Thread: Do Silencers on the CP99 Work

Question Do Silencers on the CP99 Work

As per title really chaps

Seen these adapters for the CP99 that allow fitment of a 1/2" silencer

Was just wondering if they actualy made a difference or is it all show no go so to speak

Was under the impression most noise emitted is from the co2 firing in the action

Thumbs up 99?

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    As per title really chaps

Seen these adapters for the CP99 that allow fitment of a 1/2" silencer

Was just wondering if they actualy made a difference or is it all show no go so to speak

Was under the impression most noise emitted is from the co2 firing in the action
    I had 1 with the official silencer, non effective as a silencer, but improves the the handling & balance a great deal with its weight so i always used it...Mike...

Quote Originally Posted by mickson View Post
    I had 1 with the official silencer, non effective as a silencer, but improves the the handling & balance a great deal with its weight so i always used it...Mike...
    That's probably more to do with the effectiveness of the official silencer. I don't have a CP99 but the official one for the Smith is an empty tube with a narrow aperture at the muzzle. My guess is the official CP99 would be similar. It mutes the crack a bit but isn't very good as a silencer. Putting a few baffles in should work wonders.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Almightyrastus is offline Let's hope the mods are in a kind mood
    That's exactly it, a short empty tube. I have tried mine with a logun silencer on and you get the proper film effect dull thud. Mind you the silencer tube is so fat that way that the front sight is useless.
    AA s200 with BSA contender 8-32 x 50 - .22
    AA S410 with 4-12x44 MTC Viper (.22 and .177 barrels)

Quote Originally Posted by Almightyrastus View Post
    I have tried mine with a logun silencer on and you get the proper film effect dull thud.

Thats exactly what Im hoping for to make indoor garage shooting as quiet as possible just got to try my HW silencer on it, any ideas on cheapest place for the 1/2" adapter? looked on the bay seem to be around £15

The adapter is a standard 1/2 thread so had one for my CP88's and CP99 then got a couple of SAK silencers and a spare HW, they really do make a differencejust a 'phut' from the muzzle and no real drop in FPS have a look at my siggy below for pics of them fitted, the 'extra' weight no real difference.

the place got mine from was SMK in Colchester £9.99 IIRC, give them a bell and let me know as if you want one I could pick one up for ya and post it a lot cheaper than they will probably charge

ATB

Simon
    Theoben TTR2 .20 KevG reg, PhilD valve and Ti stem, Bucketboy mod'd barrel and custom silencer / Weihrauch HW100KT .22

Cheers Simon apperciate that bud

The one in your sig look

Had a look on SMK website, see they are based in colchester, cant find the adapter on its own though have sent them an email.

Quote Originally Posted by simon1977 View Post
    The adapter is a standard 1/2 thread so had one for my CP88's and CP99 then got a couple of SAK silencers and a spare HW, they really do make a differencejust a 'phut' from the muzzle and no real drop in FPS have a look at my siggy below for pics of them fitted, the 'extra' weight no real difference.

the place got mine from was SMK in Colchester £9.99 IIRC, give them a bell and let me know as if you want one I could pick one up for ya and post it a lot cheaper than they will probably charge

ATB

Simon

Hi,

the adapter can't be got on its own AFAIK but this one comes with a short hollow sincer with a single sprung washer/baffle in it, not that quiet but the adapter is standard 1/2" thread so any usual 1/2 fits. Let us know if you're after one from SMK as can easily pick it up from them and forward it, they should come in either a silver/nickle finish or black both shoudl be same cost.

The one on my CP99 is a HW, the others on the CP88's are SAK's

HTH

Simon
    Theoben TTR2 .20 KevG reg, PhilD valve and Ti stem, Bucketboy mod'd barrel and custom silencer / Weihrauch HW100KT .22

Nice one Simon,

checking on there website the ones with silencer and adapter is £20 probably put there prices up since you last bought one bud

unless they had an offer on at the time?

Seen the adapter on which I might go for at £15

one question bud with the adapter and hw silencer can you still see the open sights ok?

Quote Originally Posted by simon1977 View Post
    Hi,

the adapter can't be got on its own AFAIK but this one comes with a short hollow sincer with a single sprung washer/baffle in it, not that quiet but the adapter is standard 1/2" thread so any usual 1/2 fits. Let us know if you're after one from SMK as can easily pick it up from them and forward it, they should come in either a silver/nickle finish or black both shoudl be same cost.

The one on my CP99 is a HW, the others on the CP88's are SAK's

HTH

Simon

The HW one is thin enough that can just about see the sights, the SAK ones though on my CP88 obscure it, but with the comp sights which are a tad higher you can still see them. The problem with the CP's is that the barrel is quite high up on the frame so any good silencer (of reasonable diameter) will get close or obscure the open sights, hence why I prefer a bridge on the CP99 and mod'd rail rear sight for the 88 for use with RDS.

piccies of my CP99 with different silencers on below:

HW (very quiet, all you hear is a slight phut!)

SAK (bit louder than a HW) (non moving internals with milled holes at right angles to pellet travel)

SMK Original (noisy but deadens sound a little bit but still makes a CO2 crack) (has 2 flat washer baffles dampened by springs inside)

Hope this helps

The price deffo has gone up a tad but again let us kow if can help out in any way

Simon
    Last edited by simon1977; 03-12-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Great stuff, thanks for posting the pictures fella, that helps loads mate good comparisons

I have the HW silencer in my collection so this is a no brainer, hw all the way

Finaly got round to getting a Adapter tried it with my HW silencer and all I can say is Wow Works much better than I expected the neighbours wont even know im in my garage

Old thread I know

But how are you getting on with the silenced CP99? I want to do something similar myself but it doesn't look in the ptictures as if you could use the sights?

PaulC

Quote Originally Posted by PaulCrane View Post
    But how are you getting on with the silenced CP99? I want to do something similar myself but it doesn't look in the ptictures as if you could use the sights?

PaulC
    Sadly I no longer own that pistol chap

From memory I think the HW silencer was obstructing or very close to seing the front sight, I only really tried it briefly.

I would of probably of gone for the Parker Hale silencer if there was sight problems, as the PH is very slim yet imo just as quiet as the HW silencer.

From memory though it really did make a difference with silencer attached, more than I ever expected from a co2 pistol.

Hth

Nick