Thread: Highland Outdoors Pistols advert Dec2009 AGW

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy

Highland Outdoors Pistols advert Dec2009 AGW

Hi Guys,

3 new air pistols advertised on the back page of AGW this month

I particularly like the Dan Wesson, looks like a 8" 686, that seems to take .177 TAC style cartriges

If that's legal I want one NOW!

Nothing on their website or the ASG website listed on the advert

I've sent an email asking for details.

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

I also got a little excited so did a few searches on the Internet

See youtube and they fire plastic bb's!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH79eaRsX8I

And now I am NOT excited ..
    http://www.dukinfieldagc.org.uk/
    Dukinfield Air Gun Club
    Stockfield Mill, Chadderton, OL9 9EW

8Ollocks!

Though it does say 4.5mm airguns, so it may be a variation on that one if we are lucky

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!

Seen and handled all 3 pistols when the rep brought them into the shop, the revolver defo fires pellets, but all 3 pistols feel cheap and are made of plastic. needless to say we are not going to stock them

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets Bueller View Post
    Seen and handled all 3 pistols when the rep brought them into the shop, the revolver defo fires pellets, but all 3 pistols feel cheap and are made of plastic. needless to say we are not going to stock them
    Thanks, it's amazing what they can do with some good pics.

Cheers

John

Quote Originally Posted by Snooper601 View Post
    Hi Guys,

3 new air pistols advertised on the back page of AGW this month

I particularly like the Dan Wesson, looks like a 8" 686, that seems to take .177 TAC style cartriges

If that's legal I want one NOW!

Nothing on their website or the ASG website listed on the advert

I've sent an email asking for details.

Cheers

John
    The cartridge is only a pellet holder and doesnt hold a charge so it not a TAC and is legal. My local store, Solware, aims to stock them and is confident they will sell well
    each to their own eh
    atb
    Nigel
    BSA Superten BBK (Blueprinted), BSA Ultra SS Regged, Tanfoglio Witness, Umarex 1911
    and many, many bows and slingshots

Chaps, can we clear up the 'plastic pistols' thing, please?

First, the Dan Wesson has a metal frame and ABS grips, as has the CZ75. The Steyr is fully ABS, and all three pistols are made from the actual blueprints of their live-ammo versions.

Just so you know, like.

Had the pleasure of trying one yesterday.

Its standard steel BB’s I think, as I didn’t load it, that pop into the front of the cartridge. The cartridge has a hole where the primer would be, so the CO goes straight through to fire the BB.
    Great fun, not a bad trigger, but does take a while to keep loading those cartridges.

I had a hold of the other two, but not a fire. One’s blowback and felt good in the hand. The other was a little light for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post

First, the Dan Wesson has a metal frame and ABS grips, as has the CZ75. The Steyr is fully ABS, and all three pistols are made from the actual blueprints of their live-ammo versions.

Just so you know, like.
    Thanks for the info Terry, they sent me some 1 page pdfs by email and that shows the same info.
    They're all 'steel BB firers' and as such, are not what I'm looking for to add to my collection.
    The Wesson has a SSRP of £140.
    Looks like my new acquisitions will be limited to the Alecto that I have on order

Cheers

John

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    The Dan Wesson deffo looks interesting - from what I can see on youtube it looks as if it comes in both 6mm airsoft and .177 flavours.
    The handgrip removal mechanism to change the CO2 looks better than the normal poxy pop-off versions.
    If it takes pellets as well as BB's and there are spare "bullets" available to buy at a sensible price as well - it might be a winner.....

Does anyone know whether they have rifled barrels or are they smoothbore?
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Smoothbore

itsaheadshot Guest
    hi seen this post so thought I would add some comments I have all three as mentioned

the CZ 75 compact and Steyr Mannicher are manufactured from tough ABS as already commented they are of excellent build quality and a very good representation of the real versions. Also at a reasonable price! They shoot metal bb's and run of one small co2 capsule.

Now the Dan Wesson 8" Barrel Metal bb firing version is the dogs bolloxs!! I don't often use that word but in this case I will as it is one of the best metal bb firing pistols I have had the pleasure of owning! And I own alot trust me! The build quality is 10/10 manufactured from mainly metal except rubberised pistol grip. This is a beast of a pistol and far better than a Ruger!!

Now there are another two from ASG which are airsoft versions a CZ 75 compact version which I have not seen as yet but will have one. The silver 4" Dan Wesson revolver is again repeat the Dog Bolloxs this is an airsoft version so shoots plastic bb's very accurate and more powerful than most permitted skirmish sites. These are classed as air weapons due to power. I will update on the CZ 75 airsoft version but coming from ASG there will be no issues! I would love if we were able to get whole ASG range in UK but are limited through only a few importers.
    Last edited by itsaheadshot; 03-02-2010 at 08:15 PM. Reason: spelling

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post

Just so you know, like.
    Actual Blueprints Oh aye!,
    I'm not sure Dan Wesson himself ever made anything with the barrel carried in a two-part die-cast carrier with the cover insert half held in place with self tappers???
    That they're the same shape and size and similar weight is about right.
    I also don't doubt they represent great value for money but anyone who's held and fired a real revolver will spot where money has been saved in the engineering, if they'd been twice the price & felt well engineered I'd have had one,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

itsaheadshot Guest
    hi obviously in terms of engineering/workmanship they are no where near the real deal but the price certainly represents value for money. Crosman/Daisy/Umarex all supply ABS models I was disapointed with the Umarex P30 I think the USP version is far better that is just my opinion in terms of value for money. You get what you pay for and I certainly recommend ASG.