Thread: Collectable airguns-an observation

Collectable airguns-an observation

First off- this literally is just that-an observation not criticism.

When I first joined the BBS, some of the prices that classic springers were going for at that time were considerably less than they are today. I know there are a number of factors accounting for that- a pelthora of them in fact. But an interesting one is that the BBS itself is responsible for driving the prices up (nope-this is not a negative-just an observation). This section must be one of the primary sites for the aquisition of collectable air rifles now and plays a large part in maintaining prices at current levels.

Anyone else notice this? I recall purchasing a very nice clean example FWB 127 on here not long after joining for a price that would be almost unthinkable now (low)

Dave

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Yes you are right, there has been a certain BBS inflation, especially for particular items. But, thats the law of the market, sellers will charge what the market will bear, and since we've just come out of a boom prices have risen. FWB sports are an example, bought a very nice one for £150 in 2007 and several others wre offered at that price if I recall. Now you rarely see decent examples under £200. Same with Webley Omega's and others.

There is of course a finite supply of all of these things so prices will tend to rise, albeit slowly. If I have the patience I might trawl back through old posts and produce some statistics and graphs to enthral us all.....

Would be interesitng to compare to prices charged in dealers or the magazines.

Nevertheless, there are still bargains galore to be found here.

How does the rise in price of new airguns, which are usually readily available, compare ?

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

edbear2 Guest
    It's only on here mate.(and sometimes even here nice stuff comes on that is very reasonable to cheap even, and is gone in minutes ......as others have said, there are bargains galore out there......at prices far less than on here.....to be fair they are intermittent, but you would be very surprised at what pops up on gun sale websites in the way of nice collectable stuff.......the cheapies tend to be found in shotgun and rifle type shops that see very few airguns, and so have not much idea of their value....The only fly in the ointment is that these sites are checked and monitored by collectors in "the know"......and stuff goes the moment it is put up.

Other sources of bargains;

Car boots, (see below......this was a car boot find...talk to people.......I once got a lovely cadet major AND a mk 3 webley for £65 the pair......the guy had a couple of BSA scopes on the table, and some wasp pellets......I asked if he had any other airgun stuff.....he was hiding the guns in the car as he wasn't sure it was legal to display them at a car boot!)

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415222

Local auction houses (not gun ones.go for general sales/household stuff),
    People who may even live next door to you!......ask anyone you can think of to keep an eye out/put the word out........more than one gun has come to me this way.

Also......at the risk of giving everything away.....google etc. are your friends.....be creative, and dont just stick to "web" in your preferences.....
    Last edited by edbear2; 28-11-2009 at 03:26 PM.

Certainly it has hardened up prices. 80's mint rifles of collectable nature have risen because they are hard to find. They are still good value compared to a modern new gun.

What has pushed up the price of second hand shooting grade guns is the price of new stuff. Its been true for shotguns and full bore rifles too as new prices have risen 25% in the last few years!!

For springers there just hasn't been any technology changes so the old stuff is just as good. Plus sometimes the wood is better and the cost of a tune, better innards, can be budgeted for to boot. The end result is as good if not better than what's new off the shelf. What keeps the price down is the cost and availability of spare parts which is getting pricey and more difficult.

There are still plenty of bargains out there but a lot of it is luck and actually getting out there looking for the stuff.