Thread: Daystate Select = made by JSB??...+ group shift???

edbear2 Guest

Question Daystate Select = made by JSB??...+ group shift???

Have been trying various pellets through my Model D .177, to see which are the most consistent, with the view to getting a few tins at once with both economy and the same batch in mind. Just want to have loads on hand so I can get to grips with aiming off at various ranges, and having confidence in my ammo.

Anyway, have progressed from H+N FTT in 4.52, to Air Arms Field in 4.52, which I believe are actually JSB exacts?...

Was happy with the Fields,and then saw some Daystate select FT pellets in a 4.53....So, with my fuzzy logic, I thought "well, they should be better in an old barrel surely

Like a muppet, I first tried them at work in a cold (4 degrees) warehouse....were shooting 15mm high....so remembering a thread a while back I posted, I put this down to the fact that I zeroed the gun a couple of months back when it was much warmer...Also, it was not grouping as well as before, so I popped the back off and discovered the washer screw was a bit loose....gave it all a check, back together...exactly the same...

So tonight, at home, (with the heating left on all day to get over the temperature thing), I chrono'd the gun with the Daystates...high 580's.....now this seemed slow, so I fed it some Air Arms.......Straight up to a consistent 640 .....and it is now back to grouping at pellet on pellet at 8 yards rested...whereas it was STILL shooting slightly high, and with bigger groups with the Daystates....(same weight pellets)

The Moral.......dunno really,...you should try lots of different ammo to see what your guns like.....but it can get expensive

Eddie, you need to use vintage pellets sourced from a carboot sale @ £1 and just shoot some tin cans, then you will cheer up Seriously though it's interesting to hear how the old I.M.D. likes modern pellets, I was getting some good groups with .22 Superdomes today

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Prewar View Post
    Eddie, you need to use vintage pellets sourced from a carboot sale @ £1 and just shoot some tin cans, then you will cheer up
    Have a look at some of these groups.trouble is, these are at 8-10 yards, rested and sitting,.......and they start going a bit haywire past 20 yards......the new stuff is, on close examination, much higher quality (but not much better in terms of size variation in some cases!... and some of these pellets cost more than crosman prems due to being in collectable tins/packs..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7616669873978/

As you say, superdomes are good, as are others mentioned on here in numerous threads, but I am on a mission to get the best out of the old girl

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    I am on a mission to get the best out of the old girl
    Convert it to precharged and get some Sussex Sabo's

Most interesting thread,could only be better with pics of the pellets(after firing)itd be interesting to see the rifling marks.thanks for sharing this.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SLUGGY View Post
    Most interesting thread,could only be better with pics of the pellets(after firing)itd be interesting to see the rifling marks.thanks for sharing this.
    I will do this and post them for you!.......have given up now and removed the sights from the gun (they were locktited at a 6 yard zero, with a second zero at 25 yards).....as the thing is now shooting zero at 3 yards, and is 30mm high all the way out to 25 plus yards.....so am going to start again today, and reset at 6 yards!

The rear aperture was slowly moving under recoil...(even with removing and tensioning the jib strip type side tensioning spring )it is a quite basic unit, so I decided to lock the damn thing after careful zeroing.....It has proved very reliable up to now, but maybe, as others have said it needs a winter/summer setting

P.S.......anyone here tried chairgun, and can help with this;

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/show...26#post3958026

Top job,im getting a pellet sizer sent from t r robbs so i can investigate how pellet size affects recoil and grouping.looking forewards to your next installment