View Poll Results: Put target numbers next to targets?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

45 76.27%
  • No

14 23.73%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Numbers by targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlts View Post
    What about the practically blind amongst us Spence? Past 15 yards I've no hope of seeing a target even if I pull the string and when there two or three targets on the same tree the numbers help a lot. Let's face it we all want to do. Well because of our shooting ability, not because we're lucky.

Ryan
    Spence can't afford a leup and a walther so tough sheeet

I have always said that if you can't be ar$ed to pull the string and therefore hit the wrong target thats just tough but on reflection it would be sad to beat someone by default just because they shot the wrong target .

The idea is to hit the target you were aiming at , hopefully that would be the one from the correct peg - better still your shooting partner may even tell you ????

Dave
    ]Never explain. Your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe it anyway. ~ Elbert Hubbard[

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingplinker View Post
    Spence can't afford a leup and a walther so tough sheeet

I have always said that if you can't be ar$ed to pull the string and therefore hit the wrong target thats just tough but on reflection it would be sad to beat someone by default just because they shot the wrong target .

The idea is to hit the target you were aiming at , hopefully that would be the one from the correct peg - better still your shooting partner may even tell you ????

Dave
    Not everyone can Dave, that's why I'm lucky. I need to pull the string so I know which direction to point the gun in! The amount of times my partner has had to confirm it the squirrel at the top of the tree it unreal.

Let's remember we do all this for fun, so making things like this as user friendly as possible is a good thing.

Ryan
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

What about the practically blind amongst us Spence? Past 15 yards I've no hope of seeing a target even if I pull the string and when there two or three targets on the same tree the numbers help a lot. Let's face it we all want to do. Well because of our shooting ability, not because we're lucky.

Ryan
    Stop Wan...g then

I have to admit, sometimes when I pull the string I still have problems finding the target espically in places like Buxted where the ground is full of leaves the same colour.
    Also saying that, I hope he doesn't mind me saying this but Simmo is almost as blind as a bat yet he's still a top scorer.
    |TX200 Club - Brighton HFT|
    Can you afford to guess if she's pregnant or not? Well now you can with the all new service revolver! Just 2 easy steps and your sorted. Point to your head then pull the trigger!

better still your shooting partner may even tell you ????

no one i know would !!

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontiac View Post
    Stop Wan...g then

I have to admit, sometimes when I pull the string I still have problems finding the target espically in places like Buxted where the ground is full of leaves the same colour.
    Also saying that, I hope he doesn't mind me saying this but Simmo is almost as blind as a bat yet he's still a top scorer.
    Too late for that mate I'll be married in two weeks! They're not necessary but if you have the option to, why not use them?

Did you get that ropeyold TX fixed?

Ryan
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

IF you decide to place numbers next to targets may I suggest that you vary the size of these numbers so that range finding by bracketing the numbers themselves cannot be done - NOT that anyone on here would do that!

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Too late for that mate I'll be married in two weeks! They're not necessary but if you have the option to, why not use them?

Did you get that ropeyold TX fixed?

Ryan
    I tried sending you a PM the other day sayin congrats etc.. but your inbox was full, Jeff has my TX and just gonna greece it up properly etc...

Be running smooth again soon
    |TX200 Club - Brighton HFT|
    Can you afford to guess if she's pregnant or not? Well now you can with the all new service revolver! Just 2 easy steps and your sorted. Point to your head then pull the trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    IF you decide to place numbers next to targets may I suggest that you vary the size of these numbers so that range finding by bracketing the numbers themselves cannot be done - NOT that anyone on here would do that!

ATB
    Ian
    Would you not need to know the size of the number plate to start with for this to work?

Steve

Buxted County HFT Republic of Crowzilla Sussex
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post

ATB
    Ian
    Very good point well presented.

People would quicly work out the no. sizes and put them to a bracketing chart.

After three years now of refusing to have anything other than a black faceplate with the odd exception I finally went to yellow with a black KZ on Sunday for setting the SH course, I mainly did this to stop people having to search for the targets and speed things up.

After all it is a shooting competition not a eyesight test. The yellow faceplates stood out like beacons and I think accompanied with strings that go in a straight line to the target that is probably more than enough help for people.

I wouldn't be able to read the no.s unless they were about 4 foot tall anyway.

Andy
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

Well I have cut up some different size number plates and will spray them all day-glow orange and yellow so they can be seen well.

I went down our club today and lets just say there must have been a bit of a down pour since I was last there. We now have one or two lakes!

Steve.

Numbers at the target

we at MAD dont do that but if anyone wants to make us another set of numbers and put them out and bring them in everytime we finish they are welcome to do that .
    Chaps get real, pull the bloody sting and shoot the target.
    Ian
    [Ian Bainbridge]

Big Dave is offline Formerly known as Badger410
    The UKAHFT rules 2009 state, "ALL shooting points to be clearly marked No's 1 to 30 inclusive. And likewise the corresponding targets"

HTH

I just looked on the Southern Hunters site and the events are indeed to a UKAHFT format and rules.

Took me a while to find the rules on the UKAHFT site but I found them under downloads and course format.

Steve.

Smile Ratgunner

Quote Originally Posted by rattycatcher View Post
    I think HFT is a test of your shooting skills, not a Crypton factor type competition where half the battle is having to decide which target you should be aiming at, so I would say numbers should be placed at the target.
    I agree,

But say that the number should always be placed to the right of the target as a standard,

The useful CHUNK! noise as a piece of the target number flies off will always be a useful reminder to aim off left.

Jesting apart, It helps us all, young not so young, experienced and not so experienced, and sadly highlights those that cheat.
    Last edited by ratgunner; 01-12-2009 at 10:43 PM.

We place the number where it clearly indicates one target only but we don't always place the number at the same distance as the target. It might be on a post ten yards further away than the target but directly above it when you look from the firing point.

Anyone aiming at (or focussing on in FT) such target numbers is making a mistake........