Thread: Piston washer/chamber lube...what do YOU use?

edbear2 Guest

Piston washer/chamber lube...what do YOU use?

In replying to the earlier Cadet thread, I remember a conversation I had a while ago with John Knibbs....He said that Tallow was a common washer lube years ago, and I have heard of this and grease (on the washer, and of course we are talking leather here) being used. I, on all my guns, do as was recommended in all the books/articles of my youth, and use Cengar Green oil *at the rate of 2-3 drops every tin of pellets or so....you get very slight dieselling at first, then they settle down.

*http://www.cengar.co.uk/pages/e-green-oil.html

What do all you other guys out in BBS land use, and why?....We are talking vintage/leather here.

Here is an in depth article about lubricating leather, just to throw a spanner in the works.......

http://www.jarnaginco.com/leather%20preservation.htm

hi edbear,i believe mr knibbs told me lard but i could be mistaken,anyway i use neats foot oil having seen how it makes old leather supple.seems to work for me.i think plain old vegtable cooking oil would do the trick at a pinch as it is the right viscosity and non mineral .cheers greasemonkey

Hi Eddie, in my youth I used good old Three in one oil not good, plenty of dieselling which we lads thought was cool being able to blow smoke from the barrel like "Hopalong" Cassidy.
    These days I use sunflower oil, it doesn't diesel the same but I find its very good. I still find that Three in one is useful for cleaning rust though..

Dave...

leather piston washer oil

hemp seed oil from tescos "good oil" brand & very nice on salads too!