Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to find a new club

How to find a new club

If you are looking for a new target club, there are a few lines of inquiry to follow beyond a simple Google. Definitely have a google, be aware that searching for "<Area> Gun Club" will likely bring back clay pigeon sites and shotgun clubs. If you are after rifle/airgun/pistol clubs, use specific, relevant search terms - e.g. "Portsmouth Rifle Clubs", "Target sport", "Target club" or just "shooting club".

Scotland - Most smallbore clubs in Scotland now affiliate to Scottish Target Shooting rather than the NSRA. But STS don't have a Clubfinder. So have a look on the Clubfinder Project (which does attempt to cover Scotland), and be prepared to break out your Google-fu.

Clubfinder Project
    A Clubfinder of all Rifle Clubs in the UK - Smallbore, Fullbore, FT. If I come across it, I add it. Perversely it now numbers >800 clubs - more than the NSRA and NRA Clubfinders combined. Don't ask me how that works. The NRA and NSRA lists are woefully incomplete.

British Shooting
    Although British Shooting's remit is to manage UKSport funding for ISSF/Olympic squad activities, their club finder covers clubs of all disciplines including Field Target and Fullbore Rifle.
    It is not comprehensive and they would appreciate club details being submitted for inclusion.

NSRA
    For .22, airgun and target crossbow clubs, consult the NSRA Club Finder.
    Also e-mail the NSRA at:
    info (at) nsra (dot) co (dot) uk

as some clubs have not given permission for their details to be published on the website(!?). The NSRA will be able to send you a complete and unabridged list of clubs in your area.

Also check the listings for counties adjoining yours (this goes for all the club-finders listed). There may be clubs on the border, within easy striking distance of yourself, but they will usually only be listed under the county they are physically located in, even if they service part of another county. Check you're not missing a club just down the road on the other side of the county line!

NRA
    For fullbore, gallery rifle, service rifle, match rifle, some practical rifle clubs, and various miscellaneous disciplines I've probably forgotten, check the NRA Club Finder

Again, contact the NRA directly to check if there are any other affiliated clubs in your area not listed online.
    The NRA are also on Facebook.

CPSA
    For Clay Pigeon sites, use the CPSA Club Finder.

OTHERS
    For clubs or disciplines not covered by those groups, again, contact the governing body for the discipline you are interested in, such as:

British Field Target Association
    UK Practical Shooting Association
    UK Fifty Cal Shooters Association
    Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain
    UK Association of Rimfire and Air Rifle Benchrest Shooting ("UKBR22")
    Four Islands (Practical Shooting / 3-Gun)

MAPS
    http://www.shootforum.com/forum/sfmap.html
    Airgun Club Map
    Bear in mind maps will feature numerous omissions as many clubs - particularly those with armouries and firearms stored on site - prefer to avoid publishing their geographic location widely (or on the internet) for security reasons, and only hand out directions individually as people enquire. Do not rely on them to list all the clubs in your area.
    Last edited by Hemmers; 23-04-2019 at 03:25 PM.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

If anyone is look for a target club in the South London, Surrey, Kingston, Surbiton, Morden. New Malden, Esher, Epsom, Norbiton, area etc.

I can help! I know all of the clubs and have great links with them.

Be it Air, FAC Air, 10 Metre Air, Full bore, small bore, benchrest etc.
    The only thing I cant really direct on is Clay shooting.

I'd be happy to help anyone looking!

Adam

Ps. Excellent thread Hemmers! Very thoughtful.

Westhan Pistol and Rifle club

We are open for new members. We are West Ham Pistol and Rifle club.A small Home office approved target club.

We practise smallbore on the 1st Tuesday each month in a small indoor range in Dagenham.

Blackpowder or Muzzle loading Pistol and Rifle, Pistol calibre rifle and smallbore at an outdoor range near Great Dunmow.

Fullbore (All calibres upto and including 50cal)
    2/3 Times a year at Lydd (Serial 45)Mod Range in Kent.

New members very welcome
    Please contact Paul Manning for details
    email on p.l_manning@yahoo.co.uk

Hemmers, you forgot smallbore and air rifle benchrest, UKBR22. There are a few of us on the BBS. Otherwise a brilliant post. I agree that it should be a sticky, preferably with as many links to associations ect as possible. No excuses for not finding what you need then. It's also handy for those of us that are already in a club but who may want to try a new disipline.

Alan

I am building an airgun database on google... if anyone knows of anything missing that they feel of value to add, please PM me or post details here.

the link is below so you can see how many clubs are already on it

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=...815918&t=h&z=6

On another forum I use there is a very comprehensive map of all type of shooting clubs, shops etc:

http://www.shootforum.com/forum/sfmap.html

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Great info on this Sticky!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hi I am looking to join a club in my local area. But it all seems confusing. I live near Bisley and the number of clubs here is good. But I don't really know which one will be most suitable.

I want to just do target shooting on a range. But want to progress upto the long distance stuff in time.

Any advice

Steve

Hi, yep - it can be intimidating. Dozens of disciplines, split across several NGBs and each with lots of clubs - and since most clubs only do a select few disciplines, it's important to find the right one before you part with the hard-earned.

Unfortunately, your query about "target shooting on a range" isn't terribly descriptive as it covers everything from 10m indoor air pistol to 1500yd shooting with beasts like .338 and .50!

You mention longer range stuff, so that would probably put you in the fullbore category - although "long range" is a relative term. 100yds with a .22 is "long range" for someone who's only shot 12ft.lb air rifle before!

You need to decide what sort of disciplines you are interested in - for instance:

- civilian service rifle
    - target rifle (i.e. jacket, sling, aperture sights, 300-1000yds)
    - match rifle (supine rifle shot at longer range - 900-1200yds - with telescopic sights)
    - F-class (benchrested target rifle)
    - McQueen
    - Running Deer
    - historic/black-powder/muzzle-loaders
    - .50cal

Having narrowed down your interest, you can identify an appropriate club based on that preference.

Based on your long distance comment, I'd suggest the NRA would be the most appropriate governing body to call and have a chat with about different disciplines and which clubs would be most suitable.
    Last edited by Hemmers; 03-08-2010 at 10:09 PM.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

Quote Originally Posted by stevieb View Post
    Hi I am looking to join a club in my local area. But it all seems confusing. I live near Bisley and the number of clubs here is good. But I don't really know which one will be most suitable.

I want to just do target shooting on a range. But want to progress upto the long distance stuff in time.

Any advice

Steve
    Join the BBS club. Only £30 the first year and we shoot twice a month. Mostly damn fine chaps too

Damn, need to slap the web monkey to get him to update the page.

List of August dates here.

any gun clubs in the york area ???

Anyone know of any clubs in the Leeds area. What are the normal joining fees and costs.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    I am building an airgun database on google... if anyone knows of anything missing that they feel of value to add, please PM me or post details here.

the link is below so you can see how many clubs are already on it

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=...815918&t=h&z=6
    Thanks for this, it helps to know of a close club to me!

Anyone interested in Airgun shooting in the Highlands are welcome to get in touch with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.

The club is Primarily a muzzle loaders & cartridge Rifle & Pistol club and has it's own range which is available anytime and the club would welcome any Airgun shooters.

Last edited by DedIdick; 05-12-2010 at 07:04 AM.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    Anyone interested in Airgun shooting in the Highlands are welcome to get in touch with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.

The club is Primarily a muzzle loaders & cartridge Rifle & Pistol club and has it's own range which is available anytime and the club would welcome any Airgun shooters.

Still room for lots more airgun shooters.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!