far better than anything else. Group sizes would be half that of round-head pellets and a third that of pointed pellets (with exception of the Silver Jets and H&N Pointed). Flat-headed match pellets were good for hunting at up to 35 yards, no problem with over-penetration as could be the case with the sharper pointed pellets.

When FT came along it was found the flat-headed match pellets lost energy very quickly at longer ranges. I think that is why the H&N FTT was invented and all those other 'precision' roundheads like the Crosman Accu-Pell.

Roundheads and flat 'wadcutter' pellets are all we need nowadays, I saw some horrendous sharp plastic-tipped pellets the other day, what a nonsense, clearly bad ideas DON'T just roll over and die.