Thread: What is the purpose of the Wad in a BP revolver?

What is the purpose of the Wad in a BP revolver?

Just curious, but what purpose does the wad serve in a BP revolver?

I ask because a long-time BP shooter I was tallking to at the weekend, said that they were not necessary. He uses Powder (from one flask), filler (from another flask) then ball. Job done and pretty quick.

What do others think?
    Frank

I dont use filler (fekkin messy) - I use wads to bring the ball height up (that should read "ball closer to the mouth of the chamber" - sorry !)

My Dad however - uses cous-cous as a filler (even though I give him his wads free !!)- I suppose thats one the interesting bits about Black Powder - the 'load development'/tweaking/trying different things etc !!

Roy

Last edited by harricook; 16-11-2009 at 12:20 PM.

as above, to bring the ball up. I use filler too (ground rice - 9mm case full.)

Plus, if you used lubed wads helps keep the fouling softer.

Haddington...via Mackemland, born in Yorkshire
    Did use them, now gone to making paper cartridges instead - so not part of that design concept...

Not noticed any problems since switching to the cartridges, apart from faster reloads & a lot less mess/fumbling about...
    .22 BRNO Mod 2 & 511, .22 SGC V-22, .223 (Armalon), .30-06 M1903A4 & Win 70, .36 Colt Navy 1861, .45 Win 94, .455 New Service. 410 Webley b/a, 12ga: Ithaca 37DSPS & FN A5 & Rem 870 & Win 1897, 10ga "Greylag"

If shooting full power(Bisley) I fill the chamber up leaving room for a ball. I used to use a wad but don't bother now. I think it is supposed to prevent flashover but with todays accurately made balls, I always get a nice lead ring after loading the ball. In my mind, this means there's been a good seal and flashover can't happen
    If shooting half powder(local club) I put some powder in then top up with cous cous, leaving room for a ball. The reason for the cous cous is to prevent detonation caused by having a half full chamber. The reason for half power is to keep the noise down.

Reduce the risk of flashover and help keep crud build up down a bit when using BP or Pyrodex.

Filler does the same job regards flashover, I use 777 so alox lubed balls and I dont need the messy lubed wads or over ball grease.

Flashover is getting a bit rare especially across the front of chamber (target shooters are fussy about good fitting well shaped balls), only one I've seen was across nipple when someones cap fell off.

A nice thick wad or filler is a good buffer between the bang and ball, so some say.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane