Thread: How to find a new club

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi, yep - it can be intimidating. Dozens of disciplines, split across several NGBs and each with lots of clubs - and since most clubs only do a select few disciplines, it's important to find the right one before you part with the hard-earned.

Unfortunately, your query about "target shooting on a range" isn't terribly descriptive as it covers everything from 10m indoor air pistol to 1500yd shooting with beasts like .338 and .50!

You mention longer range stuff, so that would probably put you in the fullbore category - although "long range" is a relative term. 100yds with a .22 is "long range" for someone who's only shot 12ft.lb air rifle before!

You need to decide what sort of disciplines you are interested in - for instance:

- civilian service rifle
    - target rifle (i.e. jacket, sling, aperture sights, 300-1000yds)
    - match rifle (supine rifle shot at longer range - 900-1200yds - with telescopic sights)
    - F-class (benchrested target rifle)
    - McQueen
    - Running Deer
    - historic/black-powder/muzzle-loaders
    - .50cal

Having narrowed down your interest, you can identify an appropriate club based on that preference.

Based on your long distance comment, I'd suggest the NRA would be the most appropriate governing body to call and have a chat with about different disciplines and which clubs would be most suitable.
    Last edited by Hemmers; 03-08-2010 at 10:09 PM.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation