Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: question re mini revolvers

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by beagle2 View Post
    The main reason for asking this question in the first place Is that I feel there must be people out there who would like to try black powder pistol shooting. But are put off by the size and weight of most most of the guns one sees being fired Ie the remingtons and colts etc no dought there are specalist guns out there at stupid prices that an ordenary person could not afford. With the NAA guns they are cheep good quality and light. The idea would be to try and find if they have a uk importer and if so see if they could get them suplied by the makers to uk bp spec. There could be a market out ther for smaller guns for people who cannot manage the larger ones.
    The problem with the NAA mini-revolvers is that they are VERY small: some of them weighing only about 4 ounces, and being les than 4 inches in overall length. Couple that with the difficulty of loading a tiny .22 with miniscule percussion caps, bullets, and powder charges: I think they would be more of a novelty item, a change of pace pistol for someone who already owns a bigger percussion, than as an introduction to the sport for a new shooter.

A shorter-barelled .36 would probably be better for that purpose. Or a .31, if you can find one.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Thanks for that Jim I do like the look of the remingtons but they do look to be quite big guns. The ones with the shorter barrels look better as I prefer the old single hand way of shooting and being a bit long in the tooth as well. As you have one how dose it compair to your co2 smith for size and waight etc to give me some idea.

Pat

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Hi, Pat!

Here in the US we have the opposite problem that you do in the UK with pistols. The good part is that cartridge pistols are legal, readily available without much hassle, and there are a fair number of ranges where you can shoot them. The bad part is that because of this, there's much less interest in black powder and air guns, and fewer places that cater to them.

I belong to an indoor pistol range, but they don't permit black powder. Since I live in an urban area and have no access to rural land or an outdoor range, I'm limited to firing my 1858 Remington at my indoor pistol range, using a cartridge converter (illegal in the UK). with low-powered, .45 Colt smokeless cartridges. (They load them commercially here for the sport of Cowboy Action Shooting).

I figure that smokeless will suffice, until I am able to shoot the real stuff!

I have small hands, am 58 and not an athlete, though I do exercise with weights. I find the Remington quite comfortable to hold and shoot: much nicer in the hands than the CO2 Smith, which weighs as much as its cartridge counterpart (around 40 ounces). I attribute this to the grip design of the Remington: I believe that single action revolvers are much more comfortable to hold and shoot than double actions.

The Remington, at least with the smokeless loads, has a recoil that's noticeable, but quite pleasant. Again, the single action grip allows it to roll-up in your hand: you don't get the "slam" that you get from centerfire double action revolvers.

My Remington is a .44. You might try a .36.

The best thing for you to do would be to visit a range where they shoot BP pistols. This would give you a chance to handle, and maybe shoot, a variety of these revolvers, so you can see what feels best in your hands. Second best thing would be to stop by a gunshop that sells them, where at least you'll be able to hold them, if not fire them.

Good luck and good shooting with whatever you select!

Jim
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 09-12-2009 at 09:51 PM.
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Thanks for that Jim I will be looking in to it further to see if there is a club in my area a nice little stainless steel remington .36 with the short barrel would do me nicley I think.

Pat
    Last edited by beagle2; 09-12-2009 at 07:33 PM.