Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grandma's Attic

If it is indeed an original antique Remington and in good working order, I would place a value of between £700 to £1000. It all depends on how much of the original finish remains. The more original finish left on the gun, the higher the price. I have seen examples with 90% finish going for £3000.

Quote Originally Posted by njaw View Post
    If it is indeed an original antique Remington and in good working order, I would place a value of between £700 to £1000. It all depends on how much of the original finish remains. The more original finish left on the gun, the higher the price. I have seen examples with 90% finish going for £3000.
    I agree with the above. I have seen ropey specimens going for £650 and around £1000 to £1200 will buy a decent one albeit with not much original finish remaining.

Don't, for God's sake, clean it

Edit: Mine has the serial number below the barrel, under the rammer, Remington's address on the top.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    hi, if its pre-war and a muzzle loader[cap and ball] its section 58 anyway regardless of who made it ,but i agree with jim i do not think replicas were made back then ..cheers greasemonkey
    Hi, GM! Yes, I forgot that the UK's cut-off date on muzzleloaders being "modern" is 1939.

Stories about in the US about being able to buy these old Civil War and Old West pieces as junk - with prices to match - as late as the 1950's.

Not any more.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by njaw View Post
    Congratulations, Steve!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

[QUOTE=robinghewitt;3926646]Don't, for God's sake, clean it QUOTE]

I wont be 'cleaning' it. I have become quite attached to this & can't put it down
    It's starting to look better with a bit of handling and being wiped down with an oily rag.
    I have seen replicas advertised quite cheaply and must say I'm tempted
    Are there any clubs local to me and how hard is it to get a ticket for one of them? I gave up my FAC at renewal eairler this year but retained my SGC
    Cheers
    Steve
    Think YOUR having a bad day? sort of puts things into perspective eh?
    http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/q...n/Image579.jpg

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieB1968 View Post
    Are there any clubs local to me and how hard is it to get a ticket for one of them?
    This place looks close to you !
    http://www.drpc1999.com/

They may fasttrack your probationary period if you previously held a FAC, but you will have to be a probationer for a while - no way around that. Once you are able to apply for a FAC again, should be just a matter of routine to get it on ticket.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)