Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BSF - the most characterful rifle OF ALL TIME?

Hi all BSF fans!

I have following BSF in my collection Mod 20, 35, 45, 50, 54, 55, 60 and 70 but all are in 4,5.

I am looking for a Mod 55 in caliber 5,5 (22)

Anyone who knows were i could find any?

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post

btw, a couple of years ago i saw a gobsmackingly good condition BSF underlever hung on the wall of an antique emporium, i didn't have the paltry £175 that they were asking for it, when i went back with the sov's, it was gone
    A couple of years ago I travelled to a local gun shop to see a tatty '54 I heard through the grapevine that they had for sale for £75. The shop was closed - half day!
    I went back the following morning and, while waiting my turn to be served the shop owner answered the phone and, yes, you guess it, sold the '54.
    If it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all!

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Nice thread, i have the following Bsf products in my collection Bsf 20 standard .177, Bsf 54 Standard Underlever.177 Bsf S70 .22 but mine is in a rather nice beech stock and has a back sight adjustable with a slider for elevation. It came complete with a period Bushnell Scopechef mark 4 4X32 scope. I hope one day to add a 55 in .22 calibre. atb.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    In contrast to this info- I seem to recall an old article in AGW where a chap had a '54 in .177 giving out close to 21 ft llbs. I think I recall the article being about supersonic velocities in air gun ammo.

So, aside of the rarity issue, what made these guns so powerful for their size? It cant really be the swept volume of the guns as their proportions dont lend themselves to it. Was it the first use of a very very stout mainspring-
    Dave
    I remember a .177 S54 Bayern that was 'on ticket' at about 14.5 ft/lbs, in an AGW article about a bloke who blew all his money on that gun, a FWB Sport with trick guts, and an FAC Normay Vixen. I vaguely remember the supersonic article, but I don't think you need 21 ft/lbs to go super in .177 do you? Or do you?

The guns have very strong breech-sealing lockups, the springs are very stout as you say and also are under a huge amount of pre-load. I don't know what effect pre-load might have but it seems to increase piston velocity from the start of the stroke ... one of the physicists will be along to yay or nay...

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by BSF55 View Post
    Hi all BSF fans!

I have following BSF in my collection Mod 20, 35, 45, 50, 54, 55, 60 and 70 but all are in 4,5.

Andy
    Well, there is one for sale on the BBS about once a year, so keep checking the Sales section or the Collector's Section.

Alternatively, have a look at egun.de - you might get lucky!

Hi all BSF fans!

Andy
    I have got one for sale B55, standard in .22. It's a working gun - not mint
    £200, if you or anyone else is interested,
    Last edited by mainspring; 07-12-2009 at 02:52 PM.

Bsf s54...

I got my BSF-S54 when the local gunshop accidently sold my rifle to someone else... I misplaced the receipt for it and they lost the tag and, well, it left with someone else. It was a Webley sidelever. Because I hadn't completed the transfer to my license before they sold it, there was no other record of the owner, but they always promised me that when (if) I found the receipt, they would take care of me.

When I went back there fifteen years later, after finding the receipt when it fell out of a book, I was surprised that they still considered it a valid debt. They couldn't give me the Webley back ( that was when I learned what happened to it ) but they did offer me the S54/.22 in return for just $50 more (25 pounds).. With a free rifle bag.

So I ended up paying around 100 pound for it all up Nice rifle too at around 10 ft/lb. I tend to use the open sights too. - good for short range to about 20m. I think no one wanted it because it was HUGE compared to all the little gamo's and other rifles there.

Something about it struck my eye though and I accepted it.

Here's a recent pic... That's a modified Gen1 ex-military scope with a Gen3 tube in it that I've been working on... I wasn't planning on keeping the scope on it, though that particular scope would probably survive a springer like the S54.

http://general.blackice.com.au/pics/gen3/mounted.jpg

I think it's a nice contrast between the old and the new, although the scope is a little retro as well - probably a 30 year old design.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by cj7hawk View Post
    I think it's a nice contrast between the old and the new, although the scope is a little retro as well - probably a 30 year old design.

David.
    That massive nightscope looks really cool! The S54 design is at least 60 years old. Macarri bits are good to fit, he does a nice spring for this rifle. You have to have a license for air-rifles in Perth? Do the laws differ from state to state?

Perth.

Macarri? I'll have to look that one up. I don't know a lot about what's available for this model and nothing is available in Australia ( I know that much without looking ).

I have an "A" class license... It's mandatory for air rifles in Australia.

And yes, Australia now has uniform gun laws, except for WA which went their own way as soon as they came in... It's very difficult to get a license here at all now...

David

Quote Originally Posted by cj7hawk View Post
    Macarri? I'll have to look that one up. I don't know a lot about what's available for this model and nothing is available in Australia ( I know that much without looking ).
    This is the spring he sells ...

http://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/...488/562939.htm

You can adjust the power up by fitting washers at the piston end of the spring. Good quality and not very expensive.

Bsf b55

And featured in AGW for Jan 2010. Just bought my copy 10mins ago.

Its time to get this BSF thread upp again.

still looking for a BSF 55 in caliber 22.

And one more question is there any big problems in sending airguns to UK from Sweden?
    I have some "extras" in my BSF/Bavaria collection that i have plans too sell.

Andy

Its time to get this BSF thread upp again.

still looking for a BSF 55 in caliber 22.

And one more question is there any big problems in sending airguns to UK from Sweden?
    I have some "extras" in my BSF/Bavaria collection that i have plans too sell.

Andy
    Andy as long as the guns are UK legal, power-wise, and you can find a carrier who's willing, there's no problem at all with sending them here.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.