Thread: light pattern dating please

light pattern dating please

hi all,could one of you very kind and knowledgable chaps date my.177 bsa light pattern please ,serial no is L 22082.just out of interest what sort of power output should i expect now i have fitted new spring and piston washer dont want a powerhouse just like to know.. many thanks ..greasemonkey

edbear2 Guest
    Hi...the number you have, comes out at early 1924 according to Hillers book, Power wise I have 2, and they run between 525 to 570 fps (neither have been fitted with new springs, but the best one has had a washer set)...so both are below 6 lbs.......I suspect a new spring will improve this, but they are such a sweet, accurate gun, and fine for out to 20 yard plus paper punching (I use R10's/hobbys/finale match) that, although I have a correct,new flatwound spring, I am saving it till the less powerful one is due for some work.

thanks edbear,must get that hilliers book,whats it called?,nice to know when it was born,the spring and washer are from mr knibbs,as you state the spring is flatwound and its very easy to cock,just finished putting it back together after a sympathetic restoration.bought it from a nice chap on this forum to complement my standard no2.i love these old beezers they point so nice and are built to last more than one lifetime..cheers..greasemonkey

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    thanks edbear,must get that hilliers book,whats it called?,nice to know when it was born,the spring and washer are from mr knibbs,as you state the spring is flatwound and its very easy to cock,just finished putting it back together after a sympathetic restoration.bought it from a nice chap on this forum to complement my standard no2.i love these old beezers they point so nice and are built to last more than one lifetime..cheers..greasemonkey
    Book details here.....(the values given in it are a bit out of date, but it is a pretty good guide to models and interesting reference book)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/qid=125964...irgun%20hiller

As you say, these guns are from a time when people expected quality for their hard earned money....there is not much being made today which, in 60-103 years time will still be working, and still be rebuild-able ready for a second lifetime of service

Here is one of mine;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...02212/sizes/l/

P.S........I have just checked the Book link to see if it was O.K.........Notice the Amazon "suggestion"...."did you mean"!!!!!!
    Last edited by edbear2; 01-12-2009 at 05:27 AM. Reason: noticed funny in link!

cheers for that edbear,i will invest in the rifle book and maybe the pistol one as well,"airgun hitler" well the mind boggles...atb..greasemonkey

Following on from edbear2 my light dated from 1925 puts out 6.2 ft lbs, where my Club Special from 1936 only manages 5 ft lbs. Both are resprung and re-washered and are very nice to shoot with the light just edging it because it is light!. For reference my Standard from 1929 puts out 10 ft lbs and is heavy and awkward. My light is the favourite, everyone should have one

ATB

MartNC

i will chrono mine at the weekend for comparison,though i should think it will be a little on the low side as not run in yet. i have put a couple of dozen pellets through it but yes is a sweet little gun to shoot,my standard no2 is also a 1929,i find this gun has the best open sights i have ever usen on any rifle ,airgun rimfire or centrefire ,yes it is longer and heavier than the light pattern but the radius and balance suits my eyes and 6ft 18st frame a treat..i can feel another project coming on ,a lincoln jefferies maybe?...cheers greasemonkey