Thread: BSA Superstar

BSA Superstar

I was offered a BSA Superstar, recently. Are they any good? The do not seem to have been produced for long and I suppose they could never compete with the HW underlever rifles. Or am I wrong?

Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphoon View Post
    I was offered a BSA Superstar, recently. Are they any good? The do not seem to have been produced for long and I suppose they could never compete with the HW underlever rifles. Or am I wrong?
    Hi Charlie
    I owned a .177 for a few years in Carbine length
    Power was just over 10 ft lbs. Accuracy was 1.5 inches at 50 yds off bench(10 shots) with AA pellets
    I could have increased the power by adding weight inside piston, but I was offered a (non adjustable)gas ram and so fitted that

Power went up to very close to limit, accuracy stayed the same but cocking effort was excessive. A friends full length one was also modded and was more comfortable to cock
    One weakness in the Superstar is the small diameter and hardness of forend screws which can break particularly if a gas ram is fitted

The finish and quality were close to HW77 standard but not quite there and the trigger was very good but then so is the Record trigger
    My only other criticism would be the soft laquer finish to the nicely shaped stock is very easily marked(perhaps cellulose)
    But, all in all, I think it was a splendid airgun and one of the best British spring rifles ever made. Personally, I may buy another(but full length next time)
    ATBest
    John
    hold me back !!

Hello Rockphoon

I can only echo what John said apart from the fact that i have both the HW77 and the BSA superstar (and Goldstar too), both of the beesas are the smoothest cocking rifles that i have ever owned and the triggers are quite superb

here's mine-

>>>Superstar K<<<

>>>again<<<

>>>Goldstar<<<

>>>again<<<

>>>HW77<<<

>>>again<<<

i haven't tested the ME as yet but i can tell from shooting down the back garden thet neither are lacking power

Regards, John...
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I've got one at the moment, it's got the best trigger I've ever used on any rifle, good build quality and I think it can give any HW a run for it's money.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I have a MK II carbine in .22 and had a theoben HE one when they came out and they are nice guns.

Never was anywhere close to the HW77 for balance, trigger and accuracy though........

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I had a go with the one that Jon Budd owns and I think it is the best fixed-barrel springer that BSA ever made. Lighter and more pointable than the HW77, and that roller-breach ain't going to chop off anyone's fingers! It's got open sights too, something the TX200 hasn't got, and the stock is very comfortable.

I preferred it to its sister rifle, the heavier, magazine-loading BSA Goldstar.

(IMO the nicest break-barrel BSA was the late-model BSA Mercury-S)

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I had a go with the one that Jon Budd owns and I think it is the best fixed-barrel springer that BSA ever made. Lighter and more pointable than the HW77, and that roller-breach ain't going to chop off anyone's fingers! It's got open sights too, something the TX200 hasn't got, and the stock is very comfortable.

I preferred it to its sister rifle, the heavier, magazine-loading BSA Goldstar.

(IMO the nicest break-barrel BSA was the late-model BSA Mercury-S)
    I think I have to agree with you there old bean

If it just had a built in silencer like the 97k or even the TXs just to keep the looks in line, then it would be perfect.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I recently purchased one and am very pleased with it. There is plenty of power there and its really nice to shoot can reccomend them

They sound like good rifles. I might be the one I have been offered. Many thanks for all your comments.

superstar

i had one in .22 format, the trigger was not a patch on the record unit on my hw 77 and hw80 and it was no way as accurate by a long shot.
    hw 80 .22 mk1
    sharp innova .22
    hw 95 177