Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Higher power = ?

Higher power = ?

What real benefit would a high power air rifle give over a 12fp version ? and does .22 / .177 make a huge difference at higher power.

sneaky beaky Guest
    thought id give you a reply as its only your tenth post... an f.a.c air rifle will give you a slightly extended range above the 30-40 (highly debateble) yrds max for a non f.a.c. gun (12ftlb)... increasing it to 50-60 (VERY highly debateble) for an f.a.c rated gun... you will get a bit more range... and you will also get alot better stopping power... the latter being more important... (i.m.h.o ) f.a.c.i.n.g an air-rifle go's through your local plod's selection... where as a 12ftlb air-rifle can be used on APPROVED land (pending age!) with minimum fuss as long as its used in a responsible manner and via current legislation + pest control acts H.T.H

Well in my experience I find that not really much point in having 177 in FAC as .22 will reach same velocities, all will reach the speed of sound so need to be set lower to keep accuracy

At 12ftlb I actually prefer .177 these days

A decent .22 FAC air rifle will give a much extended range in the right hands, its all down to experience and weather conditions, I take 80-90 yd (and more) shots if the conditions are perfect, also of course the FAC will hit considerably harder making, for example, shoulder/heart shots on rabbits a humane choice in pest control situations

Baz

Speedy,
    For some horribly powerful, but devastatingly beautiful airguns, have a look at WWW.glbarnes.com

Ogri the trog
    Improvise, Adapt & Overcome

Thanks for the replies, very helpful. I have permission to shoot on my father in laws farm (3500 acres) it ranges from woodland to ploughed fields etc. They run a large game shoot also so there's lots of cover and rough. The place has more woodies than I can count and bunnies, tree rats and rats in abundance. Hares, foxes and various deer, but I would,nt go near those with an air rifle FAC or not. I have no FAC but will probably apply soon, I've just tried partridge shooting last week and also clay shooting this weekend. Even managed to go out lamping with the keeper and rifleman the other night which was very interesting indeed.
    The thought of a higher power air rifle does interest me but I'm not sure that I'd be ready for a rifle just yet.

Could anyone point me to a good source of info on applying for an FAC, do you apply for calibers under different certs or are they all covered on the one ?

Regards John

wornspring Guest
    Try googling BASC ,and UK gov home office then search for the relative info Unless airguns are going to be all ticket affairs i'm not FACing personally

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    A .22 FAC airgun at about 25-30 FP with 16 grain AA Fields/JSBs is a VERY much more effective tool than a 12 FP airgun - well worth it IMHO.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk but originally a Brummie
    Hi Speedy,

Is that Cavenham in Suffolk? If so we're practically next door neighbours.

If you've got your SGC and have a shottie why not come to the BBS clayshoot at Lakenheath this saturday 2nd Oct?

Be good to see you there.

Cheers,

AndyB

AndrewB, yes thats the one but I have no FAC at all yet.

BuddyBoy, thats what I was thinking. I have an S410 (.177) ATM and its a great air rifle combined with a good scope but I would like a little more range and power if possible.

Again thanks for any advice or views.

Originally posted by sneaky beaky
    thought id give you a reply as its only your tenth post... an f.a.c air rifle will give you a slightly extended range above the 30-40 (highly debateble) yrds max for a non f.a.c. gun (12ftlb)... increasing it to 50-60 (VERY highly debateble) for an f.a.c rated gun... you will get a bit more range... and you will also get alot better stopping power... the latter being more important... (i.m.h.o )
    Hmm.. where exactly is the "debate" on this one, Beaky?

I'd say 30-40 yards with a 12fpe rifle is less "debatable" than "common practice" in most parts?

Certainly I have my kit zeroed at 35 yards and can bop bunnies off all day long at that range, out to a self-imposed max of 45 yards, providing the conditions are right

Your max hunting range should be dictated at the range at which you can comfortably place all your shots within the required kill zones, with an extremely high rate of repeatability.

The only way to achieve this is through practice using inanimate targets, but once you've reached the standard required then the "debate" is removed from the equation

ATB,

Dan

When applying for an FAC for an air rifle do you have to state the power or are you covered for everything over 12fbs.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Originally posted by speedyj
    When applying for an FAC for an air rifle do you have to state the power or are you covered for everything over 12fbs.
    No power stipulated, just calibre
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Originally posted by Taff Williams
    Speedy,
    For some horribly powerful, but devastatingly beautiful airguns, have a look at WWW.glbarnes.com

Ogri the trog
    That is some site! He sure knows how to make some beautiful rifles. Works of art they are.

sneaky beaky Guest
    Originally posted by Geordie
    Hmm.. where exactly is the "debate" on this one, Beaky?

I'd say 30-40 yards with a 12fpe rifle is less "debatable" than "common practice" in most parts?

Certainly I have my kit zeroed at 35 yards and can bop bunnies off all day long at that range, out to a self-imposed max of 45 yards, providing the conditions are right

Your max hunting range should be dictated at the range at which you can comfortably place all your shots within the required kill zones, with an extremely high rate of repeatability.

The only way to achieve this is through practice using inanimate targets, but once you've reached the standard required then the "debate" is removed from the equation

ATB,

Dan
    hmmm... debatable by the range of your own personal skills and also debatable by everyone being individual... as in different views...

or are we going to start a debate on the use of the word debatable...

Your max hunting range should be dictated at the range at which you can comfortably place all your shots within the required kill zones, with an extremely high rate of repeatability, should go without saying (full.)

A.T.B
    Last edited by sneaky beaky; 28-09-2004 at 11:11 PM.

I think an important word as far as effective range of SHOOTER, is practice, and I have done years of it, hence confident of greatly extended range provided by FAC power

Baz