Thread: Old bsa 177 air rifle

Old bsa 177 air rifle

Can anyone please tell me a bit about this gun,it has been in the shed for many many years,i had did from my grandad when i was a kid.
    Martin

I reckon it's a "Break Down" model from 1937/8/9.
    The grand daddy of a long line of BSA break barrel models.
    Lucky you.
    David
    Old Dog Learning New Tricks

www.lomil.co.uk

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Yes early BSA break barrel. Shame its got in a bad state, but it will clean up pretty well and shoot fine once restored.

Would you have any idea on the value of this gun in its present condition.
    Martin

I would say in present condition about £40-£50 tops, and that figure is probably based on splitting the gun up and selling of the parts piecemeal.If you wanted to sell the gun complete, then nearer £40 than £50 IMHO.

A bit of wire wool soaking in old and lightly rubbed on all metal surfaces would probably smarten the gun up considerably If the rust has deeply pitted the metalwork then the only think you can do are either use it as is, attempt to polish the pitting out and re-blue, or spray with a good quality black spray paint in the hope that you fill some of the pitting up.

Lakey

edbear2 Guest
    As others have said....fine wire wool soaked in oil, and wipe with a cloth in between ......you will really be surprised at the difference!....also put 4-5 drops through the port in the air chamber and work the action a few times to give the washer a "drink"........BUT....I would recommend whipping it apart and having a quick check inside just to be safe.

If the two screws that hold the trigger guard come out O.K., and the screw that holds the cocking lever to the barrel......It would be a 5 minute job to unscrew the back off (leave the stock on, and pull the trigger slightly when first turning as it can catch in the slot).....then you can check inside that all is well......If no damage to the washer, then just a clean, check washer is tight, bit of grease on the spring, and it's good for another 50 years

I have one the same, that also had been left in a shed for donkeys years.....but luckily the owner lathered it in brown cosmoline grease or something similar....It was a sticky mess, but a good clean with paraffin, and the old wire wool revealed this;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7607860743867/

lovely looking rifle.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Well worth an effort at restoration.