Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How hard should a course be

Quote Originally Posted by Alegazmoz View Post
    Did you see that course aunty? .... looks like your gaff on a balmy summers day.
    I see the big fella's gone soft as well, since he took up with that UKAHFT flock.

'kinnard? .... I reckon they're spoiled.

arf!
    Sussex Juniors did well on the World's Course last year Gary but what happened to the rest of you It does not have to have a tree in front of it to make it a difficult shot mate
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons"

Alegazmoz is offline Southern Hunter Burger Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by jagxkrs View Post
    Sussex Juniors did well on the World's Course last year Gary but what happened to the rest of you It does not have to have a tree in front of it to make it a difficult shot mate
    You know I like trees .......
    I could ask you the same question .... Mr Over-sensitive
    As for difficult .. i've bin behind you in the queue for the burgler van.
    I thought i'd gone blind from starvation ....... 'til you moved.

arf!

are you visiting Mr Sparks & Co, or do we get the pleasure of your company tomorrow? .... all easy ... promise!

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    A lot of people confuse awkward with hard, take your average FT course for example, it'll be an absolute bitch to shoot without any 15mm's, only a few past 55y and no twigs infront of the kill. Compare courses with twigs infront of the kill to Quarry, Anston and Emley in the nationals. Plenty of obscured/awkward targets but unlike twigs, if the obstruction gets shot, it's still there for the next shooter.

I'm all for difficult/extreme courses as I usually enjoy them, what I don't have time for is lottery shots which are different depending on when you shoot them. The funny thing is I've shot with a few people who've said how easy the course is and none of them have been close to the top scores. You'd think with all the tough courses they're used to shooting, an easy unobstructed course would be cleared everytime?

Ryan
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

On ma dirt farm near Dudley in the Westmidlands.

Thumbs up

Ive not shot FT since,well since it was more like HFT but the three or four HFT comps Ive shot I thought the level of skill required and level of difficulty was abouts right.

Quote Originally Posted by Alegazmoz View Post
    You know I like trees .......
    I could ask you the same question .... Mr Over-sensitive
    As for difficult .. i've bin behind you in the queue for the burgler van.
    I thought i'd gone blind from starvation ....... 'til you moved.

arf!

are you visiting Mr Sparks & Co, or do we get the pleasure of your company tomorrow? .... all easy ... promise!
    Could'nt make it mate, Mrs spent my petrol money on Christmas crap
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons"

i think that course shown would be very easy on a calm day for a ft shooter and moderate to hard on a windy day as they can dial up , but for a hft shooter its a bit more difficult and on a windy day could be a nightmare if you are crap at ranging on the whole i think comps should be as hard as possible , they should make you think about your shot as well as the ranging part of it .steve puts on some courses at kibby that make you want to throw him in the effin lake!! but they are the same for everybody and 99% of em are shootable . some of them need a few people to cut down the vegetation before they will fall and thats why he needs a dousing but on the whole i enjoy em a great deal . the whole area at kibby is being landscaped and another lake put in so the place can only get better
    gunless but gordon brown can still eat my s--t

Quote Originally Posted by ateallthepies View Post
    I only watched about two minutes. I shoot mostly HFT as I don't like targets being all in full view from a sitting position as in other disciplines and find it boring.

IMO I like courses to be ultra hard with foliage and obstacles in the way and targets placed so you have to consult the HFT karma Sutra book of positions to get a shot off!
    I think at least half the targets should make you think, not only what their range is but how obstacles affect the path of the pellet with or without wind.

The trouble is is that all ages and sizes have to be catered for and left hookers as well.

Steve.
    Plus 1. You cant make them hard enough for me. The only thing I ask is that I can see the kill or partial. My pet hate is targets turned sideways where it takes skill to get into the KZ but then it becomes a lottery because they have left a load of oxygen between the kill plate and the paddle.

The only other one I took exception too was where the paddle was drilled out in the centre but the way it was hidden, this was not visible unless you looked really hard and through decent glass at that.

There is nothing wrong with leaving an open shot like these - part of the art of course setting is peg position so though the target looks easy, one can make the position a complete b*****D. However, does look like a lack of experience is being shown on that course.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by jagxkrs View Post
    The UK's had it pretty much spot on this year (Apart from one notable exception, nice carpark though) What I do hate is turning up to a shoot to find twigs/branches bouncing across the killzone or indeed the target totally obscured, that target is then a test of luck rather than skill and its not worth me driving 3 or 4 hrs to rely on luck
    I disagree.

I like it when vegatation is used as a factor and over the arc of the pellet too. You have to think about where that barrel is pointing (NOT WHAT the scope is seeing) and I have had some very fullfilling shots with all sorts of stuff in the way.

I shoot CSFTA which as a rule is a very hard league and this years first shoot at Bisleyy was a pure Peach of a course. Some really top shots had a tough course but it was still set out with all skills and statures having the same crack at the whip.

It is very interesting to see people make the same elemental mistakes and not learn from it even when they are given the information and tips on how to deal with a given situation.

But then, I cant be arsed to travel one end of the country to another for the sake of an HFT and as I work sat's, I cant afford to take the time off to have a 1 day up and 1 day back routine.

Ya pays ya money and ya makes ya choice.

Quote Originally Posted by simmmo View Post
    So all the whingeing people (the vocal minority) can have a good moan and brighten my day. If nobody moans then I feel I have failed.

Monkey

That is simply the perverse mentallity of a devious bast** course setter

More power to your elbow

A case in point was the SH round at Buxted yesterday. There were some really well thought out targets notably a caged rat I think where one side of the post gave you a third of a kill zone and an easy position to aim at and the other side or the post gave you 50% but with other stuff and awkward position to contend with.
    Also a 45 yarder full kill with solid wood right at the edge of the kill and a few yards nearer the shooter. With the wind blowing left to right you really had to think of not only the wind but what the pellet will do at the wood distance rather than the kill distance.

I had a bit of a tough but enjoyable time but I just wasn't thinking through each target as I should have done.

Hard is still good!

Steve.

Buxted County HFT Republic of Crowzilla Sussex
    Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    That is simply the perverse mentallity of a devious bast** course setter

More power to your elbow
    Thankyou.

Used to be a member at Bisley so I suppose I still have a bit of CSFTA in me, just prefer a few more reducers with a bit of veg in the way.

Monkey
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by ateallthepies View Post
    A case in point was the SH round at Buxted yesterday. There were some really well thought out targets notably a caged rat I think where one side of the post gave you a third of a kill zone and an easy position to aim at and the other side or the post gave you 50% but with other stuff and awkward position to contend with.
    Also a 45 yarder full kill with solid wood right at the edge of the kill and a few yards nearer the shooter. With the wind blowing left to right you really had to think of not only the wind but what the pellet will do at the wood distance rather than the kill distance.

I had a bit of a tough but enjoyable time but I just wasn't thinking through each target as I should have done.

Hard is still good!

Steve.
    Thankyou, you should come to the Sussex Open next year it will be UKAHFT legal but with the ground firmer and leaves on the trees, makes the woods much harder. Oh and the full quota of half obscured full size KZ allowed will be utilised rather than yesterdays one.

Monkey
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

Yep your woods are similar to ours minus the river of course. In summer it is very interesting with all the greenery and can be tricky to range find what with the hills and bumps!

Oh and smashing grub as well at your place, foot long french stick filled with bacon and mushrooms for a couple of quid! I only needed one all day

Steve.

Yep really looking forward to West London really like all the bumps and hollows and the way the wind goes around it.

See you there.

Andy

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    Quote Originally Posted by never too old View Post
    I must admit i have been slammed on this site for some of the courses i have set but when these same people shoot elswhere they find the courses easier and thier scores go up so i guess if none affiliated clubs put out difficult hft courses then we are doing some good, having said some people complain more appreciate what you are trying to do for them, so i say make courses hard because on the day its the same for everyone
    A course is a course, and difficulty is a state of the mind .
    If the courses don't get harder how can you improve your skills, after a while every one starts ending up with the same high scores;but not necessary the same satisfaction in getting it!
    HERX77 .
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.