Thread: Help identifying rear sight

Help identifying rear sight

Acquired a rifle recently with an incorrect rear sight fitted. I want to know what the sight was off. The sight is a dovetail one similar to that fitted to an early Webley Mk3 but much smaller.
    Dimensions are:
    Height of block 11mm/0.43"
    width of block 16.5mm/0.65"
    bottom of dovetail 10.2mm/0.4" This may have been reduced from a larger dimension to enable it to fit the rifle it was in.
    Like the Webley Mk3, the adjuster wheel has an anticlockwise thread, but smaller.
    The adjuster wheel and spring are missing.

Any help identifying this sight will be much appreciated,

thanks

dogsbody

Is it an old BSA one? have you got a pic?

Could be off a cadet??

john
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Pictures

Hopefully this is a link to some photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40629679@N08/4119344447/

Maybe I should have cleaned it first!

Hope the pictures work ok.

thanks

dogsbody

edbear2 Guest
    Looks like a home made one......that said, someone with access to machinery, but just doesn't seem to have the look of a factory (well ...../german) made job.

Looks home made

Ed, Scott, you may well be right, thank you. It was fitted to an airsporter mark II (GD). So unlikely to have been made for that rifle as it is nothing like the original sight which would have been easier to make than this one. Certainly the base looks like it has been modified with machinery. If not home made, it could have come off anything even a firearm. In operation and parts except for size it is remarkably similar to the Webley mk III even to the little screw in the side to limit the blade travel.
    Anybody else got any ideas?
    atb
    dogsbody

Its broadly similar to a Mk1 Airsporter rear sight.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

It is similar to the Mk I Airsporter, Paul, or at least to the sight on a Club model I have. Its smaller (height, which may have been reduced) and slightly wider. If it was a home made sight, why have a counter-clockwise thread when a normal clockwise thread would be so much easier? The sight blade is 'I' section looking from the top and only a perfectionist would have cut away part of it and added the little screw to limit the blade travel. No history came with the rifle it was fitted to as it was an auction buy. I have scanned books and websites but can't see anything that might be it. Saying that detailed pictures of rear sights don't seem to be that common.
    thanks everybody for the suggestions received so far, keep them coming.
    atb
    dogsbody

Quote Originally Posted by dogsbody View Post
    It is similar to the Mk I Airsporter, Paul, or at least to the sight on a Club model I have. Its smaller (height, which may have been reduced) and slightly wider. If it was a home made sight, why have a counter-clockwise thread when a normal clockwise thread would be so much easier? The sight blade is 'I' section looking from the top and only a perfectionist would have cut away part of it and added the little screw to limit the blade travel. No history came with the rifle it was fitted to as it was an auction buy. I have scanned books and websites but can't see anything that might be it. Saying that detailed pictures of rear sights don't seem to be that common.
    thanks everybody for the suggestions received so far, keep them coming.
    atb
    dogsbody
    I agree with you that the design is pretty elegant and there is a lot of work in there for it to be a home made jobbie.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.