Thread: Just My Luck

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm

Just My Luck

Honestly, if I fell in a barrel of tits I'd come out sucking my thumb.
    I've got a Crosman Mod 1300 Medalist II which I've had since I was 11 (33 years). Over the years it has become a bit of a dog. The finish was non existent after I decided at about 14 years of age that "silver" pistols were cool. The original grips got smashed when the pistol was stolen in a burglary and so it used to wear a set of beech grips I made in woodwork at school. Anyway, just recently I decided that my pistol was in need of a make-over. I managed to acquire a genuine set of grips from a forum member and just recently finished re-bluing it. Although I say it myself the pistol now looks about 200% better than it did 4 days ago. Next step, take it out for a plink. 20 shots later and I was well chuffed. Once I got the sights zeroed I was managing to keep my shots within the black on a 10m pistol target and it was easilly whizzing through a dog meat tin.
    I just went out to have another session with it this afternoon and now it won't pressurise. I was considering sending it off to Mr Armatruda for a re-seal, but now it looks like I'll have to. Bugger!
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Well, if you have done the outside, may as well get Lawrie to do the internals. Then it will be sorted for a good long time.

Why do stolen guns get chopped around by their new 'owners'? Seems common.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    Honestly, if I fell in a barrel of tits I'd come out sucking my thumb.
    I've got a Crosman Mod 1300 Medalist II which I've had since I was 11 (33 years). Over the years it has become a bit of a dog. The finish was non existent after I decided at about 14 years of age that "silver" pistols were cool. The original grips got smashed when the pistol was stolen in a burglary and so it used to wear a set of beech grips I made in woodwork at school. Anyway, just recently I decided that my pistol was in need of a make-over. I managed to acquire a genuine set of grips from a forum member and just recently finished re-bluing it. Although I say it myself the pistol now looks about 200% better than it did 4 days ago. Next step, take it out for a plink. 20 shots later and I was well chuffed. Once I got the sights zeroed I was managing to keep my shots within the black on a 10m pistol target and it was easilly whizzing through a dog meat tin.
    I just went out to have another session with it this afternoon and now it won't pressurise. I was considering sending it off to Mr Armatruda for a re-seal, but now it looks like I'll have to. Bugger!

If you have a small hole in the backplug on the cylinder try pushing a cocktail stick in to reset the trigger.

If thats a no go then it sounds like the quadseal has gone in the exhaust valve. I normally replace these with a metric O ring as they seem to work better than the proper imperial sized O ring.

I am just sorting some O rings out for gggr so that he can reseal the 1300's he recently bought off here, so if you want to have a go yourself PM me your addy and I'll send you some O rings as well (FOC).

If you are unsure then Lawrie is the man.

All the best Mick

Seals

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    If you have a small hole in the backplug on the cylinder try pushing a cocktail stick in to reset the trigger.

If thats a no go then it sounds like the quadseal has gone in the exhaust valve. I normally replace these with a metric O ring as they seem to work better than the proper imperial sized O ring.

I am just sorting some O rings out for gggr so that he can reseal the 1300's he recently bought off here, so if you want to have a go yourself PM me your addy and I'll send you some O rings as well (FOC).

If you are unsure then Lawrie is the man.

All the best Mick
    Thanks very much for the offer Mick. After I found it wouldn't pressurise I stripped it down and inspected the workings, and although I couldn't detect any damaged seals the valve work seems so simple that that's all it really can be. Which O ring is the "quad seal"?
    Mine isn't the variant with the hole in the cylinder end plug, although I have seen pistols like that and always wondered what the function of the hole was.
    PM inbound with my address details and thanks again.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Why do stolen guns get chopped around by their new 'owners'? Seems common.
    Thankfully the scrote's period of ownership was not very long and the gun(s) were recovered quickly. Then came the bug bear of getting them back from the police, who for some reason hung on to them for over a year. Also stolen were a Jackal AR7 and a Webley Hawk MkII. All came back with some damage. Funnily enough the lad that nicked them admitted that he'd damaged the pistol (knocking a nail in to a tree), but said the other 2 were perfect when recovered.
    My next job is to tackle re-finishing the AR7 because that also fell victim to my youthful silver gun fetish.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    Thanks very much for the offer Mick. After I found it wouldn't pressurise I stripped it down and inspected the workings, and although I couldn't detect any damaged seals the valve work seems so simple that that's all it really can be. Which O ring is the "quad seal"?
    Mine isn't the variant with the hole in the cylinder end plug, although I have seen pistols like that and always wondered what the function of the hole was.
    PM inbound with my address details and thanks again.
    Hi Harry

The quad seal is inside part number 130-057 as shown here

http://www.crosman.com/pdf/manuals/c.../C1300-EVP.pdf

The seal is retained by the steel washer which is peened into the end of the brass cap, you just dig the old seal out with a pin and then insert an O ring.

The correct size Quad seal is 3/16" ID X 5/16 OD, I use a metric O ring at 4.4mm ID X 8.4mm OD as I find they work better than the equivalant imperial size O ring.
    Anyway thats the size I'll be posting to you as soon as I get a chance.

All the best Mick