Thread: Shooting bullets - a quick question

Shooting bullets - a quick question

I want to try bullets in my Parker Hale - previously I've used patched ball.

Do I need a wad between the powder and the bullet?
    Frank

No, you don't.

Shooting bullets

I bought my Parker Hale from Steve Medlock and it works fine with bullets; although the ones I now cast with the Lee die seem to work better than the ones Steve gave me to get me started. I think this is because the Lee bullets are a larger diameter and my light Triple 7 FFG load wasn't expanding the smaller sized bullets that Steve gave me. Brilliant fun and pretty accurate too!

Parker Hale

If you do any good with the bullets let us know. Iv got a Parker Hale 2 band navy in .577 and cant seem to get it to shoot bullets with any consistacy. With round ball and patch no problem in keeping em in the black at 50 metres freestanding but bullet hits all over the place, often sideways so you get a perfectly bullet shaped hole. Using a Lyman steel mold iv tried casting from pure lead steadily increasing hardness by adding wheel weights and tried different amounts of powder, between 50 and 80 grns of TS2. SWISS, evan equivelent charge by volume of 777 but no joy to date. Going to try using water pump grease as a lube next instead of wonderlube. Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    If you do any good with the bullets let us know. Iv got a Parker Hale 2 band navy in .577 and cant seem to get it to shoot bullets with any consistacy. With round ball and patch no problem in keeping em in the black at 50 metres freestanding but bullet hits all over the place, often sideways so you get a perfectly bullet shaped hole. Using a Lyman steel mold iv tried casting from pure lead steadily increasing hardness by adding wheel weights and tried different amounts of powder, between 50 and 80 grns of TS2. SWISS, evan equivelent charge by volume of 777 but no joy to date. Going to try using water pump grease as a lube next instead of wonderlube. Tim
    Hey Tim

I'm using 60gn of Pete Starley 'Medium' powder (I would have though TS2 was slightly too fine)

I'm using 577 Minie cast in SOFT lead from a Lee mould - have also got a stock cast from a Lyman & also RCBS moulds - does not seem to make much difference

With either my 3 band Enfield - or Dads 2 band (that does like the Lyman minie though) - I can keep all shots in the black (rested ) up to 200m

If I try & shoot without using the rest - they do tend to wander slightly - but thats the nut behind the gun causing that !

If you are getting bullet keyholing try dropping your loads - I think you are giving it too much Ooooomph - bith too much powder and/or too fine a powder will both not help

Cheers

Roy
    Last edited by harricook; 27-11-2009 at 11:00 AM.

Hi tim56, You should only use pure lead. Roof lead flashing is to hard as there is tin in it. I use lead purchased from the MLAGB and I have just been given some old Victorian gas pipe lead which will probably just as good. If the bullets are hitting the target sideways they are not expanding onto the rifling properly, your lead must be much to hard.

At 50M I use 79 grans of med powder with Lyman cast (shallow base) bullets in my Parker Hale 2 band rifle with no problems.

Dunno if it helps, but when I was looking to buy my Parker Hale, I spoke to Ken at Henry Kranks. When I said I wanted a PH Volunteer he asked what distances I would be shooting. When I said it would mainly be 25 or 50m, he sneered and said "Its like having a Formula 1 car to go to Morrissons in". He went on to say that the bullet wouldn't even be stabilised for the first 100 to 150 m

He may be right, but I still went on and bought one, knowing I was nowhere near shooting it to its potential
    Frank

minnie bullet

Many Thanks to all for advice. Only shot it at 25 yds yesterday so no problems at all. I know its very close for a .577 but heho if i cant hit the black at 25 i wont be hitting it at longer distance. These big bore muzzle loaders have huge grin factor apeal whatever the distance or accuracy of the shot. Will try and get some "PURE" lead and cast some more bullets before going back to the 50m range. Tim :