Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How hard should a course be

Quote Originally Posted by simmmo View Post
    Thankyou.

Used to be a member at Bisley so I suppose I still have a bit of CSFTA in me, just prefer a few more reducers with a bit of veg in the way.

Monkey
    Ah........that would explain your passion for tough sh*t then.....

I love CSFTA - one of the best kept secrets in HFT.

Small but intense

Bisley were 1st up this year and put a stunner out - thier best by a long country mile.

You earn your metal in CSFTA very few cleared courses in a season and that is top shots.

Learn to think or sink
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Difficulty is a state of mind - very Zen

And of course your right.

I love the stuff where i can see people coming to a target and you can see it in the eyes......it is like they have a flashing blue light on thier heads

I am still amazed at how many dont do really simple things like watch the top shooters and see how they take shots, looking a face plates for patterns that tell you so much like wrong range estimation ofr wind effect and the simplest of them all, looking down the side of the barrel to see if the window is clear.

Practice tuff stuff and you will begin to improve the ratio and your confidence will improve.

Suddenly shots that spook become bread and butter.

Start close, get tough and then push the range till it tests, go tough again and push when the improvement shows through.

Most of the battle is in the brain
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    Try Lea valleys rested HFT comp,dates on the forum diary.Difficulty ranges from blast to ******!!
    But always interesting,15mm at 45yds+.Can get interesting when you wind up the setters.
    Love it when the opposition sees the course and craps themselves. .
    Gotta put the work in.
    HERX77 .
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.

Smile Ratgunner

I thought the course as shown was good, thought had been applied to backstop safety,

Targets were varied but too easily seen and hit for my taste, though I think it would be a real Git! in windy conditions?

So saying I have been fired in NTO's famous Kibby furnace so I like my courses hard and tough,

I like being made to think, and become immersed in calculating how to kill that Damned tin chicken, and being weird I take all my shots standing,

as for bits obscuring kill zones and moving in the wind, you don't need Luck to make your kill you need Skill and judgement,

Long Live NTO and his ilk

NB: NTO: Talk to Steyr they have Elementals on his courses, just Think! Demons, Goblins, Devils and reducers, Kinbrilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    I disagree.

I like it when vegatation is used as a factor and over the arc of the pellet too. You have to think about where that barrel is pointing (NOT WHAT the scope is seeing) and I have had some very fullfilling shots with all sorts of stuff in the way.

I shoot CSFTA which as a rule is a very hard league and this years first shoot at Bisleyy was a pure Peach of a course. Some really top shots had a tough course but it was still set out with all skills and statures having the same crack at the whip.

It is very interesting to see people make the same elemental mistakes and not learn from it even when they are given the information and tips on how to deal with a given situation.

But then, I cant be arsed to travel one end of the country to another for the sake of an HFT and as I work sat's, I cant afford to take the time off to have a 1 day up and 1 day back routine.

Ya pays ya money and ya makes ya choice.
    Ah........that would explain your passion for tough sh*t then.....

Originally quoted by Steyr

I love CSFTA - one of the best kept secrets in HFT.

Small but intense

Bisley were 1st up this year and put a stunner out - thier best by a long country mile.

You earn your metal in CSFTA very few cleared courses in a season and that is top shots.

Learn to think or sink
    Originally quoted by HERX77.

A course is a course, and difficulty is a state of the mind .
    If the courses don't get harder how can you improve your skills, after a while every one starts ending up with the same high scores;but not necessary the same satisfaction in getting it!
    HERX77 .
    This is the attitude which makes a proper HFT course, fun to build and fun to shoot.

I find no pleasure in having a someone walk around a course with me carrying a rule book, a vernier and a calibrated tape measure just to make sure the "hunter enviroment" complies.

An HFT course should be "au naturel" as much as possible and a challenge where the emphasis should be on a high score, not "clearing" a course.

Lea Valley have provided some superb courses and the one that Steyr refers to at Bisley on round 1 this year was absolutely brilliant.

Basingstoke members along with other CSFTA region club members have been building courses since the early 1990's. IMO thats how courses should be put together to keep interest going and a challenge.

To give an example, MVAC put a target out at about 43 yards a couple or so years back and when you looked at it, the barrel was pointing at a log about 20 yards away. Pellet flight lifted it above the log and dropped the target perfectly as was proved on a number of occasions. The target got pulled (very rare in CSFTA) though because a couple of people complained they couldn't see the target.

Each to there own though I guess

As far the the OP though, the course looks to be fine as an FT course, the winds obviously going to make an otherwise open course more challenging and the buildings at a different persepective. Reminds me a bit of Fords ranges, and they always put on a decent course considering the limitations of the grounds.

Bob
    Last edited by Prone Shooter; 08-12-2009 at 01:05 PM.
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975

Quote Originally Posted by jagxkrs View Post
    Doubt you will have to worry about putting on another UKAHFT event after the last abortion Bob
    Fear not, we're happy to stick with courses that allow designers to be creative and are naturally challenging AKA CSFTA. We'd already 80% decided not to offer the grounds for UKAHFT rules shoots again before the summer round and comments from you in particular, not Pete or Lou I add, re-enforced that decision. It was a case of quietly walking away, but since then, you've constantly snipped away, albeit snidley whenever you've had the chance.

We built the course strictly to the rules as we interpreted them with very limited resources. We didn't and couldn't afford for the organisers to withhold part of the fees because they had to change the course which we believed they could do if necessary. If there had been a serious problem with the design it should have been brought up at the time when we would have had time to make changes but nothing was said.

The two shoots that we have run for UKAHFT have both involved members giving up either their personal holiday allowance or in a couple of cases, loosing more than a days pay, to put on rounds in the South of England and the only thanks they get is people like you winging (actually thats not true, bar far most folks were far more proffesional and whilst that particular round was perhaps the easiest of the season, were courteous enough not to complain and that includes Pete and Lou).

Grow up, its water under the bridge now. We'll do what we do best in future and UKA can do what they do best. I'm not intentionally knocking UKAHFT, Pete and Lou have opened up HFT shooting nationally and done a cracking job and thats a good thing, it brings people to our sport and gives everyone a chance to compete nationally. UKAHFT should be applauded for that.

We've been doing what we do best since the early 1990's and its not always easy or indeed necessary to change something thats not broke, so we won't.

Our comps in the future will be what we are now refering to as "Classic" HFT which is a mixture of CSFTA and BARPC rules which allow us the freedom to be expressive. They'll be open to anyone who wants to have a good fun day out where the emphasis is on a very friendly enviroment and atmosphere and a challenging course of the old era.

Bob
    Last edited by Prone Shooter; 08-12-2009 at 01:00 PM.
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975

How hard should a course be just come to Christchurch and find out .We are not affiliated to anyone and just set the course up to have fun although Nasty Nigel does go over board sometime .

Quote Originally Posted by DIMMER0707 View Post
    How hard should a course be just come to Christchurch and find out .We are not affiliated to anyone and just set the course up to have fun although Nasty Nigel does go over board sometime .
    I'll agree with that statement.
    But a course is a course and equal to all that shoot it.
    Roy..
    Meon Valley Airgun Club .
    Christchurch HFT Team 2008/9

Quote Originally Posted by Roys View Post
    I'll agree with that statement.
    But a course is a course and equal to all that shoot it.
    Roy..
    Nice to see your still a member of the team for another 24 days mate .Then I suppose you will have to chance it to the mighty Meon .
    Hope ya well mate.

Quote Originally Posted by DIMMER0707 View Post
    Nice to see your still a member of the team for another 24 days mate .Then I suppose you will have to chance it to the mighty Meon .
    Hope ya well mate.
    I'm fine ta (sort of) I dont complain
    Just got to sort out next year with the best offer
    Roy..

I'm fine ta (sort of) I dont complain
    Just got to sort out next year with the best offer
    Roy..
    Come over to the Dark side Roy you know you want too.

Quote Originally Posted by yakker View Post
    Come over to the Dark side Roy you know you want too.
    You mean FAC
    Not allowed at hft sadly,something to do with safety

You mean FAC
    Not allowed at hft sadly,something to do with safety
    Never going to live that one down am i