Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Target air pistol

Tau 7

My Tau 7 is set to 460 fps and returns 90 - 100 shots from a 12g CO2 cartridge. The last 5 shots fall off very quickly and its obvious from the sound that the gas is running out. Its a great pity that this pistol is no longer made - it really is worthwhile trying to find one. I managed to get spare valve parts from Potter Firearms in Australia - could not find any elsewhere.
    IanR
    Daystate MK4 S .177 ~ Steyr LP2 ~ Brno Tau-7

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by sol1821 View Post
    hey nick just wondering why is it no good on double action after being tuned? is it to do with recoil or? i no nothing about the rohm pistols, other than there big shiny and cost megga bucks.
    sol
    To get good power from a hammer-valve mechanism multi shot PCP the hammer strike has to overcome the force of the gas pressure holding the valve shut, upping the pressure means you have to uprate the hammer spring & for double action the trigger cocks the hammer so the trigger becomes quite heavy.
    This is a major reason that most PCP air pistols and rifles have bolt action cocking,
    Regards,
    Nick

sol1821 is offline I'm back from resting, and I have the Jaffacakes!!
    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    To get good power from a hammer-valve mechanism multi shot PCP the hammer strike has to overcome the force of the gas pressure holding the valve shut, upping the pressure means you have to uprate the hammer spring & for double action the trigger cocks the hammer so the trigger becomes quite heavy.
    This is a major reason that most PCP air pistols and rifles have bolt action cocking,
    Regards,
    Nick
    ah i see,
    cheers
    Particle physics gives me a hadron.
    Sliced bread.
    The best thing since ripped up bread.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lykins View Post
    Found this info I have a 717 & could not agree more with what this fella wrote about it

"
    The Daisy 717, 747 and 777

The Daisy 717 first appeared back in the 1970s, and serious target shooters looked down it it from the beginning. I mean, it’s a Daisy, for goodness sake- they make BB guns! and it looked pretty crude, too, with a cast white metal frame, brass barrel, and cheap plastic grips. And then something strange happened- 717s started showing up at matches, and winning them. These were guns pretty much right out of the box, too, with stock poweplant and grips, and occasionally modified sights. A $50 gun from Arkansas was beating some very fancy $250+ European guns, particularly when given a trigger job developed by shooting legend Don Nygord, who published it in the April 1980 American Marksman. http://mind.dreamhost.com/gallery2/m...serialNumber=1
    Daisy took notice of this, and started making two improved versions- the 747, which is identical, save for a Lothar Walther steel barrel in place of the stock barrel, and the 777 (now discontinued), which added better metal sights, an adjustible trigger, and wood grips. Being a poor grad student in the 1980s, I bought a 717, and with it learned the basics of good pistol shooting. I made my own custom hand-fitting grips out of epoxy, but otherwise left it alone.
    What made this gun so good right out of the box? For one thing, it had a single-stroke pneumatic poweplant, a fairly new concept in those days. The result was exceptional shot to shot consistency- far better than most spring guns, and a lot better than many of the new CO2 powered match guns. A few drops of Daisy oil on the compression chamber O-ring and an occasional swab of the barrel were all that were needed to keep it shooting in the X-ring. The excellent balance and long sight radius helped, too.
    The 717 and 747 are still an excellent choice for the new- and maybe intermediate- target and silhouette shooter. With retail prices as low as $138 for the 747 and $110 for the 717, it’s hard to find a better value in a target pistol today."
    I like my 747 sure enough! It hits exactly where it's pointed, at 6 yards.

Only problem is that it's quite a (one-hand) handfull. As you'll deduce when Paddy posts the scores from the 6 Yard comp!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Wether or not you nótice its out of CO2 with the Tau 7 depends on: powersetting and pellets used (strangely..).
    Mine is set at very low velocity. Thus it does about 120 or more shots on a 12gr bulbs. I usually dont notice CO2 is out maybe untill the very last shot. After that shot, the pistol is DEAD. COMPLETELY empty!
    Thats with pistolmatch pellets. With riflematch, I dó notice it far earlier; the shot feels weird, like the hammer bounces or something. And shots come off HIGH?? Always fun, those Tau's!
    There are 2 Tau 7's 4 sale at egun.de, auctionsite in germany. I also know 1 dutch gunshop that shóuld have a sechand 1.
    Pitty they're all Standard models. The higher models are better.
    Chambers has some Tau spares by the way, and in the US topgun airguns should have some too.
    I bought all the spares from our importer here..
    ATB,
    yana

Original 6M

Original 6M would be perfect. No recoil and really easy break barrel action. They come up now and again for £100-£150ish, you wont find much better for that kind of money! The aforementioned daisies are superb but very heavy to shoot one handed.

Oops! That's that thread resurrected then!

Quote Originally Posted by zpaulg View Post
    The aforementioned daisies are superb but very heavy to shoot one handed.
    Quote Originally Posted by zpaulg View Post
    Oops! That's that thread resurrected then!
    Definitely a resurrection, yes

...but now you've done the deed I may as well chip in with my agreement about the Daisy 7x7 series - when they do come up for sale they are always underpriced, in my opinion. They're superb value, very nice to shoot but they are quite heavy.

I've no plans to sell mine though!

co2

hi try the Crossman 2040 it is single shot and accurate and can be upgraded or the rat catcher both good guns but you can get them in .177 good shooting