Thread: I hate to see it.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

I hate to see it.

Dry firing---especially in shops. I dont mind someone firing off the co2 stuff but please not the classics. In the last couple of years seen shop owners dry fire a Walther lp 53, scorpion and a few Webley pistols. Ive seen them fire a couple of older spring powered rifles as well. HATE ITArggggghhhhhhhh.
    Last edited by ggggr; 18-11-2009 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Arrgggh

And not only in airguns... I dry fired my Over/Under 12 bore to find 1/2" of firing pin skating across the floor!

Bury,Lancashire, about 12 miles north of Mancheste

Dry Firing

[QUOTE=ggggr;3920963]Dry firing---especially in shops.

Been into C£%s^*?e G$> R<<? have you?
    Laudator temporis acti

whats the matter with you it does them gooooooooooood.......

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    [QUOTE=Pagoda113;3921124]
    Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    Dry firing---especially in shops.

Been into C£%s^*?e G$> R<<? have you?
    Would that be a room full of guns somewhere near Chester by any chance?
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

i would only consider dryfiring springers with a large piece of potato in the breech!12ftlbs makes one hell of a spud gun ;very good way of testing b2s .
    sorry guy couldnt resist a legpull now im back on line.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

You mentioned 'dry' firing a Scorpion, I had to do a rebuild on one that had been mistreated like this, the head of the piston snapped off.
    As for 'dry' firing in a shop - don't these 'gunsmiths' know anything about springer mechanics?
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

Dry firing

Why not use a bucket of sand or earth. Jenny Dipple

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Dipple View Post
    Why not use a bucket of sand or earth. Jenny Dipple
    Tried that but couldn't get one in the breach!
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

A crime

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    Dry firing---especially in shops. -----------
    HATE ITArggggghhhhhhhh.
    Like you I cringe when I see it - 'no feel for the metal mentality'

I know a pistol target shooter who regularly shot his FWB 65 over and over again without a pellet. Despite some good advice, he was convinced that the buffer on the piston head and the pistols low power would prevent any damage.
    After several months of abuse the piston ring broke and he faced a hefty bill to have the pistol repaired.

Seeing vice jaw marks on rifle cylinders and pistol bodies are my other pet hate! AND seeing someone trying to remove a tiny screw with a huge screwdriver. Or perhaps I am too fussy
    hold me back !!

i hate to see rear sling swivels screwed into the pistol grip ( GUNS RUINED )
    seen some really nice guns spoiled that way or 1/2" from the but plate

Yes ... I have seen dry firing at auctions as well. The auction staff say nothing.
    I have made a mental note of the firers at times and virtually all of them never bid on the rifles. Maybe they think it is just a fun thing to do.

Personally I see no harm in examining the bore by 'breaking' a break-barrel rifle and, depending on the rifle, I will compress the spring to cocking point to check for untoward noises, spring pressure, and sear engagement. It is then a simple matter to return the barrel in a controlled fashion: dry firing is not required.
    Of course, if I know an anti-bear trap is fitted then cocking to sear engagement is just not on.
    Mind you, on one occasion a person 'dry fired' a Crosmann 766 that turned out to have a BB in the magazine. Luckily the rifle was pointing to the ground when the trigger was pulled. I do not know how many pumps had been used but it certainly surprised the firer!

Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post
    Seeing vice jaw marks on rifle cylinders and pistol bodies are my other pet hate! AND seeing someone trying to remove a tiny screw with a huge screwdriver. Or perhaps I am too fussy
    I hate to see pliers and mold-grips being used to turn airgun parts, they invariably gouge and mark the bits they grip. I hate to see screwdrivers too small for the screws they are turning, it focusses the torque on a small area and gouges or distorts the screw-head. Why do people do these things?